Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Hatch Chiles

Whew. It's 90+ degrees outside and fairly humid.

I just brought back from our local Hispanic-run garden center a half
bushel of Hatch Big Jim (medium heat) roasted chiles. Husband and I
went out to the garage and on a table covered with a sheet of heavy
plastic, we scraped off the skins and seeds. Vaccuum sealed, about 4 or
5 to the bag, I estimate between 65-70 chiles.

It took about 1 1/2 hours and I am sweating up a storm. Tasting a bit
here and there, I'm very glad I didn't go up a level of heat by variety.

We do this every 2 years or so and share with daughter's and son's
families and the occasional neighbor.

Wanted to buy cucumbers for pickling but I'm glad I didn't. It's too
hot to put that big kettle on to boil. Maybe mid-week.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

gloria p wrote:

> Whew. It's 90+ degrees outside and fairly humid.

90 and humid is about my limit for most
things, a half hour at a time.

> I just brought back from our local Hispanic-run garden center a half
> bushel of Hatch Big Jim (medium heat) roasted chiles. Husband and I
> went out to the garage and on a table covered with a sheet of heavy
> plastic, we scraped off the skins and seeds. Vaccuum sealed, about 4 or
> 5 to the bag, I estimate between 65-70 chiles.

i'm always jealous!

> It took about 1 1/2 hours and I am sweating up a storm. Tasting a bit
> here and there, I'm very glad I didn't go up a level of heat by variety.
>
> We do this every 2 years or so and share with daughter's and son's
> families and the occasional neighbor.

once you get a taste of them it's hard to ever
find something as good again. a few years ago
my sister visiting from SantaFe packed chilis
in her luggage for me, but the airline lost her
luggage. my sister-in-law has a large family
out that ways too and she gets fresh roasted
chilis sent to her. always hot as all get out
and the taste is divine. a green chili cheese-
burger... i better stop before i get hungry
again.

i hope you remembered to wear gloves?

> Wanted to buy cucumbers for pickling but I'm glad I didn't. It's too
> hot to put that big kettle on to boil. Maybe mid-week.

sleep days, work nights... i'm so glad i don't
have to do anything when it gets that hot outside.
i have projects waiting for me and the forecast is
for the temperature to go almost to 90 and the sun
is shining. we may get some red tomatoes after
all.

soon enough the heat is over. i'm never ready
for it to get cool again.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/17/2013 5:03 PM, gloria p wrote:

> Whew. It's 90+ degrees outside and fairly humid.
>
> I just brought back from our local Hispanic-run garden center a half
> bushel of Hatch Big Jim (medium heat) roasted chiles. Husband and I
> went out to the garage and on a table covered with a sheet of heavy
> plastic, we scraped off the skins and seeds. Vaccuum sealed, about 4 or
> 5 to the bag, I estimate between 65-70 chiles.
>
> It took about 1 1/2 hours and I am sweating up a storm. Tasting a bit
> here and there, I'm very glad I didn't go up a level of heat by variety.
>
> We do this every 2 years or so and share with daughter's and son's
> families and the occasional neighbor.
>
> Wanted to buy cucumbers for pickling but I'm glad I didn't. It's too
> hot to put that big kettle on to boil. Maybe mid-week.
>
> gloria p

Where are my vacuum sealed Hatch chiles? Was at a local supermarket
today and they were roasting them too. Seems as if every market in
Houston area is selling Hatches nowadays. Fresh, roasted, skinned and
deseeded, you name it.

Our daughter is growing a variety of Hatch that gets bright red when
fully ripe. They are delicious, she gave us four of them the other day
and I roasted them over the gas burners on the stove, turning them
religiously. Made chiles relleno that night and we thoroughly enjoyed
them. I may grow some of that variety next year as they are very
prolific and good in about anything you cook.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat, 17 Aug 2013 18:18:46 -0500, George Shirley >
wrote:

>On 8/17/2013 5:03 PM, gloria p wrote:
>>

>> Whew. It's 90+ degrees outside and fairly humid.
>>
>> I just brought back from our local Hispanic-run garden center a half
>> bushel of Hatch Big Jim (medium heat) roasted chiles. Husband and I
>> went out to the garage and on a table covered with a sheet of heavy
>> plastic, we scraped off the skins and seeds. Vaccuum sealed, about 4 or
>> 5 to the bag, I estimate between 65-70 chiles.
>>
>> It took about 1 1/2 hours and I am sweating up a storm. Tasting a bit
>> here and there, I'm very glad I didn't go up a level of heat by variety.
>>
>> We do this every 2 years or so and share with daughter's and son's
>> families and the occasional neighbor.
>>
>> Wanted to buy cucumbers for pickling but I'm glad I didn't. It's too
>> hot to put that big kettle on to boil. Maybe mid-week.
>>
>> gloria p

>Where are my vacuum sealed Hatch chiles? Was at a local supermarket
>today and they were roasting them too. Seems as if every market in
>Houston area is selling Hatches nowadays. Fresh, roasted, skinned and
>deseeded, you name it.
>
>Our daughter is growing a variety of Hatch that gets bright red when
>fully ripe. They are delicious, she gave us four of them the other day
>and I roasted them over the gas burners on the stove, turning them
>religiously. Made chiles relleno that night and we thoroughly enjoyed
>them. I may grow some of that variety next year as they are very
>prolific and good in about anything you cook.
>
>George

Thanks for the reminder George. I am growing Poblano peppers and
found a recipe for chilies relleno that I am going to make soon.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/17/2013 5:18 PM, George Shirley wrote:

> vacuum sealed Hatch chiles? Was at a local supermarket
> today and they were roasting them too. Seems as if every market in
> Houston area is selling Hatches nowadays. Fresh, roasted, skinned and
> deseeded, you name it.

These were expensive enough just roasted and whole. Actually if you
take out the seeds and freeze the peppers the skins slip off easily as
they thaw. Ours were still hot, in a heavy plastic bag placed in the
original cardboard box and the steam generated made the skins fairly
easy to scrape off.

Some of our grocery stores roast them, too, but this place has a choice
of 5 or 6 different varieties ranging in heat from Anaheim to XXAtomic.
It is located in Aurora (Denver suburb) but if you drive a few miles
on Federal Blvd in Denver there are dozens of farmstands and trucks
selling nothing but roasted chiles, red ristras, and pinyon seeds (nuts?)

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/17/2013 6:13 PM, songbird wrote:
> gloria p wrote:
>>
>> Whew. It's 90+ degrees outside and fairly humid.

> 90 and humid is about my limit for most
> things, a half hour at a time.
>

>> I just brought back from our local Hispanic-run garden center a half
>> bushel of Hatch Big Jim (medium heat) roasted chiles. Husband and I
>> went out to the garage and on a table covered with a sheet of heavy
>> plastic, we scraped off the skins and seeds. Vaccuum sealed, about 4 or
>> 5 to the bag, I estimate between 65-70 chiles.

> i'm always jealous!
>

>> It took about 1 1/2 hours and I am sweating up a storm. Tasting a bit
>> here and there, I'm very glad I didn't go up a level of heat by variety.
>>
>> We do this every 2 years or so and share with daughter's and son's
>> families and the occasional neighbor.

> once you get a taste of them it's hard to ever
> find something as good again. a few years ago
> my sister visiting from SantaFe packed chilis
> in her luggage for me, but the airline lost her
> luggage. my sister-in-law has a large family
> out that ways too and she gets fresh roasted
> chilis sent to her. always hot as all get out
> and the taste is divine. a green chili cheese-
> burger... i better stop before i get hungry
> again.
>
> i hope you remembered to wear gloves?
>

>> Wanted to buy cucumbers for pickling but I'm glad I didn't. It's too
>> hot to put that big kettle on to boil. Maybe mid-week.

> sleep days, work nights... i'm so glad i don't
> have to do anything when it gets that hot outside.
> i have projects waiting for me and the forecast is
> for the temperature to go almost to 90 and the sun
> is shining. we may get some red tomatoes after
> all.
>
> soon enough the heat is over. i'm never ready
> for it to get cool again.
>

> songbird

90 isn't hot, our heat index yesterday was 105, the day before 109.
That's why we have ac. This morning, just now at 0740 the outside temp
was 70F, what happened to summer?

When we lived in Saudi Arabia I walked around the plant I worked in and
the temp was 125F and we thought it was balmy. Of course the humidity
was only about 5%.

The Hatch chiles we get here are fairly mild.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/17/2013 6:41 PM, gloria p wrote:
> On 8/17/2013 5:18 PM, George Shirley wrote:
>
>> vacuum sealed Hatch chiles? Was at a local supermarket
>> today and they were roasting them too. Seems as if every market in
>> Houston area is selling Hatches nowadays. Fresh, roasted, skinned and
>> deseeded, you name it.

> These were expensive enough just roasted and whole. Actually if you
> take out the seeds and freeze the peppers the skins slip off easily as
> they thaw. Ours were still hot, in a heavy plastic bag placed in the
> original cardboard box and the steam generated made the skins fairly
> easy to scrape off.
>
> Some of our grocery stores roast them, too, but this place has a choice
> of 5 or 6 different varieties ranging in heat from Anaheim to XXAtomic.
> It is located in Aurora (Denver suburb) but if you drive a few miles
> on Federal Blvd in Denver there are dozens of farmstands and trucks
> selling nothing but roasted chiles, red ristras, and pinyon seeds (nuts?)
>
> gloria p

My uncle Jesse lived in Aurora for a number of years before he moved to
Palisade to get away from the crowds. He called it "Awrowru."

Most of the Hatch chiles sold here are the mild variety, thank goodness.
A XXAtomic would probably kill me.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

[i'm not sure if you meant to both e-mail and
post to the group George? but thanks for the
reply. ]

> 90 isn't hot, our heat index yesterday was 105, the day before 109.
> That's why we have ac. This morning, just now at 0740 the outside temp
> was 70F, what happened to summer?

i know, this season is going by way too quickly.

i really hate running AC and we have a pretty good
setup here for passive cooling if the night time
temperatures get low enough. a large central field
stone fireplace soaks up the coolness and then we
shut the doors in the morning before it gets warm
outside again and that keeps it tolerable inside
the rest of the day.

> When we lived in Saudi Arabia I walked around the plant I worked in and
> the temp was 125F and we thought it was balmy. Of course the humidity
> was only about 5%.

the times we see that kind of humidity around
here is the coldest parts of winter.

at the moment (1336) it's 77 and 42% humidity.
not a bad day at all, but going to be topping out
around 85...

> The Hatch chiles we get here are fairly mild.

to me, excellent is the level of heat which gets
my nose to run a little. i prefer to leave the
lining of my digestive tract mostly intact.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/18/2013 1:08 PM, songbird wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:

> [i'm not sure if you meant to both e-mail and
> post to the group George? but thanks for the
> reply. ]
>Nope, it's Thunderbird, they added both reply and followup at the last

revision and they put reply first. I get to typing and hit the first
word up and it happens. Mostly they just don't get sent but, lucky you,
you got one.

I'm trying to find a way to put followup first but haven't found it yet.
It's the curse of using the same software for twenty years and not
paying enough attention to the modernization and also includes high
speed, not looking, typing. Sorry! Stuff happens when you're old. <G>

Just finished a late lunch, one banana, sixteen large grapes, and two
small gingersnaps. Wow!

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
>songbird wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:

>> [i'm not sure if you meant to both e-mail and
>> post to the group George? but thanks for the
>> reply. ]

>>Nope, it's Thunderbird, they added both reply and followup at the last

> revision and they put reply first. I get to typing and hit the first
> word up and it happens. Mostly they just don't get sent but, lucky you,
> you got one.
>
> I'm trying to find a way to put followup first but haven't found it yet.
> It's the curse of using the same software for twenty years and not
> paying enough attention to the modernization and also includes high
> speed, not looking, typing. Sorry! Stuff happens when you're old. <G>

no worries, just an FYI.

> Just finished a late lunch, one banana, sixteen large grapes, and two
> small gingersnaps. Wow!

we had our first toasted tomato sandwiches
today. picked 10 lbs of tomatoes. don't think
they will be preserved, we can eat them and
some will have to be recycled by the worms as
they are victim of BER.

does Tilly like grapes or cherry tomatoes?

someone gave us eight tomato plants after
we had already planted the gardens, so i stuck
them out in the green manure patch and on the
side of one of the bean gardens. little did
we know that four of those plants were cherry
tomato plants. two people surely don't need
six cherry tomato plants (along with the other
36 tomato plants). even more funny is that
the extra cherry tomato plants are golden
colored fruits and i was waiting for them to
get red. very sweet tomatoes so i'll have to
hunt down the plastic tab for next year.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 2013-08-18 12:53:47 +0000, George Shirley said:

> My uncle Jesse lived in Aurora for a number of years before he moved to
> Palisade to get away from the crowds. He called it "Awrowru."

The old part of Aurora has trees, the new area, where endless tract
housing is built is treeless and called "Saudi Aurora"

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/20/2013 8:44 PM, Robert Love wrote:
> On 2013-08-18 12:53:47 +0000, George Shirley said:
>

>> My uncle Jesse lived in Aurora for a number of years before he moved
>> to Palisade to get away from the crowds. He called it "Awrowru."

> The old part of Aurora has trees, the new area, where endless tract
> housing is built is treeless and called "Saudi Aurora"

It's impossible to have old trees in new neighborhoods that are newly
built on drought-prone prairie. The only trees on the yet-undeveloped
prairie land are huge old cottonwoods that grow along creek beds that
are dry much of the year.

gloria p

Hatch chiles Gloria P General Cooking 15 31-08-2009 03:14 AM
On Green Chile Cheeseburgers and Hatch chiles Christine Dabney General Cooking 9 16-09-2008 05:19 PM
Hatch chiles koko General Cooking 17 28-08-2007 07:32 AM
Hatch Chiles recipes ?? mobile Preserving 0 27-08-2007 03:28 AM