SCUBApix

Default rfpFAQ Availability

The rec.food.preserving FAQ is available at
http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/rfpFAQ.htm . There have been no
changes since the last announcement; we are at Version 4.2.3. A
detailed, chronological ordering of changes to the FAQ can be found at
http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/differences.htm .

This is the monthly posting of the availablility of the FAQ.

Note that I have added a single text file that can be downloaded. Just
start at the above place (rfpFAQ.htm) and you will see a link for
download where it talks about the 'differences' file. The new text file
opens in your browser and then you just click 'file' and 'save as' and
you should have it. Let me know if there are any difficulties.

The Joneses

SCUBApix wrote:

> The rec.food.preserving FAQ is available at
> http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/rfpFAQ.htm . There have been no
> changes since the last announcement; we are at Version 4.2.3. A
> detailed, chronological ordering of changes to the FAQ can be found at
> http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/differences.htm .
> This is the monthly posting of the availablility of the FAQ.

Valued keeper of the FAQ: I ran across this document:
http://www.itdg.org/docs/technical_i..._marmalade.pdf
which states the pH at which jams (etc) will set. I've been looking for the
actual value for some time now. I don't know how reliable the site is,
y'all be the judge.
It was in PDF format so I couldn't clip the paragraph which I feel should
be included in our FAQ. Hope this helps.
Love,
Edrena

zxcvbob

The Joneses wrote:
> SCUBApix wrote:
>

>>The rec.food.preserving FAQ is available at
>>http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/rfpFAQ.htm . There have been no
>>changes since the last announcement; we are at Version 4.2.3. A
>>detailed, chronological ordering of changes to the FAQ can be found at
>>http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/differences.htm .
>>This is the monthly posting of the availablility of the FAQ.

> Valued keeper of the FAQ: I ran across this document:
> http://www.itdg.org/docs/technical_i..._marmalade.pdf
> which states the pH at which jams (etc) will set. I've been looking for the
> actual value for some time now. I don't know how reliable the site is,
> y'all be the judge.
> It was in PDF format so I couldn't clip the paragraph which I feel should
> be included in our FAQ. Hope this helps.
> Love,
> Edrena

"It will have been noted that the pH of a preserve has to lie between
3.0 and 3.3 in order to obtain a good stable gel (or 'set'). Most fruits
lie in this pH range. Those above 3.3 require the addition of citric
acid to bring the pH down to the required range. Lime juice however has
a pH of 2.7 to 2.9 and so the PH has to be increased. This, it has been
found, can be easily done with sodium bicarbonate (baking powder).
In this particular case it was found that the addition of 20g of sodium
bicarbonate/litre of juice gave the required pH adjustment."

Not sure how to attribute it properly.

Best regards,
Bob
The Joneses

zxcvbob wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
> > SCUBApix wrote:
> >

> >>The rec.food.preserving FAQ is available at
> >>http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/rfpFAQ.htm . There have been no
> >>changes since the last announcement; we are at Version 4.2.3. A
> >>detailed, chronological ordering of changes to the FAQ can be found at
> >>http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/differences.htm .
> >>This is the monthly posting of the availablility of the FAQ.

> > Valued keeper of the FAQ: I ran across this document:
> > http://www.itdg.org/docs/technical_i..._marmalade.pdf
> > which states the pH at which jams (etc) will set. I've been looking for the
> > actual value for some time now. I don't know how reliable the site is,
> > y'all be the judge.
> > It was in PDF format so I couldn't clip the paragraph which I feel should
> > be included in our FAQ. Hope this helps.
> > Love,
> > Edrena
> >

> "It will have been noted that the pH of a preserve has to lie between
> 3.0 and 3.3 in order to obtain a good stable gel (or 'set'). Most fruits
> lie in this pH range. Those above 3.3 require the addition of citric
> acid to bring the pH down to the required range. Lime juice however has
> a pH of 2.7 to 2.9 and so the PH has to be increased. This, it has been
> found, can be easily done with sodium bicarbonate (baking powder).
> In this particular case it was found that the addition of 20g of sodium
> bicarbonate/litre of juice gave the required pH adjustment."
>
> Not sure how to attribute it properly.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Thanks Bob. And isn't "sodium bicarbonate" baking *soda* rather than baking
*powder*? The group that sponsored the article: Intermediate Technology
Development Group – aims to demonstrate and advocate the sustainable use of
technology to reduce poverty in developing countries.
Edrena

zxcvbob

The Joneses wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>

>>The Joneses wrote:

>>>Valued keeper of the FAQ: I ran across this document:
>>>http://www.itdg.org/docs/technical_i..._marmalade.pdf
>>>which states the pH at which jams (etc) will set. I've been looking for the
>>>actual value for some time now. I don't know how reliable the site is,
>>>y'all be the judge.
>>>It was in PDF format so I couldn't clip the paragraph which I feel should
>>>be included in our FAQ. Hope this helps.
>>>Love,
>>>Edrena
>>>

>>"It will have been noted that the pH of a preserve has to lie between
>>3.0 and 3.3 in order to obtain a good stable gel (or 'set'). Most fruits
>>lie in this pH range. Those above 3.3 require the addition of citric
>>acid to bring the pH down to the required range. Lime juice however has
>>a pH of 2.7 to 2.9 and so the PH has to be increased. This, it has been
>>found, can be easily done with sodium bicarbonate (baking powder).
>>In this particular case it was found that the addition of 20g of sodium
>>bicarbonate/litre of juice gave the required pH adjustment."
>>
>>Not sure how to attribute it properly.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Bob

> Thanks Bob. And isn't "sodium bicarbonate" baking *soda* rather than baking
> *powder*? The group that sponsored the article: Intermediate Technology
> Development Group – aims to demonstrate and advocate the sustainable use of
> technology to reduce poverty in developing countries.
> Edrena

Yes, it is baking soda. I didn't notice that; I just copy/pasted it
like it was.

Bob

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, zxcvbob
> wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
> > SCUBApix wrote:
> >

> >>The rec.food.preserving FAQ is available at
> >>http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/rfpFAQ.htm . There have been no
> >>changes since the last announcement; we are at Version 4.2.3. A
> >>detailed, chronological ordering of changes to the FAQ can be found at
> >>http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/differences.htm .
> >>This is the monthly posting of the availablility of the FAQ.

> > Valued keeper of the FAQ: I ran across this document:
> > http://www.itdg.org/docs/technical_i.../lime_marmalad
> > e.pd f which states the pH at which jams (etc) will set. I've been
> > looking for the actual value for some time now. I don't know how
> > reliable the site is, y'all be the judge. It was in PDF format so I
> > couldn't clip the paragraph which I feel should be included in our
> > FAQ. Hope this helps.

> > Love,
> > Edrena
> >

>(snip)This, it has been
> found, can be easily done with sodium bicarbonate (baking powder).

> Not sure how to attribute it properly.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Sodium bicarbonate is baking soda, not baking powder.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, zxcvbob
> wrote:
(snip)

> "It will have been noted that the pH of a preserve has to lie between
> 3.0 and 3.3 in order to obtain a good stable gel (or 'set'). Most fruits
> lie in this pH range. Those above 3.3 require the addition of citric
> acid to bring the pH down to the required range. Lime juice however has
> a pH of 2.7 to 2.9 and so the PH has to be increased. This, it has been
> found, can be easily done with sodium bicarbonate (baking powder).
> In this particular case it was found that the addition of 20g of sodium
> bicarbonate/litre of juice gave the required pH adjustment."
>
> Not sure how to attribute it properly.

How about "from a document on the ITDG * the Intermediate Technology
Development Group - website.: Include the link.

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
SCUBApix

The Joneses wrote:
> SCUBApix wrote:
>
> > The rec.food.preserving FAQ is available at
> > http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/rfpFAQ.htm . There have been

no
> > changes since the last announcement; we are at Version 4.2.3. A
> > detailed, chronological ordering of changes to the FAQ can be found

at
> > http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/differences.htm .
> > This is the monthly posting of the availablility of the FAQ.

> Valued keeper of the FAQ: I ran across this document:

http://www.itdg.org/docs/technical_i..._marmalade.pdf
> which states the pH at which jams (etc) will set. I've been looking

for the
> actual value for some time now. I don't know how reliable the site

is,
> y'all be the judge.
> It was in PDF format so I couldn't clip the paragraph which I feel

should
> be included in our FAQ. Hope this helps.
> Love,
> Edrena

I'm at work now and very busy. I will look into this and agree
something needs added. Will post when I get to it, sometime later this
week. Thanks for the input.

The Joneses

SCUBApix wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
> > SCUBApix wrote:
> >
> > > The rec.food.preserving FAQ is available at
> > > http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/rfpFAQ.htm . There have been

> no
> > > changes since the last announcement; we are at Version 4.2.3. A
> > > detailed, chronological ordering of changes to the FAQ can be found

> at
> > > http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/differences.htm .
> > > This is the monthly posting of the availablility of the FAQ.

> > Valued keeper of the FAQ: I ran across this document:
> >

> http://www.itdg.org/docs/technical_i..._marmalade.pdf
> > which states the pH at which jams (etc) will set. I've been looking

> for the
> > actual value for some time now. I don't know how reliable the site

> is,
> > y'all be the judge.
> > It was in PDF format so I couldn't clip the paragraph which I feel

> should
> > be included in our FAQ. Hope this helps.
> > Love,
> > Edrena

> I'm at work now and very busy. I will look into this and agree
> something needs added. Will post when I get to it, sometime later this
> week. Thanks for the input.

Am currently working on a document entitled "A Practical Discussion of Food
Borne Diseases For The Home Preserver, or, How Not to Kill Yer Kinfolk."
Mostly for my own benefit to gather in one place some practical knowledge
(properly attributed of course) and to astound nonhomecannedfoodbelievers
with my extensive knowledge of my craft. And to blow out of the water some
others at the farmers' market with their unpreserved, unlabeled,
non-altitude-adjusted, miscellaneous creations. I can discuss one or three
main problems, but there are about 16 I want to address and learn. I'll
email you a copy when it's done.
Y'all have a good day at work and update the site whenever you have time.
Edrena

The Joneses

SCUBApix wrote:

> The rec.food.preserving FAQ is available at
> http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/rfpFAQ.htm . There have been no
> changes since the last announcement; we are at Version 4.2.3. A
> detailed, chronological ordering of changes to the FAQ can be found at
> http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/differences.htm .
>
> This is the monthly posting of the availablility of the FAQ.
>
> Note that I have added a single text file that can be downloaded. Just
> start at the above place (rfpFAQ.htm) and you will see a link for
> download where it talks about the 'differences' file. The new text file
> opens in your browser and then you just click 'file' and 'save as' and
> you should have it. Let me know if there are any difficulties.

We are a small family and rye & specialty breads stale quickly in my house.
I freeze the whole loaf and take just a few slices when I need them. Also
might try freezing in small packages of a few slices each.
Edrena

This is from our FAQ:

http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/rfpFAQ.htm

..2.9 Canning Cake and Quick Breads - Don't Do It!
Canned breads and cakes are not recommended for home cooks or canning;
choose cake or bread recipes that you can freeze. Many cake and quick bread
recipes contain very little or no acid and thus have the potential for
supporting the growth of hazardous bacteria, such as Clostridium botulinum,
if they are present inside the closed jar. C. botulinum causes an often
fatal food borne illness, called botulism. Given that many of these bread
and cake recipes have been shown to be low in acid, the major barriers to
prevent microbial growth are limited to: (1) the dryness of the product and
(2) the lack of oxygen inside the closed jar (because of vacuum seals).
Recipe variations such as the addition of fruit, zucchini, liquids, etc.
all contribute to available water for microorganisms to use. In addition,
lack of oxygen alone does not prevent the growth of all harmful bacteria.
The vacuum seals do not remove all oxygen, so some would still be available
to the bacteria which do need it.

Source: Cooperative Extension Service, The University Of Georgia College of
Family and Consumer Sciences and the College of Aquiculture and
Environmental Sciences Cooperating
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publication...can_breads.pdf

The Joneses

Whoops - replied to wrong thread.