Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Mixed veggies stored in 5% vinegar and in clear jars on kitchen counter at room temp.

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:

>> > Nodnodnod you are my guru so I must be guided...... <cough>
>> >
>> > Now! Let's get down to business.... what's with the dipping ladle.. eh?
>> >

>> The blessed instrument of all food preservers, you use it to dip the
>> jams, jellies, and pickling liquid from the cooking pot.

> Since I pour mine from either the pot or a measuring pitcher, does this
> mean I can thump you with those?

Oooerrrrrr

O hides behind Barb oo seems to 'ave the fiercest thumper!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>> Ok. Traditionally I use malt vinegar and as I said, I boil that down to
>> reduce it. Oh mine was for pickled eggs btw
>>
>> I haven't pickled any veg yet but I am getting ready to do so when I have
>> my
>> Calcium Chloride in and I expect I shall be bugging George
>>

> How acidic is malt vinegar, O? The 'merikan recipes and measures are
> based on 5% strength.

Just been down to have a look.. yep.. it says it is 5% acidity!

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> On 2/9/2011 2:50 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>>> I have found a few of the boxed stocks in the market are okay but
>>> usually
>>> higher in sodium content than we like. I've been off salt for so many
>>> years that the whole world out there seems salty to me.

>> Same here! Not used it for a long time. I do keep something called 'low
>> salt' in the cupboard but it is rarely used and I never use it for
>> cooking.
>>
>>> Just visited a friend who gave me ten lbs of shrimp heads she had in the
>>> freezer. They're in the big stainless stock pot at the moment, simmering
>>> into stock for making gumbo later. I seldom buy fresh shrimp anymore as
>>> the local shrimpers like to sell them in 100 lb lots and I have no room
>>> for that much at one time. Our friends have a very large extended family
>>> and they buy 200 lbs at a time and share them out. I had asked for some
>>> heads and by golly she remembered. When I went over to get them I took
>>> several jars of jams, jellies, and pickles with me. That should keep
>>> me on
>>> their good side.

>> You are just spoilt <g> I bet they are more than happy to share with you
>> when you are so generous with your preserves

> As the progenitor of approximately 18 people, that includes spouse and
> significant others of course, I have a duty to feed all of those six foot
> plus, two hundred pounds plus people. It's hard to imagine that two short
> people made so many large people. Could it have been nurture, ie lots of
> food, rather than nature?

I think it is all about the good food you have made for them!! Nurture...
without doubt

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Alfie > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin';523667 Wrote:

(snip)
> > When you get stuck, the people here are usually helpful and usually
> > on-topic. We used to have a kick-ass FAQ file but its keeper no longer
> > does and I don't even know if it's hosted anywhere anymore. If you ever
> > run across one that says it's owned by Eric Decker, that's not it.

> Thank you so much for your informative post! I have a lot of reading to
> do on preserving.

> While doing some hunting for the Ball Blue Book, (Which I just ordered
> from Amazon), I found this page: 'Free Publications to Download Here
> about Home Canning, Freezing, Preserving and Makign Jams and Jellies!'
> (http://www.pickyourown.org/canningpubs.htm) which has a lot of great
> links on it.

I tend to be skeptical about sites that allow glaring spelling errors,
especially in headline information. It's a character flaw of mine.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella