Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Waking up kosher dills

I've had a 2 qt. jar of store-bought kosher dill pickles for a while.
They're still crunchy, but they've lost that sharpness. Maybe 3 cups of
liquid left. I was thinking of adding 1 tsp each of garlic salt and kosher
salt plus 2 Tbs of vinegar. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> I've had a 2 qt. jar of store-bought kosher dill pickles for a while.
> They're still crunchy, but they've lost that sharpness. Maybe 3 cups of
> liquid left. I was thinking of adding 1 tsp each of garlic salt and kosher
> salt plus 2 Tbs of vinegar. Any thoughts appreciated.

Can't see why not. The brine, if nothing else, will be sharper. :-)

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.preserving
ST ST is offline

Nick Cramer <nt> wrote:

>I've had a 2 qt. jar of store-bought kosher dill pickles for a while.
>They're still crunchy, but they've lost that sharpness. Maybe 3 cups of
>liquid left. I was thinking of adding 1 tsp each of garlic salt and kosher
>salt plus 2 Tbs of vinegar. Any thoughts appreciated.

I'd be inclined to add a drop dill oil, maybe some cayenne pepper.
SDT
Posted to rec.food.preserving

ST wrote:
> Nick Cramer <nt> wrote:
>
>> I've had a 2 qt. jar of store-bought kosher dill pickles for a while.
>> They're still crunchy, but they've lost that sharpness. Maybe 3 cups of
>> liquid left. I was thinking of adding 1 tsp each of garlic salt and kosher
>> salt plus 2 Tbs of vinegar. Any thoughts appreciated.

> I'd be inclined to add a drop dill oil, maybe some cayenne pepper.
> SDT

Or you could turn them into sweet dills by draining off the liquid and
adding a bunch of sugar.
Connie TC
Posted to rec.food.preserving

ST > wrote:
> Nick Cramer <nt> wrote:
>
> >I've had a 2 qt. jar of store-bought kosher dill pickles for a while.
> >They're still crunchy, but they've lost that sharpness. Maybe 3 cups of
> >liquid left. I was thinking of adding 1 tsp each of garlic salt and
> >kosher salt plus 2 Tbs of vinegar. Any thoughts appreciated.

> I'd be inclined to add a drop dill oil, maybe some cayenne pepper.

Thanks, ST. I have garlic, salt, vinegar and hot red pepper flakes in the
house, so that's what I'll probably go with.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Connie TenClay > wrote:
> ST wrote:
> > Nick Cramer <nt> wrote:
> >
> >> I've had a 2 qt. jar of store-bought kosher dill pickles for a while.
> >> They're still crunchy, but they've lost that sharpness. Maybe 3 cups
> >> of liquid left. I was thinking of adding 1 tsp each of garlic salt and
> >> kosher salt plus 2 Tbs of vinegar. Any thoughts appreciated.

> > I'd be inclined to add a drop dill oil, maybe some cayenne pepper.
> > SDT

> Or you could turn them into sweet dills by draining off the liquid and
> adding a bunch of sugar.

Thanks, Connie. I wonder if Splanda would work? My daughter likes sweet
gherkins, I like sour dills.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Don't you love waking up to the smell of bacon? Travis McGee General Cooking 0 06-03-2014 09:22 PM
Waking up Marty[_4_] General Cooking 1 18-04-2009 03:39 PM
Claussen Kosher Dills Bridgett General Cooking 39 09-06-2005 03:46 AM
Claussen Kosher Dills Sheldon Preserving 1 05-06-2005 12:27 AM
My kosher dills Biff General Cooking 12 19-08-2004 01:42 PM