Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Mo' blackberries

Miz Anne is off to work in the church garden again this morning and she
has high hopes for another batch of blackberries.

I've got everything prepped just in case we get a good sized batch of
berries.

Overcast again with more rain threatening. This has been a strange
spring for us, 80F at late afternoon, get up to 60+F (a range of temps),
then it gets hot and muggy again. We've actually only had about four
inches of rain here while Houston proper has been deluged. I'm glad we
bought on high ground. I remembered living in Harris Cty years ago and
deliberately looked for higher ground this time around.

About all we're preserving at this time is chopped sweet chiles and more
chopped green onions. All nicely put away in vacuum bags. Both our
freezers are completely full with no room for anything else.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> Miz Anne is off to work in the church garden again this morning and she
> has high hopes for another batch of blackberries.
>
> I've got everything prepped just in case we get a good sized batch of
> berries.

ready and accounted for!

> Overcast again with more rain threatening. This has been a strange
> spring for us, 80F at late afternoon, get up to 60+F (a range of temps),
> then it gets hot and muggy again. We've actually only had about four
> inches of rain here while Houston proper has been deluged. I'm glad we
> bought on high ground. I remembered living in Harris Cty years ago and
> deliberately looked for higher ground this time around.

i know what you mean there George, when Ma picked out this
lot she didn't really think about water issues or many other
things and it complicates life. being fairly flat we are
still ok, up high enough that the house won't flood, but when
it gets heavy rains we can still flash flood around us.

having lived through 11 inches of rain in less than a day
and a half i think it would take three times that much to
even come close to getting water to the foundation.

we have rains forecast for T/W/R of next week. that will
be about perfect.

> About all we're preserving at this time is chopped sweet chiles and more
> chopped green onions. All nicely put away in vacuum bags. Both our
> freezers are completely full with no room for anything else.

i haven't planted any of the veggies yet, but getting closer.
a few more weeks before we get the tomatoes and peppers in.
(more rambles in the garden newsgroup... )

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 5/21/2016 12:33 PM, songbird wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> Miz Anne is off to work in the church garden again this morning and she
>> has high hopes for another batch of blackberries.
>>
>> I've got everything prepped just in case we get a good sized batch of
>> berries.

> ready and accounted for!
>

>> Overcast again with more rain threatening. This has been a strange
>> spring for us, 80F at late afternoon, get up to 60+F (a range of temps),
>> then it gets hot and muggy again. We've actually only had about four
>> inches of rain here while Houston proper has been deluged. I'm glad we
>> bought on high ground. I remembered living in Harris Cty years ago and
>> deliberately looked for higher ground this time around.

> i know what you mean there George, when Ma picked out this
> lot she didn't really think about water issues or many other
> things and it complicates life. being fairly flat we are
> still ok, up high enough that the house won't flood, but when
> it gets heavy rains we can still flash flood around us.
>
> having lived through 11 inches of rain in less than a day
> and a half i think it would take three times that much to
> even come close to getting water to the foundation.
>
> we have rains forecast for T/W/R of next week. that will
> be about perfect.
>

>> About all we're preserving at this time is chopped sweet chiles and more
>> chopped green onions. All nicely put away in vacuum bags. Both our
>> freezers are completely full with no room for anything else.

> i haven't planted any of the veggies yet, but getting closer.
> a few more weeks before we get the tomatoes and peppers in.
> (more rambles in the garden newsgroup... )
>

> songbird

We had the first ripe tomato of the season for lunch. A four inch long,
two inch diameter plum tomato. A Marzano if I remember correctly. Very
nice, just cooled down a bit. A bit of mustard, some home made bread,
some sandwich meat, chicken I think, lettuce and tomato. Very nice.

Then a nice nap, always welcome in this household, two old geezers and a
geezer dawg snoring away for a couple of hours.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> We had the first ripe tomato of the season for lunch. A four inch long,
> two inch diameter plum tomato. A Marzano if I remember correctly. Very
> nice, just cooled down a bit. A bit of mustard, some home made bread,
> some sandwich meat, chicken I think, lettuce and tomato. Very nice.

our first tomatoes ripen in early August.
that's a bit aways yet... i won't be eating
many/any of them.

> Then a nice nap, always welcome in this household, two old geezers and a
> geezer dawg snoring away for a couple of hours.

nothing wrong with a nap or a snoring dawg.
i might get one of those in today after a round or
two of puttering in the north garden.

songbird

Blackberries George Shirley[_3_] Preserving 0 23-05-2014 10:17 PM
Blackberries galore Cindy Fuller General Cooking 8 13-08-2006 02:32 PM
Blackberries Mike Winemaking 7 01-09-2005 04:47 PM
Blackberries too old ? Wayne P Winemaking 4 16-03-2005 04:37 PM
Blackberries Jethro Winemaking 1 07-04-2004 04:07 PM