Melba's Jammin'

Default Chipotles in a fruit relish

Follow-ups are going to r.f.preserving.

A billion questions:

I've got an ideer that I want to involve some chipotles. A fruit
relish. I bought a package at Byerly's. My plan is to re-hydrate one
(how hot are they?) Is that the right way, vs. chopping dry and
rehydrating in the cooking process? Do I want more than one for, say,
2-3 pints of finished relish and a mild-to-medium heat?) and then chop
in the food processor. Do I want to do it by hand instead? Do I want
the seeds in or out? Will they lose or gain any heat after they've
settled in from the processing process?

I await your counsel.
Jack, if you e-mail a reply, remember auto-reply address is munged.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-09-04; Sam I Am!.
WeBeJammin'
zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Follow-ups are going to r.f.preserving.
>
> A billion questions:
>
> I've got an ideer that I want to involve some chipotles. A fruit
> relish. I bought a package at Byerly's. My plan is to re-hydrate one
> (how hot are they?) Is that the right way, vs. chopping dry and
> rehydrating in the cooking process? Do I want more than one for, say,
> 2-3 pints of finished relish and a mild-to-medium heat?) and then chop
> in the food processor. Do I want to do it by hand instead? Do I want
> the seeds in or out? Will they lose or gain any heat after they've
> settled in from the processing process?
>
> I await your counsel.
> Jack, if you e-mail a reply, remember auto-reply address is munged.

I usually buy them canned, which you most certainly *dont* want for a
fruit relish (they are canned in barbecue sauce.) Chipotles are usually
quite hot -- like a good jalapeno, but the drying and smoking
concentrate the heat a bit.

Rehydrate whole, then remove the stems, and chop [chop the peppers, not
the stems]. Reserve the soaking water.

Start with one pepper per pint of relish, with the seeds, and see how
you like it. The seeds will add texture, and will help warn that the
stuff is hot. If you end up using a lot of peppers, you might want to
remove the seeds from some of them because too many seeds is distracting.

I use a lot of dried peppers, but have never used dried chipotles, so
it's not my fault if all the above is wrong, OK?

HTH, :-)
Bob
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, zxcvbob
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Follow-ups are going to r.f.preserving.
> >
> > A billion questions:
> >
> > I've got an ideer that I want to involve some chipotles. A fruit
> > relish. I bought a package at Byerly's. My plan is to re-hydrate one
> > (how hot are they?) Is that the right way, vs. chopping dry and
> > rehydrating in the cooking process? Do I want more than one for, say,
> > 2-3 pints of finished relish and a mild-to-medium heat?) and then chop
> > in the food processor. Do I want to do it by hand instead? Do I want
> > the seeds in or out? Will they lose or gain any heat after they've
> > settled in from the processing process?
> >
> > I await your counsel.

> Rehydrate whole, then remove the stems, and chop [chop the peppers, not
> the stems].

Right.

Reserve the soaking water.

Why?

> I use a lot of dried peppers, but have never used dried chipotles, so
> it's not my fault if all the above is wrong, OK?

Thanks.
No harm, no foul. (Nice disclaimer.)

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-09-04; Sam I Am!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

The Joneses

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Follow-ups are going to r.f.preserving.
> A billion questions:
> I've got an ideer that I want to involve some chipotles. A fruit
> relish. I bought a package at Byerly's. My plan is to re-hydrate one
> (how hot are they?) Is that the right way, vs. chopping dry and
> rehydrating in the cooking process? Do I want more than one for, say,
> 2-3 pints of finished relish and a mild-to-medium heat?) and then chop
> in the food processor. Do I want to do it by hand instead? Do I want
> the seeds in or out? Will they lose or gain any heat after they've
> settled in from the processing process?
>
> I await your counsel.
> Jack, if you e-mail a reply, remember auto-reply address is munged.
> -Barb

It is my experience that chipotle and chipotle powder can vary widely as to
heat and smoky taste. The last batch I bought, 1/2 teaspoon was plenty to
flavor a coupla cups of chicken marinade. It all depends of course on
whether the producer ground some of the seeds and/or rib membranes. The
ribs are where the best heat is. I've found that cooking various chiles in
jam required more chiles than I thought.
Your recipe sounds intriguing - you might want to toast the chipotle in a
frypan, then cover with boiling water to rehydrate, scrape meat away from
skin, add to relish. Will you be canning this concoction or making a
leetle fresh batch for dinner? I have been known to break up a stemmed
dried chile and sling it in the blender and whirl the dickens out of it and
use it skin and all. What sort of texture did you want? How about fresh
toasting some meatier fresh red jalepenyos for more meatier bits? Or just
using the fresh red jalepenyos? Have you tried using the canned chipotle in
adobe sauce? This stuff is warm to hot and is pretty meaty, the sauce is
salty and defintely savory, but you could wipe it off.
Edrena fixin' to go warm up some enchiladas for lunch.

zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, zxcvbob
> > wrote:
>

>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>>>Follow-ups are going to r.f.preserving.
>>>
>>>A billion questions:
>>>
>>>I've got an ideer that I want to involve some chipotles. A fruit
>>>relish. I bought a package at Byerly's. My plan is to re-hydrate one
>>>(how hot are they?) Is that the right way, vs. chopping dry and
>>>rehydrating in the cooking process? Do I want more than one for, say,
>>>2-3 pints of finished relish and a mild-to-medium heat?) and then chop
>>>in the food processor. Do I want to do it by hand instead? Do I want
>>>the seeds in or out? Will they lose or gain any heat after they've
>>>settled in from the processing process?
>>>
>>>I await your counsel.

>>Rehydrate whole, then remove the stems, and chop [chop the peppers, not
>>the stems].

> Right.
>
> Reserve the soaking water.
>
> Why?

Use it in place of water in your recipe, because some of the chipotle
flavor will leech [sic] into the soaking water when you rehydrate them.
Yeah, I know you probably don't add any water to the fruit when you
make relish, but don't use too much water when you soak the peppers,
then you can absorb the water into some raisins or turkish apricots or
something. Or just use it in a bloody mary or some chicken bouillon.

When I use dried peppers, I usually soak them in a little hot water,
destem and remove a lot of the seeds, then grind up the peppers and the
soaking water into a paste. From your original questions, that doesn't
sound like what you're after.

- Bob

Melba's Jammin'

In article t>, "Susan
Edkins" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > Follow-ups are going to r.f.preserving.

> Barb--
>
> Chipotles are smoked jalapenos, and the dried peppers are at about
> the same heat level as a fresh jalapeno (and I'm sure you know
> jalapenos can vary quite a bit in the heat department) although not
> quite as hot as the canned chipotles in adobo. I rehydrate dried
> chilies if I use them, but frankly, I like the canned chipotles
> (after rinsing off much of the adobo sauce) for their brighter color
> and (to me) sweeter flavor.

Now you tell me. "-)

> Regards,
> Susan

Thanks, Susan.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-09-04; Sam I Am!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Michael Odom

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:39:50 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Follow-ups are going to r.f.preserving.
>
>A billion questions:
>
>I've got an ideer that I want to involve some chipotles. A fruit
>relish. I bought a package at Byerly's. My plan is to re-hydrate one
>(how hot are they?) Is that the right way, vs. chopping dry and
>rehydrating in the cooking process? Do I want more than one for, say,
>2-3 pints of finished relish and a mild-to-medium heat?) and then chop
>in the food processor. Do I want to do it by hand instead? Do I want
>the seeds in or out? Will they lose or gain any heat after they've
>settled in from the processing process?
>
>I await your counsel.
>Jack, if you e-mail a reply, remember auto-reply address is munged.

Jack don't know merde. Or maybe he does.

Anyhow, in my experience dried chipotles are about as hot as the
jalapenos they're made from. But since they're dried, the capsaicin
is more concentrated, so a teaspoon of chipotle is hotter than an
equal amount of fresh jalapeno. I'm talking real jalapenos, here, not
those mild ones the chuckleheads down at A&M bred to make mild salsa
with.

I know of no "right way" to rehydrate them. Usually, I put a dried
chile into a stout water glass, splash in some water, zap it in the
microwave for 30 seconds or so and let it stand for half an hour. The
water gets spiked with chipotle flavor, but I usually add it to
whatever concoction I'm conjuring anyway. Your idea of rehydrating
the chile in the cooking process will probably work just fine, though.

Not giving much of a whit about seeds, I leave them in. But as far as
prize-winning texture goes, you may be happier with a seedless
product.

It's my experience that stuff cooked with dried chiles will taste a
bit hotter after it's sat around a day or so than they do fresh off
the stove.

Did you get the blonde or the red chipotles?

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
zxcvbob

Jack Schidt® wrote:

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message

[snip]
>>BTW, try using habanero peppers in a fruit relish sometime. They have a
>>fruity perfumey taste that goes well with fruit. Just be careful not to
>>use too much.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Bob

> I like habañeros too, just have trouble making things 'mild' with them.
>
> Jack Overboard

If you have a garden, try getting some seeds for "Trinidad Spice" or
"Granada Seasoning" peppers (or any of a dozen similar varieties.) They
look and smell and taste exactly like normal red or orange habaneros,
but without any heat. My brother grows them. At first I thought "why
bother?", then I realized you could use several of them in a recipe to
get the desired taste, then use 1/2 or less of a real habanero to adjust
the heat.

BTW, one of his mild C. chinenese peppers crossed with a jalapeño, and a
resulting volunteer seedling has fruit that look just like a jalapeño,
but the plant has the form of a habanero (large leaves, fruit borne in
clusters) and the peppers are extraordinarily hot -- perhaps hotter than
a real habanero, with thick walls and very few seeds.

-Bob
George Shirley

Jack Schidt® wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>>Oh, sorry. I put most of the gory details on my webpage. Not fair to
>>>make you look there. Here's what I wrote the
>>>

>>[snip]
>>
>>You gotta tell us it's on the web page! (Some of us aren't bright enough
>>to look there first before asking for details)
>>
>>BTW, try using habanero peppers in a fruit relish sometime. They have a
>>fruity perfumey taste that goes well with fruit. Just be careful not to
>>use too much.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Bob

> I like habañeros too, just have trouble making things 'mild' with them.
>
> Jack Overboard

Ask Barb sometime about a bottle of hab hot sauce I sent her. IIRC her
comment on being asked how it was was "we opened the bottle and heated
the house with it all winter."

George

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Jack
Schidt®" > wrote:

> I like habañeros too, just have trouble making things 'mild' with them.
>
> Jack Overboard

Habaneros. No ñ. From la ciudad de Habana. En Cuba.
-Barb Nit
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-09-04; Sam I Am!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Jack Schidt®

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Jack Schidt® wrote:
>
>> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>>

> [snip]
>>>BTW, try using habanero peppers in a fruit relish sometime. They have a
>>>fruity perfumey taste that goes well with fruit. Just be careful not to
>>>use too much.
>>>
>>>Best regards,
>>>Bob

>> I like habañeros too, just have trouble making things 'mild' with them.
>>
>> Jack Overboard

> If you have a garden, try getting some seeds for "Trinidad Spice" or
> "Granada Seasoning" peppers (or any of a dozen similar varieties.) They
> look and smell and taste exactly like normal red or orange habaneros, but
> without any heat. My brother grows them. At first I thought "why
> bother?", then I realized you could use several of them in a recipe to get
> the desired taste, then use 1/2 or less of a real habanero to adjust the
> heat.
>
> BTW, one of his mild C. chinenese peppers crossed with a jalapeño, and a
> resulting volunteer seedling has fruit that look just like a jalapeño, but
> the plant has the form of a habanero (large leaves, fruit borne in
> clusters) and the peppers are extraordinarily hot -- perhaps hotter than a
> real habanero, with thick walls and very few seeds.
>
> -Bob

Sounds good. The habañero tastes really good; Melinda's hot sauce blends
them with carrots (among other things) and the resulting flavor is kickass.

Jack Kickass

Jack Schidt®

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Jack
> Schidt®" > wrote:
>
>> I like habañeros too, just have trouble making things 'mild' with them.
>>
>> Jack Overboard

> Habaneros. No ñ. From la ciudad de Habana. En Cuba.
> -Barb Nit
> --

I get that thiñg oñ my keyboard and I doñ't kñow wheñ to stop!!

Jack OverTilde