Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Any thoughts?

<http://www.reddit.com/r/Canning/comments/2ckme4/some_mod_information_and_a_request_for_help_with/>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/4/2014 12:23 PM, Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

> <http://www.reddit.com/r/Canning/comments/2ckme4/some_mod_information_and_a_request_for_help_with/>

I only use the USDA recommendations. I remember my mother and my wife
and I used the old methods back in the fifties and sixties but we
stopped the paraffin wax and upside down jars thing back in the late
sixties. I don't recommend anyone on this newsgroup giving bad advice to
anyone as you can end up in severe litigation if someone gets sick or dies.

Another note, the rec.food.preserving FAQ badly needs revising. Decker
left this group years ago after pirating the FAQ and revising it to suit
his wants and needs. Anyone else want to help on that?

Personally I go directly to the UGA Food Safety site for help or use
their preserving book, "So Easy to Preserve", for information.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Monday, August 4, 2014 1:03:31 PM UTC-5, George Shirley wrote:

> I only use the USDA recommendations.

Me too, as long as they are fact and science based. But I was kind of taken aback by the post's references to "old timers" and "new timers" which makes it sound like age is somehow a factor in how safe are your canning and preserving methods. Good grief. Among issues with the "definitions" list is the statement that pressure canners must hold a minimum of 7 quarts. I could swear that NCHFP said 4 quarts but maybe that has changed.

My grandmother used paraffin for her quince paste and jelly, but the turning jars upside down is something I heard about only recently, despite that I've been canning for many years. People were always bringing her things like bushels of fruit--- can't recall the last time I even saw a bushel or peck basket.

Isabella
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/4/2014 7:39 PM, Isabella Woodhouse wrote:
> On Monday, August 4, 2014 1:03:31 PM UTC-5, George Shirley wrote:
>
>> I only use the USDA recommendations.

> Me too, as long as they are fact and science based. But I was kind of taken aback by the post's references to "old timers" and "new timers" which makes it sound like age is somehow a factor in how safe are your canning and preserving methods. Good grief. Among issues with the "definitions" list is the statement that pressure canners must hold a minimum of 7 quarts. I could swear that NCHFP said 4 quarts but maybe that has changed

Actually here is the quote: "Pressure canners come deep enough for one
layer of quart or smaller size jars, or deep enough for two layers of
pint or smaller size jars. The USDA recommends that a (canner be large
enough to hold at least 4 quart jars to be considered a pressure canner
for the USDA published processes.)"

Our pressure canner is a Sears 7 quart heavy aluminum, bought in 1965,
was state of the art then. Has a jiggler, a pressure gauge, and a
"pop-up" plug that releases pressure if it gets to high. We still use it
and I buy a new gasket and steam gauge and pop-up plug every two or
three years. In between I keep the stuff clean. Used to take the steam
gauge to one of my clients when I was still working. He ran a gauge shop
and would clean and reset my gauge for free every year. Just before he
passed away I had him do all three and they're still on the money. I
built my own rig to use air pressure to check that it is really eleven
pounds per square inch gauge.
..

> My grandmother used paraffin for her quince paste and jelly, but the turning jars upside down is something I heard about only recently, despite that I've been canning for many years. People were always bringing her things like bushels of fruit--- can't recall the last time I even saw a bushel or peck basket.

Came into usage at my folks home in the late forties. Even then paraffin
was the thing for jelly and jams. We did that in the early sixties when
we first started canning as a couple, also did the turning the jars
upside down. Once the USDA rules started changing we changed too. Food
safety is much better nowadays. My Mom used to take the paraffin off the
jar and then scrape out the mold and put the jar on the table.

> Isabella

Sounds like you're following the modern food safety rules just like most
of us on this group do.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Monday, August 4, 2014 9:17:15 PM UTC-5, George Shirley wrote:

> Actually here is the quote: "Pressure canners come deep enough for one
> layer of quart or smaller size jars, or deep enough for two layers of
> pint or smaller size jars. The USDA recommends that a (canner be large
> enough to hold at least 4 quart jars to be considered a pressure canner
> for the USDA published processes.)"

Oh, you found it. Thanks. I've never actually seen one that small though. Gosh I wish there was one for induction. Mine is an aluminum Presto that hold 7 quarts max. I used to use a taller one but it got to be just too darn heavy and we just don't need larger quantities now. The Presto has a dial gauge, a pressure regulator and that pop-up thing. There is also a very small rubber safety plug on top. I use the canner on a separate electric hob since my stove is induction. Each year, I have the gauge checked at the local extension service. I was able to obtain a stainless pressure cooker (Fagor) I can use on my stove and it is great for BWB canning small batches of jam and the like. It included a book for pressure canning but I have not used it as such since, for one thing, it has no facility for the ten minute venting. I guess they must use it for pressure canning in Europe but I would be afraid. Fantastic pressure cooker though.

> Once the USDA rules started changing we changed too. Food
> safety is much better nowadays. My Mom used to take the paraffin off the
> jar and then scrape out the mold and put the jar on the table.
> Sounds like you're following the modern food safety rules just like most
> of us on this group do.

I can't say I appreciate everything about the USDA but I am a very strong supporter of the county Extension services. When I first started working long ago, the Extension service was right across the hall from our office. They even had a kitchen then and they were always testing recipes and equipment. So they would bring us samples to taste. Yum! They were a fantastic resource for not only canning but most things having to do with home-keeping. When we first got married, I was always over there looking through their many file cabinets for information. And I still have some of those brochures. Yikes, sorry to rattle on and on.

Isabella