William R. Watt

Default what to do with cranberry pulp?

Looking for ideas on what to do with a couple of cups of higbush
cranberry (viburnum) pulp. The juice has been strained off to make
jelly, then the pulp has been separated from the seeds and skins.

I am wondering how to determine how much water to add in a recipe calling
for whole fruit (less seeds), say a meat sauce or a cranberry cake. I have
a book on eating wild plants with an interesting recipe for
cranberry-and-pecan cake in which I could substitute butternuts.

The cranberry seeds were subsequently separated from the skins and
dried, and are now being planted along the creek and river so
there might be more berries some day. The half dozen bushes by the
creek are the only ones I've seen.

These bushes were spotted across the creek in summer. I crossed the creek
and determined it was viburum from the shape of the leaves and seed. I had
gathered black vibirnum berries (aka English raisins) previously. I watched
all summer for these berries across the creek to turn black but they
stayed red. Finally in September I crossed the creek and found that they
were going soft and starting to shrivel, so brought some home. A book at the
public library pointed out that a red variety is "high bush cranberry".
I also learned that the fur traders who ate them called them "pembina", a
word which appears in place names on the map of Canada.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Gary S.

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:41:19 GMT, The Joneses >
wrote:

>We've been talking on another thread about marmelade - how about orange
>cranberry marmelade? Sounds pretty. Flinging a cup of cranberries in the
>mix oughta do it. I've also seen commercial cranberry juice combinations
>that would do well - cran/grape, cran/rasberry, cran/cherry (with almond
>flavor?). Never tried this, brainstorming only. Need more espresso.
>Edrena

I can't speak to marmalade, but I enjoy drinking a mix of cranberry
juice cocktail and orange juice, 50/50 or so. The color is weird, but
it tastes quite good.

I have not seen this mix commercially, but the storage requirements
for cran and for OJ are quite different.

The various sweet flavors of other fruits play off the tart cranberry
taste rather well.

Note that concentrated cranberry juice is quite acidic.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Gary S.

wrote:

>We've been talking on another thread about marmelade - how about orange
>cranberry marmelade? Sounds pretty. Flinging a cup of cranberries in the
>mix oughta do it. I've also seen commercial cranberry juice combinations
>that would do well - cran/grape, cran/rasberry, cran/cherry (with almond
>flavor?). Never tried this, brainstorming only. Need more espresso.
>Edrena

I can't speak to marmalade, but I enjoy drinking a mix of cranberry
juice cocktail and orange juice, 50/50 or so. The color is weird, but
it tastes quite good.

I have not seen this mix commercially, but the storage requirements
for cran and for OJ are quite different.

The various sweet flavors of other fruits play off the tart cranberry
taste rather well.

Note that concentrated cranberry juice is quite acidic.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Wayne

Gary S. <Idontwantspam@net> wrote in
:

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:41:19 GMT, The Joneses >
> wrote:
>
>>We've been talking on another thread about marmelade - how about
>>orange cranberry marmelade? Sounds pretty. Flinging a cup of
>>cranberries in the mix oughta do it. I've also seen commercial
>>cranberry juice combinations that would do well - cran/grape,
>>cran/rasberry, cran/cherry (with almond flavor?). Never tried this,
>>brainstorming only. Need more espresso. Edrena
>>

> I can't speak to marmalade, but I enjoy drinking a mix of cranberry
> juice cocktail and orange juice, 50/50 or so. The color is weird, but
> it tastes quite good.
>
> I have not seen this mix commercially, but the storage requirements
> for cran and for OJ are quite different.

Why is that? They sell both canned/bottled cranberry and orange juices
separately. Why not combined in one juice? Not all orange juice is sold
refrigerated or frozen.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

Gary S. <Idontwantspam@net> wrote in
:

> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 15:41:19 GMT, The Joneses >
> wrote:
>
>>We've been talking on another thread about marmelade - how about
>>orange cranberry marmelade? Sounds pretty. Flinging a cup of
>>cranberries in the mix oughta do it. I've also seen commercial
>>cranberry juice combinations that would do well - cran/grape,
>>cran/rasberry, cran/cherry (with almond flavor?). Never tried this,
>>brainstorming only. Need more espresso. Edrena
>>

> I can't speak to marmalade, but I enjoy drinking a mix of cranberry
> juice cocktail and orange juice, 50/50 or so. The color is weird, but
> it tastes quite good.
>
> I have not seen this mix commercially, but the storage requirements
> for cran and for OJ are quite different.

Why is that? They sell both canned/bottled cranberry and orange juices
separately. Why not combined in one juice? Not all orange juice is sold
refrigerated or frozen.

> The various sweet flavors of other fruits play off the tart cranberry
> taste rather well.
>
> Note that concentrated cranberry juice is quite acidic.
>
> Happy trails,
> Gary (net.yogi.bear)
> at the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence
>
> Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
> Please reply to: garyDOTschwartzATpoboxDOTcom

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
William R. Watt

Apprecaite the suggestions. They've also given me some ideas for jelly
combinations.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

William R. Watt

Apprecaite the suggestions. They've also given me some ideas for jelly
combinations.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
William R. Watt