~patches~

Default Tomato Basil Jam

The Farmer's Almanac has a recipe for tomato basil jam. It says this is
a wonderfully tasty condiment that can be enjoyed in countless ways but
doesn't specify how. I'm thinking of trying a batch but would like
ideas on how to use it. Any ideas? TIA
George Shirley

~patches~ wrote:
> The Farmer's Almanac has a recipe for tomato basil jam. It says this is
> a wonderfully tasty condiment that can be enjoyed in countless ways but
> doesn't specify how. I'm thinking of trying a batch but would like
> ideas on how to use it. Any ideas? TIA

On anything Italian, on toasted Italian bread, on pork, even on
scrambled eggs. I made it eons ago and the wife loved it, I didn't so
didn't make it again. I think it's a matter of taste buds working right.
I even ate a piece of tomato cobbler at a hunting camp once, it was
really, really bad. <VBG>

George

The Cook

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 13:27:33 -0400, ~patches~
> wrote:

>The Farmer's Almanac has a recipe for tomato basil jam. It says this is
>a wonderfully tasty condiment that can be enjoyed in countless ways but
>doesn't specify how. I'm thinking of trying a batch but would like
>ideas on how to use it. Any ideas? TIA

How about sharing the recipe. I have one for "Savory Tomato Basil
Jam" but it calls for MPC brand pectin and I have not been able to get
it so set with Sure-Jell. I tried some bulk pectin and using the
amount called for in their recipes it did not work either. May try
again and increase the pectin. If you want a copy of they recipe, I
will post it.
--
Susan N.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, ~patches~
> wrote:

> The Farmer's Almanac has a recipe for tomato basil jam. It says this is
> a wonderfully tasty condiment that can be enjoyed in countless ways but
> doesn't specify how. I'm thinking of trying a batch but would like
> ideas on how to use it. Any ideas? TIA

When I see the word condiment, I think of relishes or other
accompaniments to meats or cheese. Make a grilled cheese sandwich with
some of the TB Jam in it, too. Use it as a bread spread, too. I made
some last year but it doesn't look like I retained the recipe.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05,
including the Blue Ribbon Brownie Recipe and a sad note added
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, George
Shirley > wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
> > The Farmer's Almanac has a recipe for tomato basil jam. It says this

> On anything Italian, on toasted Italian bread, on pork, even on
> scrambled eggs. I made it eons ago and the wife loved it,
> George

"THE" wive? Tell "THE" wife that I'd be pleased and honored to come and
help her whomp "THE" husband upside the head!
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05,
including the Blue Ribbon Brownie Recipe and a sad note added
this evening, 8/27/05.
~patches~

The Cook wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 13:27:33 -0400, ~patches~
> > wrote:
>

>>The Farmer's Almanac has a recipe for tomato basil jam. It says this is
>>a wonderfully tasty condiment that can be enjoyed in countless ways but
>>doesn't specify how. I'm thinking of trying a batch but would like
>>ideas on how to use it. Any ideas? TIA

> How about sharing the recipe. I have one for "Savory Tomato Basil
> Jam" but it calls for MPC brand pectin and I have not been able to get
> it so set with Sure-Jell. I tried some bulk pectin and using the
> amount called for in their recipes it did not work either. May try
> again and increase the pectin. If you want a copy of they recipe, I
> will post it.

Tomato Bail Jam

6 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
1/4 c lemon juice
4 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh basil
1 pk ( 1 3/4 oz) powdered fruit pectin for lower sugar recipes
3 c sugar, divided

Place tomatoes in a kettle. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cove, and
simmer for 10 min. Add the lemon juice and basil. In small bowl,
combine pectin and 1/4 c of the sugar. Add to tomatoes. Heat to a full
rolling boil, stirring constantly. Add the remaining 2 3/4 c sugar.
Return to a rolling boil and cook for 1 min, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and skim off the foam. Ladle the jam into hot,
sterilized canning jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Seal with likds and
process in BWB 5 minutes.
~patches~

William R. Watt wrote:

> ~patches~ ) writes:
>
>>The Farmer's Almanac has a recipe for tomato basil jam. It says this is
>>a wonderfully tasty condiment that can be enjoyed in countless ways but
>>doesn't specify how. I'm thinking of trying a batch but would like
>>ideas on how to use it. Any ideas? TIA

> First you take off all your clothes ......

Well alrighythen. I find jam making in the nude to be a little
dangerous. That hot sugar sure can burn and I really don't like that.
OTOH, when not canning I don't mind nudity. Clothes are way overrated

> William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network
> homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
> warning: non-FreeNet email must have "notspam" in subject or it's returned

George Shirley

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, George
> Shirley > wrote:
>

>>~patches~ wrote:
>>
>>>The Farmer's Almanac has a recipe for tomato basil jam. It says this

>>On anything Italian, on toasted Italian bread, on pork, even on
>>scrambled eggs. I made it eons ago and the wife loved it,
>>George

> "THE" wive? Tell "THE" wife that I'd be pleased and honored to come and
> help her whomp "THE" husband upside the head!

Okay wiseacre, what the hell am I supposed to call my wife, honey,
sweetypiecuppycake. She's my wife, aka "the wife" in polite company.

George

The Cook

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 14:58:04 -0500, Melba's Jammin'

wrote:
>(snipped_
>>

>> How about sharing the recipe. I have one for "Savory Tomato Basil
>> Jam" If you want a copy of they recipe, I will post it.

>Please do.
>-B

* Exported from MasterCook *

Savory Tomato-Basil Jam

Recipe By :Kathy Casey
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.

3 cups tomatoes -- peeled and chopped
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice -- fresh
1 tablespoon lemon zest -- finely minced
2 teaspoons garlic -- finely minced
2 shallots -- minced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 box pectin -- *see Note
3 cups sugar
2 tablespoons basil, fresh -- finely chopped

Place tomatoes, vinegar, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, shallots,
red chile flakes and salt in 6- to 8-quart, heavy-bottom saucepan.
Stir in pectin. Place over high heat and bring to a full rolling boil
(a boil you can't stir down), stirring constantly to prevent
scorching. (If mixture starts to scorch, reduce heat a bit.)

Stir in sugar. As soon as full rolling boil returns, start timing and
cook jam 6 minutes.

Remove from heat. Stir in basil. Fill jars and process in boiling
water bath 15 minutes.

Source:
"Daily Press, August 25, 1999"
Yield:
"4 cups"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 2679 Calories; 2g Fat (0.6%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 693g Carbohydrate; 12g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 2310mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 6
Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 44 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Takes about 1 1/2 pounds of tomatoes.

Wash tomatoes in cool, running water. Remove skins by dipping in
boiling water 30 to 60 seconds or until skins split. Dip in cold
water, then slip off skins and remove cores.

Original recipe used MCP pectin. I tried Sure-Jell since I did not
have MPC and it did NOT work.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

--
Susan N.

The Cook

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 19:59:46 -0500, Melba's Jammin'

wrote:

>> On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 14:58:04 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >In article >,
>> wrote:
>> >(snipped_

>> >Please do.
>> >-B

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Savory Tomato-Basil Jam
>>
>> Recipe By :Kathy Casey
>> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 3 cups tomatoes -- peeled and chopped

>3 cups tomatoes, peeled and chopped? Or 3 cups peeled and chopped
>tomatoes?

3 cups peeled and chopped tomatoes.
--
Susan N.

William R. Watt

>> First you take off all your clothes ......

> Well alrighythen. I find jam making in the nude to be a little
> dangerous. That hot sugar sure can burn and I really don't like that.
> OTOH, when not canning I don't mind nudity. Clothes are way overrated

no argument, but the question was how to use it, not how to make it.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
William R. Watt

>> "THE" wive? Tell "THE" wife that I'd be pleased and honored to come and
>> help her whomp "THE" husband upside the head!

> Okay wiseacre, what the hell am I supposed to call my wife, honey,
> sweetypiecuppycake. She's my wife, aka "the wife" in polite company.

Know how she feels. I have a good buddy up the street I visit and go for
walks with whom the daughter of the lady of the house refers to as "the
dog". His name is "Duke".

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, George Shirley
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >, George
> > Shirley > wrote:
> >>I made it eons ago and the wife loved it,
> >>George

> > "THE" wive? Tell "THE" wife that I'd be pleased and honored to come
> > and
> > help her whomp "THE" husband upside the head!

> Okay wiseacre, what the hell am I supposed to call my wife, honey,
> sweetypiecuppycake. She's my wife, aka "the wife" in polite company.
>
> George

LOL! And there are some people who object to "my wife" because it
sounds like possession of property. THE wife always reminds me of THE
cat or THE dog. I think that if you refer to her as The Love Miz Anne,
The Love of My Life, Mother of My Children, and The Best Thing Come My
Way in 45 years that would be just fine. "-) And would not be
understating the situation either, you old goat!
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Several notes since 8/18/05,
including the Blue Ribbon Brownie Recipe and a sad note added
this evening, 8/27/05.
George Shirley

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>

>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>>"THE" wive? Tell "THE" wife that I'd be pleased and honored to come
>>>and
>>>help her whomp "THE" husband upside the head!

>>Okay wiseacre, what the hell am I supposed to call my wife, honey,
>>sweetypiecuppycake. She's my wife, aka "the wife" in polite company.
>>
>>George
>>

> LOL! And there are some people who object to "my wife" because it
> sounds like possession of property. THE wife always reminds me of THE
> cat or THE dog. I think that if you refer to her as The Love Miz Anne,
> The Love of My Life, Mother of My Children, and The Best Thing Come My
> Way in 45 years that would be just fine. "-) And would not be
> understating the situation either, you old goat!

That old biddy and I have been life partners since we fell in love in
June of 1958, June 8th of that year to be exact, that's the day I met
her and told her I was going to marry her. Two and a half years later we
married, had two kids, five grandkids and two greatgrandkids. We garden
together, cook together, preserve food together, and whatever. I
particularly like the whatever. <VBG> She refers to me as "Babe" in
person and as "the husband" to second parties. I refer to her as "Baby"
in person and as "the wife" to second parties. It's part of the era we
grew up in, some of you young whippersnappers may remember the fifties.
Her mother referred to her father as "Mister H", he called her "Mrs. H".
You gotta remember they were both born around the turn of the twentieth
century as were my parents. Times were much different than now. We're
comfortable in our skin suits and don't think of each other as
"possessions." Believe it or not Southerners are generally most polite
and most formal to people they don't know well. So there!

George, fixing toasted swiss cheese sammiches with sweet pickles for
lunch, the dog is slobbering around the kitchen.

Collection (6) Tomato Basil Soup Marita Blessing Recipes (moderated) 0 30-09-2006 03:44 AM
Tomato Basil Soup Marita Blessing Recipes (moderated) 0 25-09-2006 05:08 AM
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup chefrwmiller Recipes (moderated) 0 22-09-2006 03:25 PM
Tomato Basil Soup sf General Cooking 0 21-05-2006 03:24 AM
Tomato and Basil Topping Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-06-2005 05:30 PM