Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Dang!

Still wanting to make pear mincemeat and all the pears I could get for
free dropped their fruit already. Went to Kroger this afternoon and
bought ten lbs for a buck a lb. Reckon sometime tomorrow I will make
pear mincemeat. Since I don't care for raisins and can't get real
currants down here reckon I will sub in dried blueberries and cranberries.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 09/01/2011 03:53 PM, George Shirley wrote:
> Still wanting to make pear mincemeat and all the pears I could get for
> free dropped their fruit already. Went to Kroger this afternoon and
> bought ten lbs for a buck a lb. Reckon sometime tomorrow I will make
> pear mincemeat. Since I don't care for raisins and can't get real
> currants down here reckon I will sub in dried blueberries and cranberries.

Oh, that sounds WONDERFUL.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George.....my Dad has always loved mincemeat but the kind with beef in
it.....do you put beef in yours' or just the fruits?.....Carol

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Carol S" > wrote in message
> George.....my Dad has always loved mincemeat but the kind with beef in
> it.....do you put beef in yours' or just the fruits?.....Carol

Carol, do you mean beef suet?

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ophelia.....no not suet....more like shredded beef....the Amish make it
that way alot....Carol

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Carol S" > wrote in message
> Ophelia.....no not suet....more like shredded beef....the Amish make it
> that way alot....Carol

Ok. That is how our (UK) mincemeat started out many years ago but changed
to suet.
I found this in wiki for you. It gives a 19 century recipe which does
actually uses beef.

HTH

http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Oops here it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minceme...century_recipe

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Carol S" > wrote in message
>> Ophelia.....no not suet....more like shredded beef....the Amish make it
>> that way alot....Carol

> Ok. That is how our (UK) mincemeat started out many years ago but changed
> to suet.
> I found this in wiki for you. It gives a 19 century recipe which does
> actually uses beef.
>
> HTH

> http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/1/2011 8:19 PM, Sunny wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Sep 2011 17:53:11 -0500, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> Still wanting to make pear mincemeat and all the pears I could get for
>> free dropped their fruit already. Went to Kroger this afternoon and
>> bought ten lbs for a buck a lb. Reckon sometime tomorrow I will make
>> pear mincemeat. Since I don't care for raisins and can't get real
>> currants down here reckon I will sub in dried blueberries and cranberries.
>>
>> George

> Perhaps it's time to address an issue I've had for a while. I was
> about to ask for a recipe for mincemeat and realized everytime I've
> asked for a recipe I've been given a link or a run-a-round. I would
> hope the more experienced preservers would be willing to help we
> newbies with their recipes and tips. Please consider that we respect
> the extensive knowledge and experience most of you have. Is it too
> much to ask for you to mentor we beginners?
>
> Respectfully,
> Lou

Most of us will willingly answer questions Lou, it's just that
sometimes, particularly in "canning season" we're pretty busy. As for
the links, most of the experienced canners on this newsgroup use the
USDA safety rules for canning and, rather than spend time explaining how
it works, will send you to the U of Georgia Food Safety website. As for
recipes, many, if not most, of us use recipes from "So Easy To Preserve"
or one of the Ball books. That's exactly how I'm making my pear
mincemeat, from the Ball Big Book. Many internet recipes don't actually
use food safety methods so I, for one, don't usually just send out such
recipes.

If you have specific questions feel free to post them here and, sooner
or later, one or more of us will reply.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/2/2011 12:23 AM, Carol S wrote:
> George.....my Dad has always loved mincemeat but the kind with beef in
> it.....do you put beef in yours' or just the fruits?.....Carol

Just the fruit Carol, was your Dad a Brit? I don't remember ever eating
mincemeat with beef in it here in the south. Brits I worked with years
ago loved their meat mincemeat, usually in some sort of "pie."
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. com...
> On 9/2/2011 12:23 AM, Carol S wrote:
>> George.....my Dad has always loved mincemeat but the kind with beef in
>> it.....do you put beef in yours' or just the fruits?.....Carol
>>

> Just the fruit Carol, was your Dad a Brit? I don't remember ever eating
> mincemeat with beef in it here in the south. Brits I worked with years ago
> loved their meat mincemeat, usually in some sort of "pie."

But our mincemeat pie doesn't have fruit.

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/2/2011 7:58 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> . com...
>> On 9/2/2011 12:23 AM, Carol S wrote:
>>> George.....my Dad has always loved mincemeat but the kind with beef in
>>> it.....do you put beef in yours' or just the fruits?.....Carol
>>>

>> Just the fruit Carol, was your Dad a Brit? I don't remember ever
>> eating mincemeat with beef in it here in the south. Brits I worked
>> with years ago loved their meat mincemeat, usually in some sort of "pie."

> But our mincemeat pie doesn't have fruit.

I know, minced meat in Brit speak is what we call hamburger, that's if I
remember correctly. Mincemeat pie in Great Britain is savory, not sweet.
Again, an aging mind can remember things differently.

I much preferred shepherd pie myself.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. com...
> On 9/2/2011 7:58 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> . com...
>>>>
>>> Just the fruit Carol, was your Dad a Brit? I don't remember ever
>>> eating mincemeat with beef in it here in the south. Brits I worked
>>> with years ago loved their meat mincemeat, usually in some sort of
>>> "pie."

>> But our mincemeat pie doesn't have fruit.
>>

> I know, minced meat in Brit speak is what we call hamburger, that's if I
> remember correctly.

I don't really know. I thought hamburger was that lump of minced meat
cooked into a .... err... hamburger?

Mincemeat pie in Great Britain is savory, not sweet.
> Again, an aging mind can remember things differently.

No it's not sweet. You remember it quite correctly. It is minced beef and
onion with gravy in a pie

> I much preferred shepherd pie myself.

Each has its own charms

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Carol S wrote:

> George.....my Dad has always loved mincemeat but the kind with beef in
> it.....do you put beef in yours' or just the fruits?

I thought US "mincemeat" does not have meat the way Welsh Rabbit does
not have rabbit. The name just happens to sound like it.

Interesting that mincemeat in the UK means ground meat. The would make
a mincemeat pie be in the pastie category.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/2/2011 10:35 AM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Carol S wrote:
>>
>> George.....my Dad has always loved mincemeat but the kind with beef in
>> it.....do you put beef in yours' or just the fruits?

> I thought US "mincemeat" does not have meat the way Welsh Rabbit does
> not have rabbit. The name just happens to sound like it.
>
> Interesting that mincemeat in the UK means ground meat. The would make
> a mincemeat pie be in the pastie category.

So much misinformation caused by ambiguity in British English

There are two different uses of "mincemeat".

"Minced meat" - two words - or "mince", is meat that has been ground -
the meat is "minced". I can't remember if the etymology is from Latin or
French.

"Mincemeat" - one word - is a sweet, spiced mix of various fruits,
usually including raisins, sultanas, cloves, cinnamon, and ginger. Its
name derives from its origin as "cheap meat" - it was originally ground
meat, but as meat got more expensive, more and more fruit got
substituted until all that remained of the sweet ground meat mixture was
the suet, or beef fat.

A "mincemeat tart (or pie)" is a sweet, spiced, fruit tart - it is not a
savoury "meat pie".

Hope this helps!

--
Please keep replies to the newsgroup

stuart "at" addictedtocanning "dot" com

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Oh, here's the etymolgy:

The "mince" in mincemeat comes from the Middle English mincen, and the
Old French mincier both traceable to the Vulgar Latin minutiare and
Latin minutia meaning smallness. The word mincemeat is an adaptation of
an earlier term minced meat, meaning finely chopped meat. Meat was also
a term for food in general, not only animal flesh.

--
Please keep replies to the newsgroup

stuart "at" addictedtocanning "dot" com

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Stuart" > wrote in message
> On 9/2/2011 10:35 AM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
>> Carol S wrote:
>>>
>>> George.....my Dad has always loved mincemeat but the kind with beef in
>>> it.....do you put beef in yours' or just the fruits?

>> I thought US "mincemeat" does not have meat the way Welsh Rabbit does
>> not have rabbit. The name just happens to sound like it.
>>
>> Interesting that mincemeat in the UK means ground meat. The would make
>> a mincemeat pie be in the pastie category.

> So much misinformation caused by ambiguity in British English
>
> There are two different uses of "mincemeat".
>
> "Minced meat" - two words - or "mince", is meat that has been ground - the
> meat is "minced". I can't remember if the etymology is from Latin or
> French.
>
> "Mincemeat" - one word - is a sweet, spiced mix of various fruits, usually
> including raisins, sultanas, cloves, cinnamon, and ginger. Its name
> derives from its origin as "cheap meat" - it was originally ground meat,
> but as meat got more expensive, more and more fruit got substituted until
> all that remained of the sweet ground meat mixture was the suet, or beef
> fat.
>
> A "mincemeat tart (or pie)" is a sweet, spiced, fruit tart - it is not a
> savoury "meat pie".
>
> Hope this helps!

Exactly right)

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/2/2011 10:35 AM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Carol S wrote:
>>
>> George.....my Dad has always loved mincemeat but the kind with beef in
>> it.....do you put beef in yours' or just the fruits?

> I thought US "mincemeat" does not have meat the way Welsh Rabbit does
> not have rabbit. The name just happens to sound like it.
>
> Interesting that mincemeat in the UK means ground meat. The would make
> a mincemeat pie be in the pastie category.

Depends upon which part of Blighty you're from. I think Lady O is
originally a Yorkie but lives in Glasgow now, that doesn't make her a
Glaswegian though. At least according to my Scots friends. I don't think
she's Cornish or she would refer to meat pasties. Gawd, I'm surprised I
even remember what my many Brit friends taught me 28 years ago. Not to
mention the Irish I worked with, they really eat strange things.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/2/2011 10:50 AM, Stuart wrote:
> On 9/2/2011 10:35 AM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
>> Carol S wrote:
>>>
>>> George.....my Dad has always loved mincemeat but the kind with beef in
>>> it.....do you put beef in yours' or just the fruits?

>> I thought US "mincemeat" does not have meat the way Welsh Rabbit does
>> not have rabbit. The name just happens to sound like it.
>>
>> Interesting that mincemeat in the UK means ground meat. The would make
>> a mincemeat pie be in the pastie category.

> So much misinformation caused by ambiguity in British English
>
> There are two different uses of "mincemeat".
>
> "Minced meat" - two words - or "mince", is meat that has been ground -
> the meat is "minced". I can't remember if the etymology is from Latin or
> French.
>
> "Mincemeat" - one word - is a sweet, spiced mix of various fruits,
> usually including raisins, sultanas, cloves, cinnamon, and ginger. Its
> name derives from its origin as "cheap meat" - it was originally ground
> meat, but as meat got more expensive, more and more fruit got
> substituted until all that remained of the sweet ground meat mixture was
> the suet, or beef fat.
>
> A "mincemeat tart (or pie)" is a sweet, spiced, fruit tart - it is not a
> savoury "meat pie".
>
> Hope this helps!

Right on! I had forgotten the "minced meat" part. It's all starting to
run together.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. com...
> On 9/2/2011 10:35 AM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
>> Carol S wrote:
>>>
>>> George.....my Dad has always loved mincemeat but the kind with beef in
>>> it.....do you put beef in yours' or just the fruits?

>> I thought US "mincemeat" does not have meat the way Welsh Rabbit does
>> not have rabbit. The name just happens to sound like it.
>>
>> Interesting that mincemeat in the UK means ground meat. The would make
>> a mincemeat pie be in the pastie category.

> Depends upon which part of Blighty you're from. I think Lady O is
> originally a Yorkie but lives in Glasgow now, that doesn't make her a
> Glaswegian though.

All true and while it might not make me Glasgwegian, since I worked among
them for over 25 years I suspect some of it might have rubbed off)

At least according to my Scots friends. I don't think
> she's Cornish or she would refer to meat pasties.

Well, not only the Cornish have pasties you know Many people make pasties
too even though the are indeed called 'Cornish pasties' We can buy them
in any spmrkt in UK

Gawd, I'm surprised I
> even remember what my many Brit friends taught me 28 years ago. Not to
> mention the Irish I worked with, they really eat strange things.

lol you have a very good memory George

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. com...
> On 9/2/2011 10:35 AM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
>> Carol S wrote:
>>>
>>> George.....my Dad has always loved mincemeat but the kind with beef in
>>> it.....do you put beef in yours' or just the fruits?

>> I thought US "mincemeat" does not have meat the way Welsh Rabbit does
>> not have rabbit. The name just happens to sound like it.
>>
>> Interesting that mincemeat in the UK means ground meat. The would make
>> a mincemeat pie be in the pastie category.

> Depends upon which part of Blighty you're from. I think Lady O is
> originally a Yorkie but lives in Glasgow now, that doesn't make her a
> Glaswegian though.

All true and while it might not make me Glasgwegian, since I worked among
them for over 25 years I suspect some of it might have rubbed off)

At least according to my Scots friends. I don't think
> she's Cornish or she would refer to meat pasties.

Well, not only the Cornish make pasties you know Many people make pasties
too and they even call them 'Cornish pasties' Also we can buy them all
over UK

I was talking about a mince pie, which is minced meat, onions and gravy on a
plate/dish with a pastry lid. Pasties contain meat and veg and the pastry
is folded over into a kind of half moon shape to make a pasty. Some people
make sweet pasties too

Gawd, I'm surprised I
> even remember what my many Brit friends taught me 28 years ago. Not to
> mention the Irish I worked with, they really eat strange things.

lol you have a very good memory George

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ooops first one went before I was finished. Please disregard the previous
one.

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> . com...

>>> I thought US "mincemeat" does not have meat the way Welsh Rabbit does
>>> not have rabbit. The name just happens to sound like it.
>>>
>>> Interesting that mincemeat in the UK means ground meat. The would make
>>> a mincemeat pie be in the pastie category.

>> Depends upon which part of Blighty you're from. I think Lady O is
>> originally a Yorkie but lives in Glasgow now, that doesn't make her a
>> Glaswegian though.

> All true and while it might not make me Glasgwegian, since I worked among
> them for over 25 years I suspect some of it might have rubbed off)
>
> At least according to my Scots friends. I don't think
>> she's Cornish or she would refer to meat pasties.

> Well, not only the Cornish make pasties you know Many people make
> pasties
> too and they even call them 'Cornish pasties' Also we can buy them all
> over UK
>
> I was talking about a mince pie, which is minced meat, onions and gravy on
> plate/dish with a pastry lid. Pasties contain meat and veg and the pastry
> is folded over into a kind of half moon shape to make a pasty. Some
> people
> make sweet pasties too
>

> Gawd, I'm surprised I
>> even remember what my many Brit friends taught me 28 years ago. Not to
>> mention the Irish I worked with, they really eat strange things.

> lol you have a very good memory George
>

> --
> http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ophelia wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote:
>> Doug Freyburger wrote:

>>> Interesting that mincemeat in the UK means ground meat. The would make
>>> a mincemeat pie be in the pastie category.

>> At least according to my Scots friends. I don't think
>> she's Cornish or she would refer to meat pasties.

> Well, not only the Cornish make pasties you know Many people make pasties
> too and they even call them 'Cornish pasties' Also we can buy them all
> over UK

Russian - piroshki. Polish - Perogis. Cornish - pastie. Italian -
calzone. The list goes on and on. There was some comedy movie where
Napoleon heard that the Duke of Wellington was designing a meat pie dish
so he insisted that a pasty be developed and called Napoleon.

> I was talking about a mince pie, which is minced meat, onions and gravy on a
> plate/dish with a pastry lid. Pasties contain meat and veg and the pastry
> is folded over into a kind of half moon shape to make a pasty.

US - pot pie.

> Some people make sweet pasties too

US - Danish. ;^)

US - apple pie. The canonical American dish. Made from non-native
fruit, non-native grain and shortening from non-native animal fat.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

I don't know the correct term for the pie that my Dad likes here in
Ohio...USA.....minced meat or mincemeat.....it's usually available
during Thanksgiving and Christmas at a local Amish bakery and it has
ground meat and fruits in it.....I just order it and pick it up...Carol

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:

>>> At least according to my Scots friends. I don't think
>>> she's Cornish or she would refer to meat pasties.

>> Well, not only the Cornish make pasties you know Many people make
>> pasties
>> too and they even call them 'Cornish pasties' Also we can buy them
>> all
>> over UK

> Russian - piroshki. Polish - Perogis. Cornish - pastie. Italian -
> calzone. The list goes on and on. There was some comedy movie where
> Napoleon heard that the Duke of Wellington was designing a meat pie dish
> so he insisted that a pasty be developed and called Napoleon.
>
>> I was talking about a mince pie, which is minced meat, onions and gravy
>> on a
>> plate/dish with a pastry lid. Pasties contain meat and veg and the
>> pastry
>> is folded over into a kind of half moon shape to make a pasty.

> US - pot pie.
>
>> Some people make sweet pasties too

> US - Danish. ;^)
>
> US - apple pie. The canonical American dish. Made from non-native
> fruit, non-native grain and shortening from non-native animal fat.

As they say, there is nothing new under the sun)

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sep 2, 1:12*pm, "Ophelia" > wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>
> . com...

> >> I thought US "mincemeat" does not have meat the way Welsh Rabbit does
> >> not have rabbit. The name just happens to sound like it.

> >> Interesting that mincemeat in the UK means ground meat. *The would make
> >> a mincemeat pie be in the pastie category.

> > Depends upon which part of Blighty you're from. I think Lady O is
> > originally a Yorkie but lives in Glasgow now, that doesn't make her a
> > Glaswegian though.

> All true and while it might not make me Glasgwegian, since I worked among
> them for over 25 years I suspect some of it might have rubbed off)
>
> At least according to my Scots friends. I don't think
>
> > she's Cornish or she would refer to meat pasties.

> Well, not only the Cornish have pasties you know *Many people make pasties
> too even though the are indeed called 'Cornish pasties' *We can buy them
> in any spmrkt in UK

You can also get pasties in most supermarkets in Northern Wisconsin
and in the UP of Michigan,too. I learned all about them living in
Green Bay for 11 years.
Connie TC

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Connie TC" > wrote in message
> On Sep 2, 1:12 pm, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>>
>> . com...

>> > Depends upon which part of Blighty you're from. I think Lady O is
>> > originally a Yorkie but lives in Glasgow now, that doesn't make her a
>> > Glaswegian though.

>> All true and while it might not make me Glasgwegian, since I worked among
>> them for over 25 years I suspect some of it might have rubbed off)
>>
>> At least according to my Scots friends. I don't think
>>
>> > she's Cornish or she would refer to meat pasties.

>> Well, not only the Cornish have pasties you know Many people make
>> pasties
>> too even though the are indeed called 'Cornish pasties' We can buy
>> them
>> in any spmrkt in UK

> You can also get pasties in most supermarkets in Northern Wisconsin
> and in the UP of Michigan,too. I learned all about them living in
> Green Bay for 11 years.

There ya go Pasties are pasties the whole world over)

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 9/2/2011 4:24 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Connie TC" > wrote in message
>> On Sep 2, 1:12 pm, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>>> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> . com...

>>> All true and while it might not make me Glasgwegian, since I worked
>>> among
>>> them for over 25 years I suspect some of it might have rubbed off)
>>>
>>> At least according to my Scots friends. I don't think

>>> Well, not only the Cornish have pasties you know Many people make
>>> pasties
>>> too even though the are indeed called 'Cornish pasties' We can buy
>>> them
>>> in any spmrkt in UK

>> You can also get pasties in most supermarkets in Northern Wisconsin
>> and in the UP of Michigan,too. I learned all about them living in
>> Green Bay for 11 years.

> There ya go Pasties are pasties the whole world over)

The first ones I ever saw were in New Orleans in May of 1957, Blaze
Starr was wearing them. <G>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. com...
> On 9/2/2011 4:24 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> You can also get pasties in most supermarkets in Northern Wisconsin
>>> and in the UP of Michigan,too. I learned all about them living in
>>> Green Bay for 11 years.

>> There ya go Pasties are pasties the whole world over)
>>

> The first ones I ever saw were in New Orleans in May of 1957, Blaze Starr
> was wearing them. <G>

rofl I had to ask about that one )))))))))

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Connie TC wrote:
>Ophelia wrote:

>> Well, not only the Cornish have pasties you know Â*Many people make pasties
>> too even though the are indeed called 'Cornish pasties' Â*We can buy them
>> in any spmrkt in UK

> You can also get pasties in most supermarkets in Northern Wisconsin
> and in the UP of Michigan,too. I learned all about them living in
> Green Bay for 11 years.

my first pasty was when i went to Michigan Tech in
the UP many years ago. then i discovered a local
grocery store that carried vegetarian ones that
a local lady made with whole wheat crust. with
cheese, brocolli, potatoes, rutabaga, onion,
mushrooms... very yummy. i ate many hundred of
them over the years until she stopped making them.

once in while when i am up that way visiting
i'll still have one on the go as i like them
a lot better than most fast food.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Carol S wrote:

> I don't know the correct term for the pie that my Dad likes here in
> Ohio...USA.....minced meat or mincemeat.....it's usually available
> during Thanksgiving and Christmas at a local Amish bakery and it has
> ground meat and fruits in it.....I just order it and pick it up...Carol

mincemeat or mince pie was how they were
labeled when i've seen them.

we always had the kind with the sweet fruit
filling like George is talking about making.
i think the raisins and the heavy spiced fruits
were meant to be a poor mans meat pie.

i'd gladly try the other kind, but haven't
had one dished up to me yet.

it's all yummy to me.

songbird

Posted to rec.food.preserving

I made pear mincemeat years ago. Wasn't a big hit with my Hun Bun when
I made a pie out of it so haven't made it again. Didn't have meat in
it but it did have raisins. I think it was too laden with warm spices
for his taste. Might make a small batch in future if I get an
abundance of pears for some kind soul.

: - ]

Finally getting some rain--outer bands of tropical storm Lee are
hitting here tonight.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"songbird" > wrote in message
> Carol S wrote:
>
>> I don't know the correct term for the pie that my Dad likes here in
>> Ohio...USA.....minced meat or mincemeat.....it's usually available
>> during Thanksgiving and Christmas at a local Amish bakery and it has
>> ground meat and fruits in it.....I just order it and pick it up...Carol

> mincemeat or mince pie was how they were
> labeled when i've seen them.
>
> we always had the kind with the sweet fruit
> filling like George is talking about making.
> i think the raisins and the heavy spiced fruits
> were meant to be a poor mans meat pie.

This is the one we traditionally eat at Christmas.

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Dang it! zxcvbob Preserving 42 17-01-2008 11:12 PM
Dang! Little Malice General Cooking 0 19-07-2007 12:11 AM
Dang, that was good! Sheldon General Cooking 5 23-05-2007 04:21 PM
Dang! Did EVERYBODY go down for a nap? Ninety Nine General Cooking 0 01-02-2007 05:34 PM