Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Hauling them jams and jellies around

We visited a dear friend yesterday, she lives about 35 miles from us
over in Texas. She fell a couple of months ago and broke her right femur
into roughly eight pieces. Has fifteen screws and a plate about eight
inches long in the bone now. She's confined to a wheel chair and is just
now starting to be able to stand on her good foot and do a few things.

Since she no longer cans anything we took her a box of pickles, some fig
jam, and a jar of kumquat marmalade. We intended to stay about an hour
and ended up staying almost six hours. She and I met in 1954 when we
moved into our sophomore class in high school and graduated together in
1957. We had always been good friends and, when I married Miz Anne and
brought her to Texas in 1960, they became good friends too.

At any rate we had a nice visit with our friend and she, in turn, gave
us about a dozen pint and half pint fruit jars that others had given her
filled with jellies and didn't ask for them to be returned. Being nice
has its rewards I guess.

It was nice to be able to go back to the area where I grew up and see
how much it has changed, almost beyond my recognition. I even had
problems finding my friends home though I had helped them build it forty
odd years ago. Neighborhoods, even rural ones do change.

She works in the school system there as a secretary and has for many
years. Told me the school was going to graduate 110 students this month.
Their biggest class ever. Ours was 32 people, many of whom are long gone
now. We will be going back on the second Saturday in June when the
annual former student homecoming is held. The committee provides the
brisket and we all bring side dishes and desserts. I generally take a
pickle plate with about four pints of various pickles on it and never
get to take any home, reckon I'll do it again this year.

This was Miz Anne's first long trip since her fall and she did very
well. She is also driving herself to church now and is moving about with
her cane quite well. Spends a lot of time outside with her flowers and
the gardens and that is helping her to heal too.

I hope all you mothers had a good Mother's Day too, both our kids and
two of the grandkids called to wish her a good day.

George
Father Inquisitor, HOSSPOJ
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
. com...
> We visited a dear friend yesterday, she lives about 35 miles from us over
> in Texas. She fell a couple of months ago and broke her right femur into
> roughly eight pieces. Has fifteen screws and a plate about eight inches
> long in the bone now. She's confined to a wheel chair and is just now
> starting to be able to stand on her good foot and do a few things.
>
> Since she no longer cans anything we took her a box of pickles, some fig
> jam, and a jar of kumquat marmalade. We intended to stay about an hour and
> ended up staying almost six hours. She and I met in 1954 when we moved
> into our sophomore class in high school and graduated together in 1957. We
> had always been good friends and, when I married Miz Anne and brought her
> to Texas in 1960, they became good friends too.
>
> At any rate we had a nice visit with our friend and she, in turn, gave us
> about a dozen pint and half pint fruit jars that others had given her
> filled with jellies and didn't ask for them to be returned. Being nice has
> its rewards I guess.
>
> It was nice to be able to go back to the area where I grew up and see how
> much it has changed, almost beyond my recognition. I even had problems
> finding my friends home though I had helped them build it forty odd years
> ago. Neighborhoods, even rural ones do change.
>
> She works in the school system there as a secretary and has for many
> years. Told me the school was going to graduate 110 students this month.
> Their biggest class ever. Ours was 32 people, many of whom are long gone
> now. We will be going back on the second Saturday in June when the annual
> former student homecoming is held. The committee provides the brisket and
> we all bring side dishes and desserts. I generally take a pickle plate
> with about four pints of various pickles on it and never get to take any
> home, reckon I'll do it again this year.
>
> This was Miz Anne's first long trip since her fall and she did very well.
> She is also driving herself to church now and is moving about with her
> cane quite well. Spends a lot of time outside with her flowers and the
> gardens and that is helping her to heal too.

I am so pleased for you both You are getting your lives back together

> I hope all you mothers had a good Mother's Day too, both our kids and two
> of the grandkids called to wish her a good day.

Good wishes to everyone from me too, I had a lovely Mother's day

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/