Posted to rec.food.preserving
Sindir

Default Jelly from store bought juice

How do I know how much juice to use? Do I follow the same recipe I have for
grape jelly or the recipe for apple jelly?

Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob

Sindir wrote:
> How do I know how much juice to use? Do I follow the same recipe I have for
> grape jelly or the recipe for apple jelly?

You follow the directions on the package of pectin. It will vary a
little from one type of juice to the next. If you're using something
weird and it's not listed on the package, follow the directions for
using cherry juice because cherries don't have any significant pectin of
their own. (I just made up that last part, but I think it will work.)

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Joneses

zxcvbob wrote:

> Sindir wrote:
> > How do I know how much juice to use? Do I follow the same recipe I have for
> > grape jelly or the recipe for apple jelly?
> >

> You follow the directions on the package of pectin. It will vary a
> little from one type of juice to the next. If you're using something
> weird and it's not listed on the package, follow the directions for
> using cherry juice because cherries don't have any significant pectin of
> their own. (I just made up that last part, but I think it will work.)
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

I'd use that one for cherries then. Most of the recipes on my last
pectin package call for preparing the juice from fresh fruit (simmer
& straining). This retains some pectin, unless you can find a recipe
specifically for commercial (canned/frozen/bottled) juice. Small
Batch Preserving has 2 recipes I've been wanting to try. They are
both similar and you might try your hand with these proportions.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Edrena

2 cups wine
1/4 cup strained lemon juice
3 1/3 cups sugar
1 pouch liquid fruit pectin (Certo?)

The Herb Wine Jelly recipe calls for
1 3/4 c. dry white or red wine
1/4 cup white or red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons fresh herbs
3 1/3 cups sugar
1 pouch liquid pectin

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Sindir wrote:
> > How do I know how much juice to use? Do I follow the same recipe I have
> > for
> > grape jelly or the recipe for apple jelly?
> >

> You follow the directions on the package of pectin. It will vary a
> little from one type of juice to the next. If you're using something
> weird and it's not listed on the package, follow the directions for
> using cherry juice because cherries don't have any significant pectin of
> their own. (I just made up that last part, but I think it will work.)
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Cherry? Didn't we used to suggest the recipe for Mint Jelly -
Mint-flavored water? Remember when Jerry Roush was determined to make
Mountain Dew Jelly?

OK, I did a little group Googling (using Mountain Dew, jelly as the
search terms, rec.food.preserving as the group, and Jerry Roush as the
author. Got two threads from the search, one in 1998 and one in 2001
(that one started by Blanche Nonken -- wonder what she's up to!)
Anyway, it appears I'd suggested using the Elderberry Jelly recipe from
the SureJell pectin leaflet (I don't think it's there anymore). Read
the threads for a trip down memory lane.

Mountain Dew Jelly
3.25 C Mountain Dew
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
4.5 C Sugar
1 box Sure Jell Pectin
0.5 tsp margarine
Pour the Dew and lemon juice into a large (6 or 8 qt) saucepan. Stir
in 1 box Sure-jell pectin. Add margarine (to prevent foaming during
cooking). Bring mixture to a full rolling boil on high heat, stirring
constantly. Add the sugar all at once. Return to full rolling boil
for _1 MINUTE_, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, skim off the
foam and fill and seal jars.
The recipe is basically the "Elderberry Jelly" recipe from the
Sure-Jell box, with the Mtn Dew and lemon juice amounts altered
slightly. I imagine you could add some food coloring to it to make it
look less "urine like".
Yield: approx 5 cups (37 mg Caffeine per cup!)
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Hermione

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>

>>Sindir wrote:
>>
>>>How do I know how much juice to use? Do I follow the same recipe I have
>>>for
>>>grape jelly or the recipe for apple jelly?
>>>

>>You follow the directions on the package of pectin. It will vary a
>>little from one type of juice to the next. If you're using something
>>weird and it's not listed on the package, follow the directions for
>>using cherry juice because cherries don't have any significant pectin of
>>their own. (I just made up that last part, but I think it will work.)
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Bob

> Cherry? Didn't we used to suggest the recipe for Mint Jelly -
> Mint-flavored water? Remember when Jerry Roush was determined to make
> Mountain Dew Jelly?
>
> OK, I did a little group Googling (using Mountain Dew, jelly as the
> search terms, rec.food.preserving as the group, and Jerry Roush as the
> author. Got two threads from the search, one in 1998 and one in 2001
> (that one started by Blanche Nonken -- wonder what she's up to!)
> Anyway, it appears I'd suggested using the Elderberry Jelly recipe from
> the SureJell pectin leaflet (I don't think it's there anymore). Read
> the threads for a trip down memory lane.
>
> Mountain Dew Jelly

For some reason this sounds just weird enough that I'm going to have to
try a batch! Not only can I drink my caffeine in the morning there is
now the possibility of eating it too I wonder what other sodas could
be used, just thinking out loud. Cream soda jelly, pepsi jelly, oh the
possibilities could be endless. Off to find some Mountain Dew.

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
> > Sindir wrote:
> > > How do I know how much juice to use? Do I follow the same recipe I

have
> > > for
> > > grape jelly or the recipe for apple jelly?
> > >

> > You follow the directions on the package of pectin. It will vary a
> > little from one type of juice to the next. If you're using something
> > weird and it's not listed on the package, follow the directions for
> > using cherry juice because cherries don't have any significant pectin of
> > their own. (I just made up that last part, but I think it will work.)
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Bob

> Cherry? Didn't we used to suggest the recipe for Mint Jelly -
> Mint-flavored water? Remember when Jerry Roush was determined to make
> Mountain Dew Jelly?
>
> OK, I did a little group Googling (using Mountain Dew, jelly as the
> search terms, rec.food.preserving as the group, and Jerry Roush as the
> author. Got two threads from the search, one in 1998 and one in 2001
> (that one started by Blanche Nonken -- wonder what she's up to!)
> Anyway, it appears I'd suggested using the Elderberry Jelly recipe from
> the SureJell pectin leaflet (I don't think it's there anymore). Read
> the threads for a trip down memory lane.
>
> Mountain Dew Jelly
> 3.25 C Mountain Dew
> 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
> 4.5 C Sugar
> 1 box Sure Jell Pectin
> 0.5 tsp margarine
> Pour the Dew and lemon juice into a large (6 or 8 qt) saucepan. Stir
> in 1 box Sure-jell pectin. Add margarine (to prevent foaming during
> cooking). Bring mixture to a full rolling boil on high heat, stirring
> constantly. Add the sugar all at once. Return to full rolling boil
> for _1 MINUTE_, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, skim off the
> foam and fill and seal jars.
> The recipe is basically the "Elderberry Jelly" recipe from the
> Sure-Jell box, with the Mtn Dew and lemon juice amounts altered
> slightly. I imagine you could add some food coloring to it to make it
> look less "urine like".
> Yield: approx 5 cups (37 mg Caffeine per cup!)
> --
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

I remember that Barb! Didn't later suggestions consider Dr Pepper and
others?

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
"Kathi Jones" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > zxcvbob > wrote:

> have
> > > >

> > > You follow the directions on the package of pectin. It will vary a
> > > little from one type of juice to the next. If you're using something
> > > weird and it's not listed on the package, follow the directions for
> > > using cherry juice because cherries don't have any significant pectin of
> > > their own. (I just made up that last part, but I think it will work.)
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Bob

> > Cherry? Didn't we used to suggest the recipe for Mint Jelly -
> > Mint-flavored water? Remember when Jerry Roush was determined to make
> > Mountain Dew Jelly?
> >
> > OK, I did a little group Googling (using Mountain Dew, jelly as the
> > search terms, rec.food.preserving as the group, and Jerry Roush as the
> > author. Got two threads from the search, one in 1998 and one in 2001
> > (that one started by Blanche Nonken -- wonder what she's up to!)
> > Anyway, it appears I'd suggested using the Elderberry Jelly recipe from
> > the SureJell pectin leaflet (I don't think it's there anymore). Read
> > the threads for a trip down memory lane.
> >
> > Mountain Dew Jelly
> > 3.25 C Mountain Dew
> > 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
> > 4.5 C Sugar
> > 1 box Sure Jell Pectin
> > 0.5 tsp margarine
> > Pour the Dew and lemon juice into a large (6 or 8 qt) saucepan. Stir
> > in 1 box Sure-jell pectin. Add margarine (to prevent foaming during
> > cooking). Bring mixture to a full rolling boil on high heat, stirring
> > constantly. Add the sugar all at once. Return to full rolling boil
> > for _1 MINUTE_, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, skim off the
> > foam and fill and seal jars.
> > The recipe is basically the "Elderberry Jelly" recipe from the
> > Sure-Jell box, with the Mtn Dew and lemon juice amounts altered
> > slightly. I imagine you could add some food coloring to it to make it
> > look less "urine like".
> > Yield: approx 5 cups (37 mg Caffeine per cup!)
> > --
> > http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

> I remember that Barb! Didn't later suggestions consider Dr Pepper and
> others?
>
> Kathi

Yeah. Gack. The possibilities are sort of endless, I think. Barf.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "Kathi Jones" > wrote:
>

>>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>>have

>>>Cherry? Didn't we used to suggest the recipe for Mint Jelly -
>>>Mint-flavored water? Remember when Jerry Roush was determined to make
>>>Mountain Dew Jelly?
>>>
>>>OK, I did a little group Googling (using Mountain Dew, jelly as the
>>>search terms, rec.food.preserving as the group, and Jerry Roush as the
>>>author. Got two threads from the search, one in 1998 and one in 2001
>>>(that one started by Blanche Nonken -- wonder what she's up to!)
>>>Anyway, it appears I'd suggested using the Elderberry Jelly recipe from
>>>the SureJell pectin leaflet (I don't think it's there anymore). Read
>>>the threads for a trip down memory lane.
>>>
>>>Mountain Dew Jelly
>>>3.25 C Mountain Dew
>>>2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
>>>4.5 C Sugar
>>>1 box Sure Jell Pectin
>>>0.5 tsp margarine
>>>Pour the Dew and lemon juice into a large (6 or 8 qt) saucepan. Stir
>>>in 1 box Sure-jell pectin. Add margarine (to prevent foaming during
>>>cooking). Bring mixture to a full rolling boil on high heat, stirring
>>>constantly. Add the sugar all at once. Return to full rolling boil
>>>for _1 MINUTE_, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, skim off the
>>>foam and fill and seal jars.
>>>The recipe is basically the "Elderberry Jelly" recipe from the
>>>Sure-Jell box, with the Mtn Dew and lemon juice amounts altered
>>>slightly. I imagine you could add some food coloring to it to make it
>>>look less "urine like".
>>>Yield: approx 5 cups (37 mg Caffeine per cup!)
>>>--
>>>http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

>>I remember that Barb! Didn't later suggestions consider Dr Pepper and
>>others?
>>
>>Kathi

> Yeah. Gack. The possibilities are sort of endless, I think. Barf.

Have you made TaB® jelly yet?

Runnin' and duckin',
Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Kathi Jones" > wrote:

(snippage)

> >>I remember that Barb! Didn't later suggestions consider Dr Pepper and
> >>others?
> >>
> >>Kathi

> > Yeah. Gack. The possibilities are sort of endless, I think. Barf.

> Have you made TaB® jelly yet?
>
> Runnin' and duckin',
> Bob

I have not, Sir. I would not waste the elixir of life on a bread
spread. (You can run but you cannot hide, Sonny!)
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > > In article >,
> > > "Kathi Jones" > wrote:

> (snippage)

make

the

from

it

Niece Jo.

> > > Yeah. Gack. The possibilities are sort of endless, I think. Barf.

> > Have you made TaB® jelly yet?
> >
> > Runnin' and duckin',
> > Bob

> I have not, Sir. I would not waste the elixir of life on a bread
> spread. (You can run but you cannot hide, Sonny!)
> --
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

Really! JELLY should be made from juices!! Mt. Dew and Dr. Pepper and
whatever (I can get Black Cherry, Pink Grapefruit, Cranberry,
Cranberry -Raspberry, pops, to name a few), don't count as juice - and it
would be gross no matter how much you like it!! ;-P

but y'know? my kids really like the pink grapefruit
pop......hmmmmmm.............lol

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Sindir

Ok, had to try this recipe because of my caffeine addiction. The recipe
made 3 pints. Now, the bottom half of each jar is set, but the top is still
runny. Is this one of those recipes that takes time to set up?

Sindir

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> Sindir wrote:
>> > How do I know how much juice to use? Do I follow the same recipe I
>> > have
>> > for
>> > grape jelly or the recipe for apple jelly?
>> >

>> You follow the directions on the package of pectin. It will vary a
>> little from one type of juice to the next. If you're using something
>> weird and it's not listed on the package, follow the directions for
>> using cherry juice because cherries don't have any significant pectin of
>> their own. (I just made up that last part, but I think it will work.)
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bob

> Cherry? Didn't we used to suggest the recipe for Mint Jelly -
> Mint-flavored water? Remember when Jerry Roush was determined to make
> Mountain Dew Jelly?
>
> OK, I did a little group Googling (using Mountain Dew, jelly as the
> search terms, rec.food.preserving as the group, and Jerry Roush as the
> author. Got two threads from the search, one in 1998 and one in 2001
> (that one started by Blanche Nonken -- wonder what she's up to!)
> Anyway, it appears I'd suggested using the Elderberry Jelly recipe from
> the SureJell pectin leaflet (I don't think it's there anymore). Read
> the threads for a trip down memory lane.
>
> Mountain Dew Jelly
> 3.25 C Mountain Dew
> 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
> 4.5 C Sugar
> 1 box Sure Jell Pectin
> 0.5 tsp margarine
> Pour the Dew and lemon juice into a large (6 or 8 qt) saucepan. Stir
> in 1 box Sure-jell pectin. Add margarine (to prevent foaming during
> cooking). Bring mixture to a full rolling boil on high heat, stirring
> constantly. Add the sugar all at once. Return to full rolling boil
> for _1 MINUTE_, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, skim off the
> foam and fill and seal jars.
> The recipe is basically the "Elderberry Jelly" recipe from the
> Sure-Jell box, with the Mtn Dew and lemon juice amounts altered
> slightly. I imagine you could add some food coloring to it to make it
> look less "urine like".
> Yield: approx 5 cups (37 mg Caffeine per cup!)
> --
> http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 10-20-05 with a note from Niece Jo.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

I remember that '98 Mountain Dew jelly thread. It sounded gross then
and it still sounds gross today!

Now, I wonder how the Diet Coke made with Splenda would hold up...

......Alan.

Bought'n jelly gloria p Preserving 2 27-07-2012 05:59 AM
Store Bought BBQ Sauce jayare Barbecue 28 10-05-2011 08:42 PM
Store bought apple juice pheasant Winemaking 10 07-12-2008 12:06 AM
Store Bought Stinks Joe General Cooking 6 20-02-2006 01:16 AM
Used to drink store bought tea but now..... rghmopars Tea 0 27-10-2003 10:44 PM