Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Got the Bitters and need advice on Spring Onions.

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have a handy link for herbs that flavour up, flavour down, or go
bitter during canning? If not: I read that Sage goes bitter, Bay Leaf
intensifies. Does Garlic or Oregano go bitter? I made Pressure canned
bolognaise and it tasted horrible I must admit, I was very heavy handed on
the herbs.

My vegie patch has been going well, except for the things I really wanted!
Tomatoes, capsicums and Chillies. Its been overcast and rainey for days, we
had no real summer. I have 4 green Tom Thumb tomatoes...very sad. No oven
roastey tomato soup for me!

On the up side, I produced wonderful loads of Fresh peas. Ate my first peas
out of the pod. Dried a nice bagful too. Lovely spring onions, Small
potatoes, Rhubarb and have corn on the cobs. Dried, Mint, Oregano, Onion
and Mushrooms. I have mushrooms growing in bags, dried mushrooms are soo
tasty! At the moment I am canning stocks. (already made chicken) I have
Ham Stock cooling in the fridge to skim the fat off.

Thankyou to the person, who told me about freezing the Leeks. I love using
them. Should I dry the spring onions? Can. small bottles of them, or is it
best to freeze them? Love reading the putting it by post.

Freezing spring onions DavidW General Cooking 52 03-04-2018 08:22 PM
Bitters - (Snob Version) gtr General Cooking 41 11-06-2012 02:08 AM
Bitters - (Proletariat Version) gtr General Cooking 3 22-05-2012 04:58 PM
Got bitters? DC[_3_] General 2 16-01-2010 01:04 PM
onion leaves not spring onions john d hamilton General Cooking 13 23-09-2008 04:28 AM