Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Just found a pint of salsa I canned in '92

It doesn't look very appetizing, but it's not spoiled either. That was
back before I had a good recipe, too. Think I'll sniff it when I open
it, then dump it out. I've got plenty of jars of good stuff from 2
years ago.

I need to rotate my shelves more often.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 3/4/2015 11:34 AM, zxcvbob wrote:
> It doesn't look very appetizing, but it's not spoiled either. That was
> back before I had a good recipe, too. Think I'll sniff it when I open
> it, then dump it out. I've got plenty of jars of good stuff from 2
> years ago.
>
> I need to rotate my shelves more often.
>
> Bob

We finished up the pear sauce put up in fall 2011 by December 2014, just
made it in time, was still delicious. 1992? You're scaring me now Bob.

When my favorite aunt passed I helped clean out her sixty-year old
house, still had some preserves in the walk-in pantry from the fifties.
Really gross looking stuff. I did manage to salvage the jars though, had
to put them through the dishwasher twice. This was in the early seventies.

I wouldn't even sniff the stuff. <G>

I have pickles that will expire in mid-2015 so am eating them up quick
as I can. Unfortunately that was the year we had a bumper crop of
cauliflower so I have a lot of pickled cauliflower.

George, fearing a possible hard freeze by Thursday night and my pear
tree is blooming.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

> In article >, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> George, fearing a possible hard freeze by Thursday night and my pear
>> tree is blooming.

> We had a June freeze a few years back when my apples were in bloom. The
> following year was an incredible bumper crop. I typical either get a
> moderate number of large apples or a lot of smaller ones, but that year
> I had to build limb supports because the trees were so heavy with
> fruit.

I had that explained to me today by a fruit farmer. Says the bloom drop
encourages the tree to get more strength out of the ground for the
following year. I plucked all the blossoms off the new blueberry plants
on the advice of a guy with 700 bushes. He says the plants will thank me
with a big crop next year as with no berry growth all the plants efforts
go into making lots more roots.

The pear tree was three years old when I bought it, bloomed last spring
and got frost bit, was hoping I might get a few pears this year. It is a
Tennousi pear, a cross between an Asian and a European pear. Can be
eaten out of hand when fully ripe and can be canned easily at an earlier
age. I am in hope it works out. Was found as a sport by a Texas Ag agent
on his own pear orchard. Sold most places now. When we planted it I used
limb spreaders and pruning shears to begin shaping the tree for
eventually producing lots of pears.

Apples and such don't do well in our climate. For example: yesterday the
temps hit 81F, tomorrow the weather folk are saying 30F.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2015-03-04 17:34:31 +0000, zxcvbob said:

> It doesn't look very appetizing, but it's not spoiled either. That was
> back before I had a good recipe, too. Think I'll sniff it when I open
> it, then dump it out. I've got plenty of jars of good stuff from 2
> years ago.
>
> I need to rotate my shelves more often.
>
> Bob

I wouldn't eat it either.