Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Sealing jars

I looked for jars with sealed lids for storing coffee beans. I found
them to be quite common-place (Walmart, Zellers, Loblaws). They have
a rubbery seal around the rim of the lid, and a spring latch to exert
pressure on the lid.

Unfortunately, both the jars I got (different brands and stores) are
not hermetically sealed. My apartment smells of the coffee that is
stored in the "sealed" jar.

Is the ineffectiveness of "sealed" jars very common? I do not relish
the idea of doing an empirical saerch for an effective sealing jar.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Monday, October 1, 2012 7:22:07 AM UTC+1, AndyHancock wrote:
> I looked for jars with sealed lids for storing coffee beans. I found
>
> them to be quite common-place (Walmart, Zellers, Loblaws). They have
>
> a rubbery seal around the rim of the lid, and a spring latch to exert
>
> pressure on the lid.
>

> Unfortunately, both the jars I got (different brands and stores) are
>
> not hermetically sealed. My apartment smells of the coffee that is
>
> stored in the "sealed" jar.
>

> Is the ineffectiveness of "sealed" jars very common? I do not relish
>
> the idea of doing an empirical saerch for an effective sealing jar.

Place card on jar, lit from underneath. Run a ring of silicone sealant onto the card. Place polythene gently onto the silcone and smooth level. Once set, cut the card & silicone ring out.

NT

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 23:22:07 -0700 (PDT), AndyHancock
> wrote:

>I looked for jars with sealed lids for storing coffee beans. I found
>them to be quite common-place (Walmart, Zellers, Loblaws). They have
>a rubbery seal around the rim of the lid, and a spring latch to exert
>pressure on the lid.
>
>Unfortunately, both the jars I got (different brands and stores) are
>not hermetically sealed. My apartment smells of the coffee that is
>stored in the "sealed" jar.
>
>Is the ineffectiveness of "sealed" jars very common? I do not relish
>the idea of doing an empirical saerch for an effective sealing jar.

On roast day, I do two 1 pound batches in my Behmor 1600. After they
have cooled I store the freshly roasted beans in standard Mason jars
using the plastic storage lids.
http://www.bernardin.ca/pages/produc.../47.php?pid=62
I leave the lid slightly loose for a day or two to accommodate any
gassing off, then I snug it down.
Not as fancy as those upscale wire-bail type jars but there's also no
coffee smell apparent until I open a jar to refill the grinder. Not
that I'm averse to the smell of freshly roasted coffee mind you.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Oct 1, 10:41*am, wrote:
> On Monday, October 1, 2012 7:22:07 AM UTC+1, AndyHancock wrote:
> > I looked for jars with sealed lids for storing coffee beans. *I found

> > them to be quite common-place (Walmart, Zellers, Loblaws). *They have

> > a rubbery seal around the rim of the lid, and a spring latch to exert

> > pressure on the lid.

> > Unfortunately, both the jars I got (different brands and stores) are

> > not hermetically sealed. *My apartment smells of the coffee that is

> > stored in the "sealed" jar.

> > Is the ineffectiveness of "sealed" jars very common? *I do not relish

> > the idea of doing an empirical saerch for an effective sealing jar.

> Place card on jar, lit from underneath. Run a ring of silicone sealant onto the card. Place polythene gently onto the silcone and smooth level. Once set, cut the card & silicone ring out.

Sounds like its a method to seal a regular jar. My jars have a
contoured rim to accommodate the built-in "seal", so it may less
optimally for them. However, I'll keep in mind your do-it-yourself
approach for regular jars (I don't have any at the moment). I was
really hoping to avoid doing it myself, though.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Oct 1, 10:58*am, Ross@home wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 23:22:07 -0700 (PDT), AndyHancock
>
> > wrote:
> >I looked for jars with sealed lids for storing coffee beans. *I found
> >them to be quite common-place (Walmart, Zellers, Loblaws). *They have
> >a rubbery seal around the rim of the lid, and a spring latch to exert
> >pressure on the lid.

> >Unfortunately, both the jars I got (different brands and stores) are
> >not hermetically sealed. *My apartment smells of the coffee that is
> >stored in the "sealed" jar.

> >Is the ineffectiveness of "sealed" jars very common? *I do not relish
> >the idea of doing an empirical saerch for an effective sealing jar.

> On roast day, I do two 1 pound batches in my Behmor 1600. After they
> have cooled I store the freshly roasted beans in standard Mason jars
> using the plastic storage lids.http://www.bernardin.ca/pages/produc.../47.php?pid=62
> I leave the lid slightly loose for a day or two to accommodate any
> gassing off, then I snug it down.
> Not as fancy as those upscale wire-bail type jars but there's also no
> coffee smell apparent until I open a jar to refill the grinder. Not
> that I'm averse to the smell of freshly roasted coffee mind you.

I don't mind the smell of coffee...I just don't like the idea of
flavour leaving my beans and dissipating in to the atmosphere.

I am not familiar with Mason jars, so I am surprised that a plastic
lid forms a hermetic seal (given that the web page doesn't even claim
to do so). However, customer testimony speaks loudly. Are mason jars
threaded? Is that how you "snug it down"?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 22:45:07 -0700 (PDT), AndyHancock
> wrote:

>On Oct 1, 10:58*am, Ross@home wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 23:22:07 -0700 (PDT), AndyHancock
>>
>> > wrote:
>> >I looked for jars with sealed lids for storing coffee beans. *I found
>> >them to be quite common-place (Walmart, Zellers, Loblaws). *They have
>> >a rubbery seal around the rim of the lid, and a spring latch to exert
>> >pressure on the lid.

>> >Unfortunately, both the jars I got (different brands and stores) are
>> >not hermetically sealed. *My apartment smells of the coffee that is
>> >stored in the "sealed" jar.

>> >Is the ineffectiveness of "sealed" jars very common? *I do not relish
>> >the idea of doing an empirical saerch for an effective sealing jar.

>> On roast day, I do two 1 pound batches in my Behmor 1600. After they
>> have cooled I store the freshly roasted beans in standard Mason jars
>> using the plastic storage lids.http://www.bernardin.ca/pages/produc.../47.php?pid=62
>> I leave the lid slightly loose for a day or two to accommodate any
>> gassing off, then I snug it down.
>> Not as fancy as those upscale wire-bail type jars but there's also no
>> coffee smell apparent until I open a jar to refill the grinder. Not
>> that I'm averse to the smell of freshly roasted coffee mind you.

>I don't mind the smell of coffee...I just don't like the idea of
>flavour leaving my beans and dissipating in to the atmosphere.
>
>I am not familiar with Mason jars, so I am surprised that a plastic
>lid forms a hermetic seal (given that the web page doesn't even claim
>to do so). However, customer testimony speaks loudly. Are mason jars
>threaded? Is that how you "snug it down"?

Mason jars are the North American standard "canning" jars. They are
available in standard and wide mouth styles. Plastic storage lids are
available for both styles. These plastic lids are not used for
processing, either by boiling water bath or pressure canning but are
excellent for storage of dry items.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross@home View Post

wrote:
I looked for jars with sealed lids for storing coffee beans. *I found
them to be quite common-place (Walmart, Zellers, Loblaws). *They have
a rubbery seal around the rim of the lid, and a spring latch to exert
pressure on the lid.

Unfortunately, both the jars I got (different brands and stores) are
not hermetically sealed. *My apartment smells of the coffee that is
stored in the "sealed" jar.

Is the ineffectiveness of "sealed" jars very common? *I do not relish
the idea of doing an empirical saerch for an effective sealing jar.

On roast day, I do two 1 pound batches in my Behmor 1600. After they
have cooled I store the freshly roasted beans in standard Mason jars
using the plastic storage lids.
Bernardin Home Canning: Because You Can
[...]

hi .you can find the sealing jars in any place.But,sealing jars helps you to protect the food from harmful substance.
Flora & Muse is undoubtedly one of the best restaurants in Houston.Flora & Muse is happy to announce their live music line-up, featuring some of the best live music in houston