CaliforniaLavender

Default Artichokes in oil

Friends have asked if the following is safe: Artichokes cooked in
mixture of vinegar and water, drained and covered with oil. They want
to put up for pantry storage and asked me if I thought this method was
safe. I think yes, for short-term refrigerator use, but would need
pressure for long-term storage. Can someone advise, please.
Thanks,
Susan

Brian Mailman

CaliforniaLavender wrote:

> Friends have asked if the following is safe: Artichokes cooked in
> mixture of vinegar and water, drained and covered with oil. They want
> to put up for pantry storage and asked me if I thought this method was
> safe. I think yes, for short-term refrigerator use,

Perhaps not so short-term, a month or so. Think 'salad dressing.'

> but would need pressure for long-term storage. Can someone advise, please.

Well... the vinegar thing sounds ok, but I'm more than rather dubious
about "drained and covered with oil." Maybe *not* drained, and with
some citric acid/sour salt added, and not *covered* in oil...

Best thing to do in this matter is ask your local farm agent or USDA folk.

I've looked here on the National Food Safety Base:
http://www.agen.ufl.edu/~foodsaf/can1.html but can't find a mention of
artichokes. And I went through all the pages (substtuting numbers in
the "can*.html" node).

Sure sounds like pressure canning, and my theory is the 'chokes would
turn to mush.

B/
The Joneses

Brian Mailman wrote:

> CaliforniaLavender wrote:
>
> > Friends have asked if the following is safe: Artichokes cooked in
> > mixture of vinegar and water, drained and covered with oil. They want
> > to put up for pantry storage and asked me if I thought this method was
> > safe. I think yes, for short-term refrigerator use,

> Perhaps not so short-term, a month or so. Think 'salad dressing.'
>
> > but would need pressure for long-term storage. Can someone advise, please.

> Well... the vinegar thing sounds ok, but I'm more than rather dubious
> about "drained and covered with oil." Maybe *not* drained, and with
> some citric acid/sour salt added, and not *covered* in oil...
> Best thing to do in this matter is ask your local farm agent or USDA folk.
> I've looked here on the National Food Safety Base:
> http://www.agen.ufl.edu/~foodsaf/can1.html ...
> Sure sounds like pressure canning, and my theory is the 'chokes would
> turn to mush.
> B/

Yanked out my copy of Joy of Pickling, but no perfect luck. Those durned
commercial manufacturers can do so much with fancy lab equipment. Cold pickles
only: HTH
Edrena
"...I used canned artichoke hearts to develop this recipe [1 pint]...frozen
artichoke hearts are preferable to tinned ones ... Boil frozen .. 5 min and drain
them well...
1 pint canned or cooked fresh or frozen artichoke hearts
1/3 c.white wine vinegar
1/3 c. water
6 black peppercorns, crushed
1 garlic clove, sliced
1 sprig thyme
1 sprig marjoram or oregano
1 teas. pickling salt
1 pinch hot pepper flakes
1/3 c. olive oil
1.Pack the artichoke hearts into a pint jar. ...bring the vinegar, water,
peppercorns, garlic, herbs, salt, and pepperflakes to a boil. Pour the hot liquid
over the artichokes, then add the olive oil. Cover the jar tightly iwth a
nonreactive cap, and let it cool.
2.Store the jar in the refridgerator for 1 week or longer before eating the
artichokes; turn over the jar occationally ... refrigerated, the artichokes will
keep well for several weeks.

Judith Umbria

"CaliforniaLavender" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Friends have asked if the following is safe: Artichokes cooked in
> mixture of vinegar and water, drained and covered with oil. They want
> to put up for pantry storage and asked me if I thought this method was
> safe. I think yes, for short-term refrigerator use, but would need
> pressure for long-term storage. Can someone advise, please.
> Thanks,
> Susan

If the idea is to copy Italian carciofi sott'olio, it isn't done that way in
Italy other than by commercial firms. The fresh, canned or frozen
artichokes are cooked then marinated with lemon juice or vinegar, herbs and
oil a day or two before serving. That way they still taste like artichokes
and not like vinegar balls.
Best to trim, blanch and freeze the quartered artichokes and then do them
batch by batch as needed.

my artichokes Gill Smith General Cooking 25 26-01-2011 05:57 PM
Artichokes Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 0 22-06-2010 05:34 AM
Artichokes serene General Cooking 38 16-01-2007 06:02 PM
Artichokes Debbie General Cooking 13 03-07-2005 05:16 AM
Artichokes.. archergirl General Cooking 23 12-02-2005 06:44 PM