Gary Grathen

Default Olives (Kalamata/Greek): Store in Brine or Olive Oil?

How should I store kalamata olives I buy from the local deli? I searched
brine" or olive oil, although it wasn't clear exactly what "mother brine"
was.

What is the best method for storing refrigerated kalamata olives purchased
from a deli?

Thanks.

--
Gary Grathen
DeLand, FL

Carolinorygun

The mother brine is the liquid the Kalamata olives are floating in. I
assume the olives in the deli are available in a large container of
some sort and that you or the counterperson scoops out the desired
amount.

So you can retain the liquid and keep the olives in that or drain them
and store them in olive oil. The only disadvantage of the olive oil is
that it will solidify under refrigeration, but a short time at room
temperature remedies that.

Carol

GreenieLeBrun

If you are only buying around 250gm or so just keep them in the fridge
in the plastic container they come in (assuming that your deli puts
them in the thin plastic take-away food containers like they use here).
If you are looking at buying larger quantities then consider buying
them in large jars from a Greek or Italian grocery or deli.

Gary Grathen

Thanks. Since the deli doesn't seem to keep a lot of brine in their serving
tray, and as olive oil solidifies in the fridge, I think I'll just put the
olives in a glass jar and store them that way. They seem to get a little
dry that way, but that appears to be the best option.

--
Gary Grathen
DeLand, FL

"GreenieLeBrun" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> If you are only buying around 250gm or so just keep them in the fridge
> in the plastic container they come in (assuming that your deli puts
> them in the thin plastic take-away food containers like they use here).
> If you are looking at buying larger quantities then consider buying
> them in large jars from a Greek or Italian grocery or deli.

GreenieLeBrun

You could always make some brine your self.

I preserve my own olives and after I remove them from the mother brine
(wich is just 10% cooking salt) I place them in a brine-vinegar
mixtu-

To a 1 litre measuring jug add 100gm of cooking salt, then add 500mL of
boiling water, stir to dissolve the salt. Allow to cool. Once cool add
100 - 150mL of cider or white wine vinegar, mix well then add water to
make the whole lot up to 1L in volume.

With my green olives I sometimes add a couple of cloves of garlic and a
couple of hot chillis then add the brine-vinegar mix.

Sorry about the metric measurements but Australia moved over to the
metric system some years ago and coupled with the fact that I have been
working in Science for over 30 years I tend not to use Imperial/US
measures much.

Carolinorygun

GreenieLeBrun wrote:
> You could always make some brine your self.

No problems whatsoever with the metric. Thanks for the brine recipe.
I can use that.

Carol

Gary Grathen

Ah, that brine recipe is interesting! I'll give it a try.

Thanks much.