Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

Default I now have a lifetime supply of ketchup

5 1/2 pints of green ketchup are in the BWB canner right now -- 4 pint
jars and one of those Atlas jars from Classico spaghetti sauce. Not a
bad yield from 10 pounds of unripe slicing tomatoes (Romas would have
yielded more and required less cooking.) I wasn't going to process it,
but I don't want to take up that much room in the fridge to store it.

I almost ruined it because I didn't realize the sugar is a critical
measurement, and I was going pretty much without a recipe. I started
with 2 cups of sugar and tasted it and it wasn't nearly sweet enough.
So I added another cup and it was too sweet (should have added just 1/2
cup) But after it cooked for a couple of hours it kind of balanced out.
I think it's OK.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> 5 1/2 pints of green ketchup are in the BWB canner right now -- 4 pint
> jars and one of those Atlas jars from Classico spaghetti sauce. Not a
> bad yield from 10 pounds of unripe slicing tomatoes (Romas would have
> yielded more and required less cooking.) I wasn't going to process it,
> but I don't want to take up that much room in the fridge to store it.
>
> I almost ruined it because I didn't realize the sugar is a critical
> measurement, and I was going pretty much without a recipe. I started
> with 2 cups of sugar and tasted it and it wasn't nearly sweet enough.
> So I added another cup and it was too sweet (should have added just 1/2
> cup) But after it cooked for a couple of hours it kind of balanced out.
> I think it's OK.
>
> Bob

Good on you!! Does it taste like red ketchup?
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of August 20, 2012
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> 5 1/2 pints of green ketchup are in the BWB canner right now -- 4 pint
>> jars and one of those Atlas jars from Classico spaghetti sauce. Not a
>> bad yield from 10 pounds of unripe slicing tomatoes (Romas would have
>> yielded more and required less cooking.) I wasn't going to process it,
>> but I don't want to take up that much room in the fridge to store it.
>>
>> I almost ruined it because I didn't realize the sugar is a critical
>> measurement, and I was going pretty much without a recipe. I started
>> with 2 cups of sugar and tasted it and it wasn't nearly sweet enough.
>> So I added another cup and it was too sweet (should have added just 1/2
>> cup) But after it cooked for a couple of hours it kind of balanced out.
>> I think it's OK.
>>
>> Bob

> Good on you!! Does it taste like red ketchup?

Pretty close. But greener. :-) It's also a little spicier than
storebough ketchup, and it's not as smooth even though I food-milled it
to remove all the seeds and skins, and when it was cooked down I
blenderized it with a wand blender.

I need to go get some french fries for the real test...

It would be a lot easier starting out with a big can of tomato paste.
And mixed pickling spice from Penzey's instead of a tablespoon of this
and a tablespoon of that of a long list of whole spices.

I did learn a neat trick: to make a cheesecloth spice bag when you don't
have any good cheesecloth, unfold a 4" sterile gauze pad and fold it in
half. You can buy them at the pharmacy for about 10¢, the packet says
"Curity Gauze Sponges 12 Ply". I still have a bunch of them from when I
busted up my knee last month.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>5 1/2 pints of green ketchup are in the BWB canner right now -- 4 pint jars
>and one of those Atlas jars from Classico spaghetti sauce. Not a bad yield
>from 10 pounds of unripe slicing tomatoes (Romas would have yielded more
>and required less cooking.) I wasn't going to process it, but I don't want
>to take up that much room in the fridge to store it.
>
> I almost ruined it because I didn't realize the sugar is a critical
> measurement, and I was going pretty much without a recipe. I started with
> 2 cups of sugar and tasted it and it wasn't nearly sweet enough. So I
> added another cup and it was too sweet (should have added just 1/2 cup)
> But after it cooked for a couple of hours it kind of balanced out. I think
> it's OK.

Hmmmm. Wonder if that's what I'd call 'Green Tomato Chutney'?