Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default plunk

No sealing -- I put all three half-pint jars in the freezer.

Every fourth of July I reconstitute a can of lemonade and slice a
fresh lemon into it. This year I couldn't find a single lemon and
bought a whole bag. Yesterday it became plain that nobody in the
house was going to use any lemons before they spoiled, so I made jam.

I put my mandoline into a saucepan and sliced the lemons, inspecting
the cut surface after each slice to remove seeds when they came into
view. Some I didn't find until after they had been sliced, and had to
fish the latest slice out of the saucepan. I cut the first and last
slice of each lemon into strips with a knife.

I added a half cup of water to get things started, brought it to a
boil, covered tightly, and simmered on lowest heat for an hour.

Because there had been three-fourths of a pound of lemons, I meant to
add a cup and a half of fructose, but the bag was nearly empty when
I'd poured out a cup and a half, so I put it all in.

Brought it back to a boil while stirring constantly -- with an
egg-scrambling fork just because it was there, but it seemed to work
better than a spoon. Boiled gently while stirring until a laser
thermometer said it was comfortably above the boiling point, covered
tightly and left undisturbed several hours. (I stuck it into the
fridge at bedtime.)

Lo and behold, the stuff is *good*! I'll buy extra lemons on purpose
next year.

And now I think it's time to have some lemon jam on raisin bread. (But
spread no thicker than Vegemite: one thing this jam is, is LEMON!)

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/