Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Lots more jelly

Earlier this season we used our Mehu steam juicer for several batches
each of Dolgo crabapples and wild black raspberries.
Yesterday we took advantage of the cooler weather and made jelly from
the juice.
One part black raspberry juice to three parts crabapple juice makes a
jelly with fantastic black raspberry flavour and makes the BR juice go
a lot further.
Ended up with thirty four 250ml jars of jelly. That should keep our
toast smothered for a while ;-). It also makes a wonderful glaze for
baked ham.
Today, probably the last of this season's tomatoes are being tuned
into canned crushed tomatoes. With today's run that'll be roughly 50
liters of crushed tomatoes plus 38 500ml jars of salsa done over the
last few weeks.
Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ross@home wrote:

> Earlier this season we used our Mehu steam juicer for several batches
> each of Dolgo crabapples and wild black raspberries.
> Yesterday we took advantage of the cooler weather and made jelly from
> the juice.

i'm assuming you freeze the juice?

> One part black raspberry juice to three parts crabapple juice makes a
> jelly with fantastic black raspberry flavour and makes the BR juice go
> a lot further.

oh that sounds wonderful!

> Ended up with thirty four 250ml jars of jelly. That should keep our
> toast smothered for a while ;-). It also makes a wonderful glaze for
> baked ham.

it is so great to have a stock of jams to pick from.
i rotate between the peach, strawberry, grape and am
now on the last jar of peach butter (different than the
peach). some of these were made quite a few years ago
and are holding up just fine.

> Today, probably the last of this season's tomatoes are being tuned
> into canned crushed tomatoes. With today's run that'll be roughly 50
> liters of crushed tomatoes plus 38 500ml jars of salsa done over the
> last few weeks.

we may get another picking from ours as the weather is
not supposed to get down to frost for at least a week (maybe
longer). we did another 21.5 quarts last night.

songbird