brycin

Default muscadine jelly not jelled

When my first batch of muscadines came in my sis-in-law said she wanted
jelly. Having never made it, I searched the web for recipes. They all
were pretty much the same. I made it today and it didn't jell. I put a
quarter cup in the fridge and it is still liquid after 10 hours. Not sure
what I did wrong. The recipe I used was at
www.jelleyjar.com/kitchen/muscadine. I only had 1 packet of pectin,
however. Since most recipes didn't call for any I thought that would do.
Obviously I am new to jelly making. Is it too late to fix it? Do I have
grape juice instead?

Melba's Jammin'

In article
outcooking.com>,
"brycin" > wrote:

> When my first batch of muscadines came in my sis-in-law said she wanted
> jelly. Having never made it, I searched the web for recipes. They all
> were pretty much the same. I made it today and it didn't jell. I put a
> quarter cup in the fridge and it is still liquid after 10 hours. Not sure
> what I did wrong. The recipe I used was at
> www.jelleyjar.com/kitchen/muscadine. I only had 1 packet of pectin,
> however. Since most recipes didn't call for any I thought that would do.
> Obviously I am new to jelly making. Is it too late to fix it? Do I have
> grape juice instead?

That's a pretty poor rendering of a recipe, IMO.
- It doesn't look like enough sugar for the amount of juice you might
get (an unspecified amount at that)
- It doesn't say what kind of pectin to use (liquid or powder)
- The pectin is never mentioned in the cooking method as to when it's
used
- You didn't follow the recipe - the amount of pectin is important --
but I still don't know what kind you were supposed to have used.

Contact the website owner and see what he/she has to say about it.

And/or look up re-make instructions at the NCHFP site. Information is
there.
<http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/>

Sorry I'm not more encouraging.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Melba's Jammin'

In article
outcooking.com>,
"brycin" > wrote:

> When my first batch of muscadines came in my sis-in-law said she wanted
> jelly. Having never made it, I searched the web for recipes. They all
> were pretty much the same. I made it today and it didn't jell. I put a
> quarter cup in the fridge and it is still liquid after 10 hours. Not sure
> what I did wrong. The recipe I used was at
> www.jelleyjar.com/kitchen/muscadine. I only had 1 packet of pectin,
> however. Since most recipes didn't call for any I thought that would do.
> Obviously I am new to jelly making. Is it too late to fix it? Do I have
> grape juice instead?

That's a pretty poor rendering of a recipe, IMO.
- It doesn't look like enough sugar for the amount of juice you might
get (an unspecified amount at that)
- It doesn't say what kind of pectin to use (liquid or powder)
- The pectin is never mentioned in the cooking method as to when it's
used
- You didn't follow the recipe - the amount of pectin is important --
but I still don't know what kind you were supposed to have used.

Contact the website owner and see what he/she has to say about it.

And/or look up re-make instructions at the NCHFP site. Information is
there.
<http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/>

Sorry I'm not more encouraging.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

The Cook

"brycin" > wrote:

>When my first batch of muscadines came in my sis-in-law said she wanted
>jelly. Having never made it, I searched the web for recipes. They all
>were pretty much the same. I made it today and it didn't jell. I put a
>quarter cup in the fridge and it is still liquid after 10 hours. Not sure
>what I did wrong. The recipe I used was at
>www.jelleyjar.com/kitchen/muscadine. I only had 1 packet of pectin,
>however. Since most recipes didn't call for any I thought that would do.
>Obviously I am new to jelly making. Is it too late to fix it? Do I have
>grape juice instead?

The recipe does not look correct. No mention is made of the kind of
pectin to use, liquid or powder, and the process is different for
each. Then the instructions say to cook to 220°F (if at sea level)
and then add pectin. You either cook to 220° or you use the pectin.,
unless she is using something other that Certo, Sure-Jel or Ball
pectins.

Best idea is to buy either kind of pectin that is easiest to find and
follow the instructions to the letter. I still read the instruction
even if I have made the same jelly a dozen times before.

Make sure that you have everything you need ready, measured or clean.
I will read the instruction and sort of walk myself through each step
to make sure I understand it and I have the right equipment. Then get
everyone out of the kitchen (out of the house is even better) take the
phone off the hook and go to the bathroom. Once the process with
pectin starts there is no time to do anything else.

Try it again and good luck.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
William R. Watt

generally grapes contain enough acid and pectin to make jelly without
adding anything but sugar. (I add sour apple juice to wild grape juice for
a bit of extra acid and pectin, but no commercial pectin.) The grape juice
and sugar combination has to be heated sufficiently for the liquid to jell
when it cools. If you have a candy thermometer it should read 220 deg
F before pouing into the jar. if you don't have a candy thermometer lift
the metal stirring spoon well out of the liquid on its side so the liquid
is draining off, and when it drains off initially in two places instead of
just one, then pour the liquid into the jar. It should jell.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

The Cook

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

>In article
boutcooking.com>,
>"brycin" > wrote:
>
>> When my first batch of muscadines came in my sis-in-law said she wanted
>> jelly. Having never made it, I searched the web for recipes. They all
>> were pretty much the same. I made it today and it didn't jell. I put a
>> quarter cup in the fridge and it is still liquid after 10 hours. Not sure
>> what I did wrong. The recipe I used was at
>> www.jelleyjar.com/kitchen/muscadine. I only had 1 packet of pectin,
>> however. Since most recipes didn't call for any I thought that would do.
>> Obviously I am new to jelly making. Is it too late to fix it? Do I have
>> grape juice instead?

>That's a pretty poor rendering of a recipe, IMO.
>- It doesn't look like enough sugar for the amount of juice you might
>get (an unspecified amount at that)
>- It doesn't say what kind of pectin to use (liquid or powder)
>- The pectin is never mentioned in the cooking method as to when it's
>used
>- You didn't follow the recipe - the amount of pectin is important --
>but I still don't know what kind you were supposed to have used.
>
>Contact the website owner and see what he/she has to say about it.
>
>And/or look up re-make instructions at the NCHFP site. Information is
>there.
><http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/>
>
>Sorry I'm not more encouraging.

Glad to see that the "Queen of Jams and Jellies" agreed with my
evaluation. I checked the Web site and found no address of any kind
on it. If anyone else finds an address, let me know.

I am going looking for something to make jam or jelly with using
Pomona's Universal Pectin. Looks like interesting stuff.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
The Cook

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

>In article
boutcooking.com>,
>"brycin" > wrote:
>
>> When my first batch of muscadines came in my sis-in-law said she wanted
>> jelly. Having never made it, I searched the web for recipes. They all
>> were pretty much the same. I made it today and it didn't jell. I put a
>> quarter cup in the fridge and it is still liquid after 10 hours. Not sure
>> what I did wrong. The recipe I used was at
>> www.jelleyjar.com/kitchen/muscadine. I only had 1 packet of pectin,
>> however. Since most recipes didn't call for any I thought that would do.
>> Obviously I am new to jelly making. Is it too late to fix it? Do I have
>> grape juice instead?

>That's a pretty poor rendering of a recipe, IMO.
>- It doesn't look like enough sugar for the amount of juice you might
>get (an unspecified amount at that)
>- It doesn't say what kind of pectin to use (liquid or powder)
>- The pectin is never mentioned in the cooking method as to when it's
>used
>- You didn't follow the recipe - the amount of pectin is important --
>but I still don't know what kind you were supposed to have used.
>
>Contact the website owner and see what he/she has to say about it.
>
>And/or look up re-make instructions at the NCHFP site. Information is
>there.
><http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/>
>
>Sorry I'm not more encouraging.

Glad to see that the "Queen of Jams and Jellies" agreed with my
evaluation. I checked the Web site and found no address of any kind
on it. If anyone else finds an address, let me know.

I am going looking for something to make jam or jelly with using
Pomona's Universal Pectin. Looks like interesting stuff.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
The Cook

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

>In article
boutcooking.com>,
>"brycin" > wrote:
>
>> When my first batch of muscadines came in my sis-in-law said she wanted
>> jelly. Having never made it, I searched the web for recipes. They all
>> were pretty much the same. I made it today and it didn't jell. I put a
>> quarter cup in the fridge and it is still liquid after 10 hours. Not sure
>> what I did wrong. The recipe I used was at
>> www.jelleyjar.com/kitchen/muscadine. I only had 1 packet of pectin,
>> however. Since most recipes didn't call for any I thought that would do.
>> Obviously I am new to jelly making. Is it too late to fix it? Do I have
>> grape juice instead?

>That's a pretty poor rendering of a recipe, IMO.
>- It doesn't look like enough sugar for the amount of juice you might
>get (an unspecified amount at that)
>- It doesn't say what kind of pectin to use (liquid or powder)
>- The pectin is never mentioned in the cooking method as to when it's
>used
>- You didn't follow the recipe - the amount of pectin is important --
>but I still don't know what kind you were supposed to have used.
>
>Contact the website owner and see what he/she has to say about it.
>
>And/or look up re-make instructions at the NCHFP site. Information is
>there.
><http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/>
>
>Sorry I'm not more encouraging.

Glad to see that the "Queen of Jams and Jellies" agreed with my
evaluation. I checked the Web site and found no address of any kind
on it. If anyone else finds an address, let me know.

I am going looking for something to make jam or jelly with using
Pomona's Universal Pectin. Looks like interesting stuff.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> >In article
> boutcooking.com>,
> >"brycin" > wrote:
> >
> >> When my first batch of muscadines came in my sis-in-law said she
> >> wanted jelly. Having never made it, I searched the web for
> >> recipes. They all were pretty much the same. I made it today and
> >> it didn't jell. I put a quarter cup in the fridge and it is still
> >> liquid after 10 hours. Not sure what I did wrong. The recipe I
> >> used was at
www.jelleyjar.com/kitchen/muscadine. I only had 1
> >> packet of pectin, however. Since most recipes didn't call for any
> >> I thought that would do. Obviously I am new to jelly making. Is
> >> it too late to fix it? Do I have grape juice instead?

> >That's a pretty poor rendering of a recipe, IMO. - It doesn't look
> >like enough sugar for the amount of juice you might get (an
> >unspecified amount at that) - It doesn't say what kind of pectin to
> >use (liquid or powder) - The pectin is never mentioned in the
> >cooking method as to when it's used - You didn't follow the recipe -
> >the amount of pectin is important -- but I still don't know what
> >kind you were supposed to have used.
> >
> >Contact the website owner and see what he/she has to say about it.
> >
> >And/or look up re-make instructions at the NCHFP site. Information
> >is there. <http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/>
> >
> >Sorry I'm not more encouraging.

> Glad to see that the "Queen of Jams and Jellies" agreed with my
> evaluation. I checked the Web site and found no address of any kind
> on it. If anyone else finds an address, let me know.
>
> I am going looking for something to make jam or jelly with using
> Pomona's Universal Pectin. Looks like interesting stuff.

:-) Hey, I'm glad *you* agreed with *me*. I noticed there's no
mention of actually using the pectin in that recipe. Ugh, ugh, ugh!
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> >In article
> boutcooking.com>,
> >"brycin" > wrote:
> >
> >> When my first batch of muscadines came in my sis-in-law said she
> >> wanted jelly. Having never made it, I searched the web for
> >> recipes. They all were pretty much the same. I made it today and
> >> it didn't jell. I put a quarter cup in the fridge and it is still
> >> liquid after 10 hours. Not sure what I did wrong. The recipe I
> >> used was at
www.jelleyjar.com/kitchen/muscadine. I only had 1
> >> packet of pectin, however. Since most recipes didn't call for any
> >> I thought that would do. Obviously I am new to jelly making. Is
> >> it too late to fix it? Do I have grape juice instead?

> >That's a pretty poor rendering of a recipe, IMO. - It doesn't look
> >like enough sugar for the amount of juice you might get (an
> >unspecified amount at that) - It doesn't say what kind of pectin to
> >use (liquid or powder) - The pectin is never mentioned in the
> >cooking method as to when it's used - You didn't follow the recipe -
> >the amount of pectin is important -- but I still don't know what
> >kind you were supposed to have used.
> >
> >Contact the website owner and see what he/she has to say about it.
> >
> >And/or look up re-make instructions at the NCHFP site. Information
> >is there. <http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/>
> >
> >Sorry I'm not more encouraging.

> Glad to see that the "Queen of Jams and Jellies" agreed with my
> evaluation. I checked the Web site and found no address of any kind
> on it. If anyone else finds an address, let me know.
>
> I am going looking for something to make jam or jelly with using
> Pomona's Universal Pectin. Looks like interesting stuff.

:-) Hey, I'm glad *you* agreed with *me*. I noticed there's no
mention of actually using the pectin in that recipe. Ugh, ugh, ugh!
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> >In article
> boutcooking.com>,
> >"brycin" > wrote:
> >
> >> When my first batch of muscadines came in my sis-in-law said she
> >> wanted jelly. Having never made it, I searched the web for
> >> recipes. They all were pretty much the same. I made it today and
> >> it didn't jell. I put a quarter cup in the fridge and it is still
> >> liquid after 10 hours. Not sure what I did wrong. The recipe I
> >> used was at
www.jelleyjar.com/kitchen/muscadine. I only had 1
> >> packet of pectin, however. Since most recipes didn't call for any
> >> I thought that would do. Obviously I am new to jelly making. Is
> >> it too late to fix it? Do I have grape juice instead?

> >That's a pretty poor rendering of a recipe, IMO. - It doesn't look
> >like enough sugar for the amount of juice you might get (an
> >unspecified amount at that) - It doesn't say what kind of pectin to
> >use (liquid or powder) - The pectin is never mentioned in the
> >cooking method as to when it's used - You didn't follow the recipe -
> >the amount of pectin is important -- but I still don't know what
> >kind you were supposed to have used.
> >
> >Contact the website owner and see what he/she has to say about it.
> >
> >And/or look up re-make instructions at the NCHFP site. Information
> >is there. <http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/>
> >
> >Sorry I'm not more encouraging.

> Glad to see that the "Queen of Jams and Jellies" agreed with my
> evaluation. I checked the Web site and found no address of any kind
> on it. If anyone else finds an address, let me know.
>
> I am going looking for something to make jam or jelly with using
> Pomona's Universal Pectin. Looks like interesting stuff.

:-) Hey, I'm glad *you* agreed with *me*. I noticed there's no
mention of actually using the pectin in that recipe. Ugh, ugh, ugh!
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

zxcvbob

The Cook wrote:

> "brycin" > wrote:
>

>>When my first batch of muscadines came in my sis-in-law said she wanted
>>jelly. Having never made it, I searched the web for recipes. They all
>>were pretty much the same. I made it today and it didn't jell. I put a
>>quarter cup in the fridge and it is still liquid after 10 hours. Not sure
>>what I did wrong. The recipe I used was at
>>www.jelleyjar.com/kitchen/muscadine. I only had 1 packet of pectin,
>>however. Since most recipes didn't call for any I thought that would do.
>>Obviously I am new to jelly making. Is it too late to fix it? Do I have
>>grape juice instead?

> The recipe does not look correct. No mention is made of the kind of
> pectin to use, liquid or powder, and the process is different for
> each. Then the instructions say to cook to 220°F (if at sea level)
> and then add pectin. You either cook to 220° or you use the pectin.,
> unless she is using something other that Certo, Sure-Jel or Ball
> pectins.
>
> Best idea is to buy either kind of pectin that is easiest to find and
> follow the instructions to the letter. I still read the instruction
> even if I have made the same jelly a dozen times before.
>
> Make sure that you have everything you need ready, measured or clean.
> I will read the instruction and sort of walk myself through each step
> to make sure I understand it and I have the right equipment. Then get
> everyone out of the kitchen (out of the house is even better) take the
> phone off the hook and go to the bathroom. Once the process with
> pectin starts there is no time to do anything else.
>
> Try it again and good luck.

I've noticed that the recipe is no longer on the site.

Bob
The Cook

zxcvbob > wrote:

>The Cook wrote:
>
>> "brycin" > wrote:
>>

>>>When my first batch of muscadines came in my sis-in-law said she wanted
>>>jelly. Having never made it, I searched the web for recipes. They all
>>>were pretty much the same. I made it today and it didn't jell. I put a
>>>quarter cup in the fridge and it is still liquid after 10 hours. Not sure
>>>what I did wrong. The recipe I used was at
>>>www.jelleyjar.com/kitchen/muscadine. I only had 1 packet of pectin,
>>>however. Since most recipes didn't call for any I thought that would do.
>>>Obviously I am new to jelly making. Is it too late to fix it? Do I have
>>>grape juice instead?

>> The recipe does not look correct. No mention is made of the kind of
>> pectin to use, liquid or powder, and the process is different for
>> each. Then the instructions say to cook to 220°F (if at sea level)
>> and then add pectin. You either cook to 220° or you use the pectin.,
>> unless she is using something other that Certo, Sure-Jel or Ball
>> pectins.
>>
>> Best idea is to buy either kind of pectin that is easiest to find and
>> follow the instructions to the letter. I still read the instruction
>> even if I have made the same jelly a dozen times before.
>>
>> Make sure that you have everything you need ready, measured or clean.
>> I will read the instruction and sort of walk myself through each step
>> to make sure I understand it and I have the right equipment. Then get
>> everyone out of the kitchen (out of the house is even better) take the
>> phone off the hook and go to the bathroom. Once the process with
>> pectin starts there is no time to do anything else.
>>
>> Try it again and good luck.

>I've noticed that the recipe is no longer on the site.
>
>Bob

The recipe is still there, but not on that page. Here is a copy just
for grins and giggles as an example of a terribly inaccurate recipe.

Muscadine Jelly -- Makes 8 - 10 pints

4 quarts ripe Muscadine grapes
2 2/3 cups sugar
2 pkg. of pectin

Take off the stems and wash Muscadines in a large pot. Rinse several
times. Then mash the Muscadines and fill pot with water just about 2
inches covering over them.

Simmer for 25 minutes. Pour the juice into another pot through a
colander to catch the seeds and skins. Strain through cheesecloth back
into the original pot. Heat to boiling. Boil juice for 5 minutes and
then add the sugar.

Turn down heat to a simmer and cook until it reaches 220 degrees on a
candy thermometer. This took me around 30 minutes. The directions on
the pectin will tell you how to test it by letting the juice sheet
from a cold spoon. I was not sure what this looked like so I put mine
in a spoon in the fridge to cool. It jelled!! Not firm, but that is
OK, it will firm up later.

Skim off the foam. I had my jelly jars already washed and sterilized
in another pot filled with hot water. You should sterilize jelly
containers in boiling water for 10 minutes before using them. Then
keep the containers hot in hot water until you use them. This will
keep them from breaking when you fill them with hot jelly. In another
small pot there was the lids and seals in hot water. Pour the juice
into the jars with a funnel. Put the seals and then the lids on. I
wiped the edges of the jar tops with a damp, hot paper towel.

Process your jelly for 15 minutes in boiling water. Allow 2 to 4
inches of water above jar tops for brisk boiling - just enough for the
water to cover the tops of jars and have space to boil freely. Then
carefully remove the jars and place them on a towel out of a draft. By
the morning you will have lots of wonderful Muscadine Jelly to share
with family and friends. Yummy!!

------------------------------------

4 quarts of grapes (1 gallon) weighs 7 pounds. (I just picked a
gallon in a local vineyard.) The BBB says to use 3 1/2 pounds of
grapes and 1/2 cup water to get 4 cups of juice. 3 cups of sugar for
the no added pectin recipe.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
The Cook

zxcvbob > wrote:

> [...]

Process your jelly for 15 minutes in boiling water. Allow 2 to 4
inches of water above jar tops for brisk boiling - just enough for the
water to cover the tops of jars and have space to boil freely. Then
carefully remove the jars and place them on a towel out of a draft. By
the morning you will have lots of wonderful Muscadine Jelly to share
with family and friends. Yummy!!

------------------------------------

4 quarts of grapes (1 gallon) weighs 7 pounds. (I just picked a
gallon in a local vineyard.) The BBB says to use 3 1/2 pounds of
grapes and 1/2 cup water to get 4 cups of juice. 3 cups of sugar for
the no added pectin recipe.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
William R. Watt

Melba's Jammin' ) writes:

> Thanks, Susan. I couldn't bring myself to post it. :-)

Interesting how the computer inserts a signaure at the end making "Susan"
appear to be the author of the recipe.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
William R. Watt

Melba's Jammin' ) writes:

> Thanks, Susan. I couldn't bring myself to post it. :-)

Interesting how the computer inserts a signaure at the end making "Susan"
appear to be the author of the recipe.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
brycin

Hi all. I re-boiled the juice and the temp got up to 121. Returned it to
jars, which sealed, and same thing. Still have juice. I bought pectin
and I am going to try one more time with the pectin. If it doesn't work I
am making pancakes this weekend and we will have muscadine syrup.

George Shirley

brycin wrote:
> Hi all. I re-boiled the juice and the temp got up to 121. Returned it to
> jars, which sealed, and same thing. Still have juice. I bought pectin
> and I am going to try one more time with the pectin. If it doesn't work I
> am making pancakes this weekend and we will have muscadine syrup.

Jelling temperature, IIRC, is 222F. Muscadines generally have enough
pectin to ensure jelling but if they are very overripe, maybe not.

George

It jelled! Gloria P General Cooking 8 04-01-2009 02:35 AM
Scuppernong or Muscadine Jelly Chris[_20_] Recipes (moderated) 0 04-02-2008 01:17 AM
Muscadine jelly George Shirley Preserving 4 01-09-2007 01:36 PM
Tart Muscadine bwesley8 Winemaking 1 03-06-2006 07:56 PM
Muscadine Second-Run bwesley8 Winemaking 2 19-09-2005 06:42 PM