Anny Middon

Default Canning noodle soup

Got an All-American pressure canner for Christmas (thank you, Santa!) I
plan on spending time between now and the start of farmers market in June
putting up some soup. (Made the bean soup in Linda Armendt's book last
night, but haven't tasted it yet.)

At any rate, I'm fond of soups that contain noodles or macaroni -- chicken
noodle, minestrone with pasta, etc. The BBB recipe for chicken soup
contains no noodles. Can I just add some noodles to the pot, or will the
canning process turn them into mush? I expect them to be very soft, like in
a can of Campbell's, but I wouldn't want them to disintegrate into a floury
sludge. Can I put some dry noodles or macaroni in my jars then ladle in
boiling soup and process? I'm thinking this might help keep the noodles
from disintegrating.

Obviously I can add the noodles when I'm heating the soup to serve, but I'd
like the convenience of just pouring in a bowl and nuking.

Anny

zxcvbob

Anny Middon wrote:

> Got an All-American pressure canner for Christmas (thank you, Santa!) I
> plan on spending time between now and the start of farmers market in June
> putting up some soup. (Made the bean soup in Linda Armendt's book last
> night, but haven't tasted it yet.)
>
> At any rate, I'm fond of soups that contain noodles or macaroni -- chicken
> noodle, minestrone with pasta, etc. The BBB recipe for chicken soup
> contains no noodles. Can I just add some noodles to the pot, or will the
> canning process turn them into mush? I expect them to be very soft, like in
> a can of Campbell's, but I wouldn't want them to disintegrate into a floury
> sludge. Can I put some dry noodles or macaroni in my jars then ladle in
> boiling soup and process? I'm thinking this might help keep the noodles
> from disintegrating.
>
> Obviously I can add the noodles when I'm heating the soup to serve, but I'd
> like the convenience of just pouring in a bowl and nuking.
>
> Anny

I tried it once with broken pieces of lasagna noodle. They ended up
*very* mushy. Also, if you use too much dried noodles, it will thicken
too much and you'll need to increase the processing time -- and it's
anybody's guess as to how much additional time.

I recommend canning the soup without noodles. Add dried ramen noodles
when you heat it up, and cook until they get soft like real noodles.

Raw brown rice might be worth a try...

Bob

Bob
zxcvbob

Anny Middon wrote:

> Got an All-American pressure canner for Christmas (thank you, Santa!) I
> plan on spending time between now and the start of farmers market in June
> putting up some soup. (Made the bean soup in Linda Armendt's book last
> night, but haven't tasted it yet.)
>
> At any rate, I'm fond of soups that contain noodles or macaroni -- chicken
> noodle, minestrone with pasta, etc. The BBB recipe for chicken soup
> contains no noodles. Can I just add some noodles to the pot, or will the
> canning process turn them into mush? I expect them to be very soft, like in
> a can of Campbell's, but I wouldn't want them to disintegrate into a floury
> sludge. Can I put some dry noodles or macaroni in my jars then ladle in
> boiling soup and process? I'm thinking this might help keep the noodles
> from disintegrating.
>
> Obviously I can add the noodles when I'm heating the soup to serve, but I'd
> like the convenience of just pouring in a bowl and nuking.
>
> Anny

I tried it once with broken pieces of lasagna noodle. They ended up
*very* mushy. Also, if you use too much dried noodles, it will thicken
too much and you'll need to increase the processing time -- and it's
anybody's guess as to how much additional time.

I recommend canning the soup without noodles. Add dried ramen noodles
when you heat it up, and cook until they get soft like real noodles.

Raw brown rice might be worth a try...

Bob

Bob
zxcvbob

Anny Middon wrote:

> Got an All-American pressure canner for Christmas (thank you, Santa!) I
> plan on spending time between now and the start of farmers market in June
> putting up some soup. (Made the bean soup in Linda Armendt's book last
> night, but haven't tasted it yet.)
>
> At any rate, I'm fond of soups that contain noodles or macaroni -- chicken
> noodle, minestrone with pasta, etc. The BBB recipe for chicken soup
> contains no noodles. Can I just add some noodles to the pot, or will the
> canning process turn them into mush? I expect them to be very soft, like in
> a can of Campbell's, but I wouldn't want them to disintegrate into a floury
> sludge. Can I put some dry noodles or macaroni in my jars then ladle in
> boiling soup and process? I'm thinking this might help keep the noodles
> from disintegrating.
>
> Obviously I can add the noodles when I'm heating the soup to serve, but I'd
> like the convenience of just pouring in a bowl and nuking.
>
> Anny

I tried it once with broken pieces of lasagna noodle. They ended up
*very* mushy. Also, if you use too much dried noodles, it will thicken
too much and you'll need to increase the processing time -- and it's
anybody's guess as to how much additional time.

I recommend canning the soup without noodles. Add dried ramen noodles
when you heat it up, and cook until they get soft like real noodles.

Raw brown rice might be worth a try...

Bob

Bob
Gary S.

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 22:19:54 GMT, "Anny Middon"
> wrote:

>"tomhooper" > wrote in message
>> Why can the noodles. They keep for years dry. Just break up the pasta

>and
>> add them to the soup when you rewarm it. 8 min, and its done. I haven't
>> canned seriously yet, but I freeze alot, especially soup and pasta sauce.
>> Happy new year.
>> JMHO.
>> twh

>Because I don't want to heat the soup on the stove -- I want to put a single
>serving in a bowl and microwave it for a minute or two, the same as I do
>with commercially canned soups.
>
>Anny

I have been experimenting with various noodles to be used for
backpacking meals.

Try:

_Extra_ fine egg noodles, which look like what you see in some of the
instant soup mixes.
various wheat and rice noodles from an oriental grocery
various pasta styles such as "pastina", anything with a 4 minute or
less cooking time

If you put the pasta in before processing, the 100% durum semolina
pastas, including the imported Italian dry pasta, will keep its
texture the best.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Gary S.

Pho Bo: Beef noodle soup hcc Recipes 0 11-05-2012 04:34 AM
Turkey Noodle Soup 7Hawks Recipes (moderated) 0 24-11-2004 03:59 AM