Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Request__How do you can Eggplant (Caponata)

Hi all, A friend of mine has a ton of eggplant & would like to can them.
Does anybody have any recipes?? She is especially interested in canning
Caponata. Any help will be greatly appreciated. John
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 10/28/2010 3:39 PM, wrote:
> Hi all, A friend of mine has a ton of eggplant& would like to can them.
> Does anybody have any recipes?? She is especially interested in canning
> Caponata. Any help will be greatly appreciated. John

I've always frozen eggplant caponata, canning eggplant is practically
impossible due to degradation of the eggplant due to high heat for a
long term. Here's the recipe and how I do it, got the recipe from Naomi
in Idaho eons ago:

EGGPLANT CAPONATA

Servings: 8

Notes: (freezable

Serving Ideas: Serve as an antipasto, with pasta, over an omelet, or
just chilled as a sidedish.

¼ cup olive oil
2 chopped onions
1 lb diced eggplant
4 chopped tomatoes (I like plum tomatoes best) (4 to 5)
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 Tbsp n capers
½ cup chopped green olives
2 Tbsp n wine vinegar
2 Tbsp n lemon juice
2 Tsp n honey

Start with the oil and onion and then the eggplant and tomato and cook
for 30 minutes. Stir it occasionally. Then put everything else in and
cook for 10 more minutes. Chill and serve, serve hot if desired. Chill
and freeze. If you don’t have capers put in more olives. I often find
capers heavily discounted at Big Lots because most cooks around here
don’t know what they are. I generally buy a couple of large bottles. If
you don’t have lemons use more vinegar. Often you need to add a hit of
vinegar after thawing the frozen version to pep up the taste. I often
double or triple the recipe to make enough to freeze at one time. For
two people I put it in quart freezer containers although pints would
make more sense for two. Once frozen I then dump it into a vac bag and
seal it, lasts longer in the freezer without degrading that way.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Thanks George. I will tell my friend. John
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Oct 28, 5:30*pm, George Shirley > wrote:
> On 10/28/2010 3:39 PM, wrote:
>
> > Hi all, *A friend of mine has a ton of eggplant& *would like to can them.
> > Does anybody have any recipes?? She is especially interested in canning
> > Caponata. Any help will be greatly appreciated. *John

> I've always frozen eggplant caponata, canning eggplant is practically
> impossible due to degradation of the eggplant due to high heat for a
> long term. Here's the recipe and how I do it, got the recipe from Naomi
> in Idaho eons ago:
>
> EGGPLANT CAPONATA
>
> Servings: 8
>
> Notes: (freezable
>
> Serving Ideas: Serve as an antipasto, with pasta, over an omelet, or
> just chilled as a sidedish.
>
> ¼ cup olive oil
> 2 chopped onions
> 1 lb diced eggplant
> 4 chopped tomatoes (I like plum tomatoes best) (4 to 5)
> 2 stalks celery, chopped
> 2 Tbsp n capers
> ½ cup chopped green olives
> 2 Tbsp n wine vinegar
> 2 Tbsp n lemon juice
> 2 Tsp n honey
>
> Start with the oil and onion and then the eggplant and tomato and cook
> for 30 minutes. Stir it occasionally. Then put everything else in and
> cook for 10 more minutes. Chill and serve, serve hot if desired. Chill
> and freeze. *If you don’t have capers put in more olives. I often find
> capers heavily discounted at Big Lots because most cooks around here
> don’t know what they are. I generally buy a couple of large bottles. If
> you don’t have lemons use more vinegar. Often you need to add a hit of
> vinegar after thawing the frozen version to pep up the taste. I often
> double or triple the recipe to make enough to freeze at one time. For
> two people I put it in quart freezer containers although pints would
> make more sense for two. Once frozen I then dump it into a vac bag and
> seal it, lasts longer in the freezer without degrading that way.

do you peel the eggplant before using for CAPPONATA?
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 10/29/2010 9:00 AM, Kitty wrote:
> On Oct 28, 5:30 pm, George > wrote:
>> On 10/28/2010 3:39 PM, wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all, A friend of mine has a ton of eggplant& would like to can them.
>>> Does anybody have any recipes?? She is especially interested in canning
>>> Caponata. Any help will be greatly appreciated. John

>> I've always frozen eggplant caponata, canning eggplant is practically
>> impossible due to degradation of the eggplant due to high heat for a
>> long term. Here's the recipe and how I do it, got the recipe from Naomi
>> in Idaho eons ago:
>>
>> EGGPLANT CAPONATA
>>
>> Servings: 8
>>
>> Notes: (freezable
>>
>> Serving Ideas: Serve as an antipasto, with pasta, over an omelet, or
>> just chilled as a sidedish.
>>
>> ¼ cup olive oil
>> 2 chopped onions
>> 1 lb diced eggplant
>> 4 chopped tomatoes (I like plum tomatoes best) (4 to 5)
>> 2 stalks celery, chopped
>> 2 Tbsp n capers
>> ½ cup chopped green olives
>> 2 Tbsp n wine vinegar
>> 2 Tbsp n lemon juice
>> 2 Tsp n honey
>>
>> Start with the oil and onion and then the eggplant and tomato and cook
>> for 30 minutes. Stir it occasionally. Then put everything else in and
>> cook for 10 more minutes. Chill and serve, serve hot if desired. Chill
>> and freeze. If you don’t have capers put in more olives. I often find
>> capers heavily discounted at Big Lots because most cooks around here
>> don’t know what they are. I generally buy a couple of large bottles. If
>> you don’t have lemons use more vinegar. Often you need to add a hit of
>> vinegar after thawing the frozen version to pep up the taste. I often
>> double or triple the recipe to make enough to freeze at one time. For
>> two people I put it in quart freezer containers although pints would
>> make more sense for two. Once frozen I then dump it into a vac bag and
>> seal it, lasts longer in the freezer without degrading that way.

> do you peel the eggplant before using for CAPPONATA?

Always, I've never met an eggplant with edible skin.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> EGGPLANT CAPONATA
>
> ¼ cup olive oil
> 2 chopped onions
> 1 lb diced eggplant
> 4 chopped tomatoes (I like plum tomatoes best) (4 to 5)
> 2 stalks celery, chopped
> 2 Tbsp n capers
> ½ cup chopped green olives
> 2 Tbsp n wine vinegar
> 2 Tbsp n lemon juice
> 2 Tsp n honey

I've purchased "Adjvar" from Amenian/Greek/Turkish specialty shops.
It is jarred paste made from eggplant and bell peppers plus other
ingredients. In fact bell peppers are one of my few strong food
dislikes yet I like Adjvar. I think it's because whatever chemical I
find disgusting in bell peppers must be volatile and it boils off in the
cooking phase.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 10/29/2010 08:13 AM, George Shirley wrote:
> On 10/29/2010 9:00 AM, Kitty wrote:

>> do you peel the eggplant before using for CAPPONATA?

> Always, I've never met an eggplant with edible skin.

The thin Japanese eggplant I buy have very thin and inoffensive skins,
and I see no reason to remove those even if one normally doesn't like
eggplant skin, but I eat the skins of all eggplant. I don't peel them.
The only exception is for baba ganouj, and that's a texture thing: I
scoop the roasted eggplant out of the skin. Occasionally, I leave the
skin on, but I don't particularly like what it does to the texture.

Serene
--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
New post: French Fridays with Dorie: Marie-Hélène’s Apple Cake