Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default ? crookneck squash relish

Who's got a good recipe? I have lots and lots of overripe yellow
squash. I'm tempted to peel, grate, and salt it, and squeeze much of
the moisture out. Then pack it in jars with a hot B&B pickle
vinegar/sugar/spice mixture. I'm mostly afraid the color will be nasty,
or that the squash will just get soft when I process it.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/31/2012 3:11 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> Who's got a good recipe? I have lots and lots of overripe yellow
> squash. I'm tempted to peel, grate, and salt it, and squeeze much of
> the moisture out. Then pack it in jars with a hot B&B pickle
> vinegar/sugar/spice mixture. I'm mostly afraid the color will be nasty,
> or that the squash will just get soft when I process it.
>
> Bob

Wait a little longer and then build an extra room on your house with the
squash. I have successfully made yellow squash B&B pickles two years in
a row now. Recipe is from SETP and they are right tasty.

If they are overripe you can scoop out the seeds and then make the
pickles. I'm afraid that if you grate them they will turn to yellow mush
when processed. I have never successfully frozen or dehydrated yellow
squash but the pickles come out very nice. I do use Pickle Crisp in them
and they do come out fairly crisp.

Good luck.

Note: First potential buyers will be looking at our house on Sunday,
young couple with kids who like to garden.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 15:11:19 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Who's got a good recipe? I have lots and lots of overripe yellow
>squash. I'm tempted to peel, grate, and salt it, and squeeze much of
>the moisture out. Then pack it in jars with a hot B&B pickle
>vinegar/sugar/spice mixture. I'm mostly afraid the color will be nasty,
>or that the squash will just get soft when I process it.
>
>Bob

Here is one that works well.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Squash Pickles

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 64 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.

8 cups squash, summer -- sliced
2 cups onions -- sliced
1 tablespoon salt
1 cup green pepper -- diced
2 cups vinegar, cider
3 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon mustard seed

Combine squash and onions. Sprinkle with salt. Let stand 1 hour.

Combine peppers, vinegar, sugar and spices. Bring to a boil.

Drain squash and onions, add to liquid. Boil for 1 minute

Remove from heat and pack in jars.

Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes for pint jars. Adjust
for altitude.

Yield:
"4 pints"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 49 Calories; trace Fat (1.2%
calories from fat); trace Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 101mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/31/2012 4:15 PM, The Cook wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 15:11:19 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>> Who's got a good recipe? I have lots and lots of overripe yellow
>> squash. I'm tempted to peel, grate, and salt it, and squeeze much of
>> the moisture out. Then pack it in jars with a hot B&B pickle
>> vinegar/sugar/spice mixture. I'm mostly afraid the color will be nasty,
>> or that the squash will just get soft when I process it.
>>
>> Bob

> Here is one that works well.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Squash Pickles
>
> Recipe By :
> Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.

> 8 cups squash, summer -- sliced
> 2 cups onions -- sliced
> 1 tablespoon salt
> 1 cup green pepper -- diced
> 2 cups vinegar, cider
> 3 1/2 cups sugar
> 1 teaspoon celery seed
> 1 teaspoon mustard seed
>
> Combine squash and onions. Sprinkle with salt. Let stand 1 hour.
>
> Combine peppers, vinegar, sugar and spices. Bring to a boil.
>
> Drain squash and onions, add to liquid. Boil for 1 minute
>
> Remove from heat and pack in jars.
>
> Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes for pint jars. Adjust
> for altitude.
>
> Yield:
> "4 pints"
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> - -
>
> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 49 Calories; trace Fat (1.2%
> calories from fat); trace Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
> Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 101mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0
> Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.
>

> Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

That's pretty much the one I use also. Makes good pickles.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> On 8/31/2012 4:15 PM, The Cook wrote:
>> On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 15:11:19 -0500, zxcvbob >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Who's got a good recipe? I have lots and lots of overripe yellow
>>> squash. I'm tempted to peel, grate, and salt it, and squeeze much of
>>> the moisture out. Then pack it in jars with a hot B&B pickle
>>> vinegar/sugar/spice mixture. I'm mostly afraid the color will be nasty,
>>> or that the squash will just get soft when I process it.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Here is one that works well.
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Squash Pickles
>>
>> Recipe By :
>> Serving Size : 64 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 8 cups squash, summer -- sliced
>> 2 cups onions -- sliced
>> 1 tablespoon salt
>> 1 cup green pepper -- diced
>> 2 cups vinegar, cider
>> 3 1/2 cups sugar
>> 1 teaspoon celery seed
>> 1 teaspoon mustard seed
>>
>> Combine squash and onions. Sprinkle with salt. Let stand 1 hour.
>> Combine peppers, vinegar, sugar and spices. Bring to a boil.
>> Drain squash and onions, add to liquid. Boil for 1 minute.
>> Remove from heat and pack in jars.
>>
>> Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes for pint jars. Adjust
>> for altitude.
>>
>> Yield:
>> "4 pints"

Looks good. I may use jalapeños instead of bell peppers (cuz that's
what I do), and add some turmeric. The jalapeños are not very hot this
year -- except every once in a while one will surprise ya.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/31/2012 4:34 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> On 8/31/2012 4:15 PM, The Cook wrote:

>>> Here is one that works well.
>>>

>>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>>
>>> Squash Pickles
>>>
>>> Recipe By :
>>> Serving Size : 64 Preparation Time :0:00
>>> Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.
>>>
>>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>>> 8 cups squash, summer -- sliced
>>> 2 cups onions -- sliced
>>> 1 tablespoon salt
>>> 1 cup green pepper -- diced
>>> 2 cups vinegar, cider
>>> 3 1/2 cups sugar
>>> 1 teaspoon celery seed
>>> 1 teaspoon mustard seed
>>>
>>> Combine squash and onions. Sprinkle with salt. Let stand 1 hour.
>>> Combine peppers, vinegar, sugar and spices. Bring to a boil.
>>> Drain squash and onions, add to liquid. Boil for 1 minute.
>>> Remove from heat and pack in jars.
>>>
>>> Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes for pint jars. Adjust
>>> for altitude.
>>>
>>> Yield:
>>> "4 pints"

> Looks good. I may use jalapeños instead of bell peppers (cuz that's
> what I do), and add some turmeric. The jalapeños are not very hot this
> year -- except every once in a while one will surprise ya.
>
> Bob

I'm surprised you can even grow jalapenos up there in the frozen north.
You turning into a Damned Yankee Bob, you need to get back to East Texas
and get reoriented.

I usually double the squash pickle recipe, sometimes triple. My great
grand children amaze me sometimes, won't eat this, won't eat that, will
eat anything that is pickled, love the squash pickles. 2012 was a bumper
year for summer squash for us, last year we made four pints of pickles
and got to eat two messes of sauteed squash, that was it.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 15:11:19 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>>Who's got a good recipe? I have lots and lots of overripe yellow
>>squash. I'm tempted to peel, grate, and salt it, and squeeze much of
>>the moisture out. Then pack it in jars with a hot B&B pickle
>>vinegar/sugar/spice mixture. I'm mostly afraid the color will be nasty,
>>or that the squash will just get soft when I process it.
>>
>>Bob

> Here is one that works well.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Squash Pickles
>
> Recipe By :
> Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.

> 8 cups squash, summer -- sliced
> 2 cups onions -- sliced
> 1 tablespoon salt
> 1 cup green pepper -- diced
> 2 cups vinegar, cider
> 3 1/2 cups sugar
> 1 teaspoon celery seed
> 1 teaspoon mustard seed
>
> Combine squash and onions. Sprinkle with salt. Let stand 1 hour.
>
> Combine peppers, vinegar, sugar and spices. Bring to a boil.
>
> Drain squash and onions, add to liquid. Boil for 1 minute
>
> Remove from heat and pack in jars.
>
> Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes for pint jars. Adjust
> for altitude.
>
> Yield:
> "4 pints"
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> - -
>
> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 49 Calories; trace Fat (1.2%
> calories from fat); trace Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
> Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 101mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0
> Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.
>

> Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
>
> --
> Susan N.
>
> "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
> 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
> Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

That looks like it would work. I might add, for relish I have real good
luck running the squash, cukes, etc. through a kitchen aid meat grinder.
Nice uniform chunks.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 16:34:28 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>George Shirley wrote:
>> On 8/31/2012 4:15 PM, The Cook wrote:

>>> Here is one that works well.
>>>

>>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>>
>>> Squash Pickles
>>>
>>> Recipe By :
>>> Serving Size : 64 Preparation Time :0:00
>>> Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc.
>>>
>>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>>> 8 cups squash, summer -- sliced
>>> 2 cups onions -- sliced
>>> 1 tablespoon salt
>>> 1 cup green pepper -- diced
>>> 2 cups vinegar, cider
>>> 3 1/2 cups sugar
>>> 1 teaspoon celery seed
>>> 1 teaspoon mustard seed
>>>
>>> Combine squash and onions. Sprinkle with salt. Let stand 1 hour.
>>> Combine peppers, vinegar, sugar and spices. Bring to a boil.
>>> Drain squash and onions, add to liquid. Boil for 1 minute.
>>> Remove from heat and pack in jars.
>>>
>>> Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes for pint jars. Adjust
>>> for altitude.
>>>
>>> Yield:
>>> "4 pints"

>Looks good. I may use jalapeños instead of bell peppers (cuz that's
>what I do), and add some turmeric. The jalapeños are not very hot this
>year -- except every once in a while one will surprise ya.
>
>Bob

If you have a Bread & Butter Pickle recipe that you like, just use
summer squash instead.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/1/2012 10:33 AM, The Cook wrote:

> If you have a Bread& Butter Pickle recipe that you like, just use
> summer squash instead.

Shredded overripe summer squash (especially the necks; no seeds) work
pretty well as a stand in for making Green Papaya Salad. But when I
tried it, it was a little too watery and too fishy. I think I need to
use a better grade of fish sauce next time (like Three Crabs brand) and
mix the fish sauce with the squash instead of the dressing and let it
sit -- the salt will get the squash's juices running, then squeeze it out.

(I know this has nothing to do with preserving, but the principle
carries-over)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/1/2012 8:09 AM, Shawn Martin wrote:

> That looks like it would work. I might add, for relish I have real good
> luck running the squash, cukes, etc. through a kitchen aid meat grinder.
> Nice uniform chunks.

What size plate do you use, coarse, fine, or medium? I don't have a
Kitchenaid grinder, but I do have a couple of #10 sausage ginders. (one
is hand-crank, the other is electric)

Thanks for the idea. I've heard it before and forgot.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> On 9/1/2012 8:09 AM, Shawn Martin wrote:
>
>> That looks like it would work. I might add, for relish I have real good
>> luck running the squash, cukes, etc. through a kitchen aid meat grinder.
>> Nice uniform chunks.

> What size plate do you use, coarse, fine, or medium? I don't have a
> Kitchenaid grinder, but I do have a couple of #10 sausage ginders. (one is
> hand-crank, the other is electric)
>
> Thanks for the idea. I've heard it before and forgot.
>
> Bob

I use the coarse plate. Works like a charm.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Who's got a good recipe? I have lots and lots of overripe yellow
> squash. I'm tempted to peel, grate, and salt it, and squeeze much of
> the moisture out. Then pack it in jars with a hot B&B pickle
> vinegar/sugar/spice mixture. I'm mostly afraid the color will be nasty,
> or that the squash will just get soft when I process it.
>
> Bob

I think you'd have a better shot if you cored (get rid of large seeds?)
them then sliced them thinly and treated them like a cuke for a B&B -- a
soak for three hours in salted ice water. Drain, rinse lightly. Bring
your syrup/brine to a boil and dump the pickles in just to heat them
some, then pack. If you get all the jars filled with the slices, you
might be able to boil the brine and pour it over before covering.
Process for 10 minutes. Put some turmeric in your syrup/brine. :0).
Use my recipe.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of August 20, 2012
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Shawn Martin" > wrote:
> That looks like it would work. I might add, for relish I have real good
> luck running the squash, cukes, etc. through a kitchen aid meat grinder.
> Nice uniform chunks.

HAH! I'll remember THAT next year, Shawn! Thanks.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of August 20, 2012
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> On 9/1/2012 8:09 AM, Shawn Martin wrote:
>
> > That looks like it would work. I might add, for relish I have real good
> > luck running the squash, cukes, etc. through a kitchen aid meat grinder.
> > Nice uniform chunks.

> What size plate do you use, coarse, fine, or medium? I don't have a
> Kitchenaid grinder, but I do have a couple of #10 sausage ginders. (one
> is hand-crank, the other is electric)
>
> Thanks for the idea. I've heard it before and forgot.
>
> Bob

I'd use the medium one, which in my disk selection would be the larger
one, maybe 1/4" diameter. I think you'd wind up with less juice that
way.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of August 20, 2012
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>

>> On 9/1/2012 8:09 AM, Shawn Martin wrote:
>>

>>> That looks like it would work. I might add, for relish I have real good
>>> luck running the squash, cukes, etc. through a kitchen aid meat grinder.
>>> Nice uniform chunks.
>>>

>> What size plate do you use, coarse, fine, or medium? I don't have a
>> Kitchenaid grinder, but I do have a couple of #10 sausage ginders. (one
>> is hand-crank, the other is electric)
>>
>> Thanks for the idea. I've heard it before and forgot.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> I'd use the medium one, which in my disk selection would be the larger
> one, maybe 1/4" diameter. I think you'd wind up with less juice that
> way.

I've looked at several recipes, and keep coming back to the first one
(from Taste of Home) Will start it this evening and finish tomorrow
morning before I go to work:

10 C shredded yellow summer squash
2 large onions, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
6 Tbsp canning salt
4 C sugar
3 C cider vinegar
1 Tbsp each: celery seed, ground mustard, ground turmeric
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp pepper

Combine vegetables and salt. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Drain,
rinse, drain again.
Bring remaining ingredients to a boil, add squash mixture, return to a
boil. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
Pack into 6 hot pint jars leaving 1/2" headspace, adjust lids, and
process in BWB for 15 minutes. Refrigerate any leftovers.

* * *
I'm going to grind everything in a meat grinder rather than shredding
and chopping by hand. Since the squash are so big they will be peeled
and seeded first.

That looks like too much turmeric, and not enough mustard because I'm
going to use whole dark mustard seeds. But I wonder if I should add at
least a teaspoon of ground mustard just for its thickening? A lot of
relish recipes call for a little cornstarch -- but I know that doesn't
can well and I don't have any Cleargel.

I will leave out the nutmeg and pepper, but I might add 1/2 tsp of extra
hot cayenne instead. I need to taste it first, because in addition to
the bell pepper I'm going to add a few red aji peppers (mostly because I
think the red bits will look pretty) and I don't know how much heat they
will add.

I'm gettin////g déjà vu while writing this. I wonder if I've been here
before...

Bob