FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   Request help on pickled green tomatoes (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/399810-request-help-pickled-green.html)

[email protected] 20-08-2010 12:18 AM

Request help on pickled green tomatoes

Hi all,
Can someone please give me some help on canning dill green tomatoes. The
recipes that I have call for sprigs of fresh dill. I don't have any so I
intend to use either dried dill weed or dried dill seeds. Can some give me
the amount of seeds or dried weed needed to equal 1 sprig. Thanks.
John

George Shirley[_2_] 20-08-2010 12:44 AM

On 8/19/2010 6:18 PM, wrote:
> Hi all,
> Can someone please give me some help on canning dill green tomatoes. The
> recipes that I have call for sprigs of fresh dill. I don't have any so I
> intend to use either dried dill weed or dried dill seeds. Can some give me
> the amount of seeds or dried weed needed to equal 1 sprig. Thanks.
> John

You can use two tablespoons dill seed for each four lbs of pickling
vegetable and get the same results. Using dried fernleaf dill I usually
put two sprigs in each pint jar and four in each quart jar when I make
pickled green tomatoes.

[email protected] 20-08-2010 03:49 AM

Request help on pickled green tomatoes

Thanks George,
Do you ever use store bought dried dill? If so how much would you need
per pint of pickled green tomatoes?
John

George Shirley[_2_] 21-08-2010 12:50 AM

On 8/19/2010 9:49 PM, wrote:
> Thanks George,
> Do you ever use store bought dried dill? If so how much would you need
> per pint of pickled green tomatoes?
> John

A couple of times John, when my herb garden failed to produce. I
always put about a tablespoon of the dried dill leaf in a pint, any more
and it can really get strong. The thing to remember about dehydrated
herbs is that they are 1.5 to 2 times a strong as fresh herbs.

[email protected] 21-08-2010 02:43 AM

Request help on pickled green tomatoes

Thanks George,
I will remember that .That's the kind of info that a canner can really
use..That's what I like about this NG, People who have the experience and
the knowledge and like to share it with others. Thanks again. John

gloria.p 21-08-2010 03:26 AM

George Shirley wrote:
> On 8/19/2010 9:49 PM, wrote:
>> Thanks George,
>> Do you ever use store bought dried dill? If so how much would you
>> need
>> per pint of pickled green tomatoes?
>> John

> A couple of times John, when my herb garden failed to produce. I always
> put about a tablespoon of the dried dill leaf in a pint, any more and it
> can really get strong. The thing to remember about dehydrated herbs is
> that they are 1.5 to 2 times a strong as fresh herbs.

Yes, if the dehydrated aren't 10 years old, like many people's herbs and
spices. ;-)

gloria p

The Cook 21-08-2010 04:48 PM

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 01:43:53 GMT, wrote:

>Thanks George,
> I will remember that .That's the kind of info that a canner can really
> use..That's what I like about this NG, People who have the experience and
> the knowledge and like to share it with others. Thanks again. John

From the University of Georgia book, for a quart jar:
3 heads of dill
1 to 2 tablespoons dill seed
2 tablespoons dill weed
--
Susan N.

George Shirley[_2_] 21-08-2010 05:08 PM

On 8/20/2010 9:26 PM, gloria.p wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> On 8/19/2010 9:49 PM, wrote:
>>> Thanks George,
>>> Do you ever use store bought dried dill? If so how much would you need
>>> per pint of pickled green tomatoes?
>>> John

>> A couple of times John, when my herb garden failed to produce. I
>> always put about a tablespoon of the dried dill leaf in a pint, any
>> more and it can really get strong. The thing to remember about
>> dehydrated herbs is that they are 1.5 to 2 times a strong as fresh herbs.

> Yes, if the dehydrated aren't 10 years old, like many people's herbs and
> spices. ;-)
>
> gloria p

When I get a bumper crop I dehydrate my own, they go into a vacuum
sealed jar that is kept in the dark. I've used them up to three years
old with no problem.

This year I dehydrated eight trays of fernleaf dill, I like it better
than I do the regular dill. One year we saved two quarts of dill seed,
crush a few of those babies and rub them behind your ears, pickle lovers
will follow you everywhere you go. <G>