Brian Mailman

Default Pickle Fresh

I got a spam from homecanning.com (I never signed up for any kind of
newsletter) but it seems Ball has a new product called Pickle Fresh that
does away with the need for pickling lime. I clicked on the "more info"
button but it took me to a different part of the site and I'm too lazy
to go searching.

Anybody know about this and/or use it?

B/
zxcvbob

Brian Mailman wrote:
> I got a spam from homecanning.com (I never signed up for any kind of
> newsletter) but it seems Ball has a new product called Pickle Fresh that
> does away with the need for pickling lime. I clicked on the "more info"
> button but it took me to a different part of the site and I'm too lazy
> to go searching.
>
> Anybody know about this and/or use it?
>
> B/

http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ALProducts.asp?P=2615

I assume it's expensive premeasured calcium chloride packets, or maybe
calcium acetate.

Bob
zxcvbob

Brian Mailman wrote:
> I got a spam from homecanning.com (I never signed up for any kind of
> newsletter) but it seems Ball has a new product called Pickle Fresh that
> does away with the need for pickling lime. I clicked on the "more info"
> button but it took me to a different part of the site and I'm too lazy
> to go searching.
>
> Anybody know about this and/or use it?
>
> B/

http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ALProducts.asp?P=2615

I assume it's expensive premeasured calcium chloride packets, or maybe
calcium acetate.

Bob
The Joneses

Default Pickle Illumination, Was Pickle Fresh

zxcvbob wrote:

> Brian Mailman wrote:
> > I got a spam from homecanning.com (I never signed up for any kind of
> > newsletter) but it seems Ball has a new product called Pickle Fresh that
> > does away with the need for pickling lime. I clicked on the "more info"
> > button but it took me to a different part of the site and I'm too lazy
> > to go searching.
> >
> > Anybody know about this and/or use it?
> >
> > B/

> http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ALProducts.asp?P=2615
>
> I assume it's expensive premeasured calcium chloride packets, or maybe
> calcium acetate.
>
> Bob

Can't help ya, but whilst I was fooling around I found this Pickle
Illumination Research. it's a hoot.

http://www.research.compaq.com/wrl/t...ts/html/TN-13/

Edrena

zxcvbob

The Joneses wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>

>>Brian Mailman wrote:
>>
>>>I got a spam from homecanning.com (I never signed up for any kind of
>>>newsletter) but it seems Ball has a new product called Pickle Fresh that
>>>does away with the need for pickling lime. I clicked on the "more info"
>>>button but it took me to a different part of the site and I'm too lazy
>>>to go searching.
>>>
>>>Anybody know about this and/or use it?
>>>
>>>B/

>>http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ALProducts.asp?P=2615
>>
>>I assume it's expensive premeasured calcium chloride packets, or maybe
>>calcium acetate.
>>
>>Bob

> Can't help ya, but whilst I was fooling around I found this Pickle
> Illumination Research. it's a hoot.
>
> http://www.research.compaq.com/wrl/t...ts/html/TN-13/
>
> Edrena

Thanks. I hadn't seen that in a while, and forgot about it. I really
like the "References" section.

Bob

The Joneses

zxcvbob wrote:

> Brian Mailman wrote:
> > I got a spam from homecanning.com (I never signed up for any kind of
> > newsletter) but it seems Ball has a new product called Pickle Fresh that
> > does away with the need for pickling lime. I clicked on the "more info"
> > button but it took me to a different part of the site and I'm too lazy
> > to go searching.
> > Anybody know about this and/or use it?

> http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ALProducts.asp?P=2615
>
> I assume it's expensive premeasured calcium chloride packets, or maybe
> calcium acetate.

And here's a few things about calcium chloride:

the best site: http://www.nofish.org/New_Folder/Calcium_Chloride.pdf
(I couldn't copy any quotes cause it's PDF but it addresses "briners")

http://us.shop.com/amos/cc/main/cata.../adtg/07120441
This ad says Pickle Fresh is calcium chloride

http://www.diseasesdatabase.com/umls...erChoice=30219
"A salt used to replenish calcium levels, as an acid-producing diuretic, and
as an antidote for magnesium poisoning."

http://www.kpemsc.org/pharm/calcium.html
Class: Electrolyte
Calcium is an essential component for functional integrity of the nervous and
muscular systems, normal cardiac contractility, and the coagulation of blood.

http://www.peterschemical.com/Calcium%20Chloride.htm
Industrial uses in concrete, roads, & stuff
"Effect on vegetation: Used as recommended, will not harm vegetation. Calcium
Chloride is used as a calcium source for certain fruits and vegetables."

Wish me luck on the fig pile.
Edrena

The Joneses

zxcvbob wrote:

> Brian Mailman wrote:
> > I got a spam from homecanning.com (I never signed up for any kind of
> > newsletter) but it seems Ball has a new product called Pickle Fresh that
> > does away with the need for pickling lime. I clicked on the "more info"
> > button but it took me to a different part of the site and I'm too lazy
> > to go searching.
> > Anybody know about this and/or use it?

> http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ALProducts.asp?P=2615
>
> I assume it's expensive premeasured calcium chloride packets, or maybe
> calcium acetate.

And here's a few things about calcium chloride:

the best site: http://www.nofish.org/New_Folder/Calcium_Chloride.pdf
(I couldn't copy any quotes cause it's PDF but it addresses "briners")

http://us.shop.com/amos/cc/main/cata.../adtg/07120441
This ad says Pickle Fresh is calcium chloride

http://www.diseasesdatabase.com/umls...erChoice=30219
"A salt used to replenish calcium levels, as an acid-producing diuretic, and
as an antidote for magnesium poisoning."

http://www.kpemsc.org/pharm/calcium.html
Class: Electrolyte
Calcium is an essential component for functional integrity of the nervous and
muscular systems, normal cardiac contractility, and the coagulation of blood.

http://www.peterschemical.com/Calcium%20Chloride.htm
Industrial uses in concrete, roads, & stuff
"Effect on vegetation: Used as recommended, will not harm vegetation. Calcium
Chloride is used as a calcium source for certain fruits and vegetables."

Wish me luck on the fig pile.
Edrena

The Joneses

zxcvbob wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
> > zxcvbob wrote:

> >>http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ALProducts.asp?P=2615
> >>
> >>I assume it's expensive premeasured calcium chloride packets, or maybe
> >>calcium acetate.
> >>
> >>Bob

> > Can't help ya, but whilst I was fooling around I found this Pickle
> > Illumination Research. it's a hoot.
> >
> > http://www.research.compaq.com/wrl/t...ts/html/TN-13/
> >
> > Edrena
> > >

> Thanks. I hadn't seen that in a while, and forgot about it. I really
> like the "References" section.
>
> Bob

I was impressed with the "taste test" after the illumination experiment. The
Kosher and dill were not materially affected. heheh
Edrena

zxcvbob

The Joneses wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>

>>Brian Mailman wrote:
>>
>>>I got a spam from homecanning.com (I never signed up for any kind of
>>>newsletter) but it seems Ball has a new product called Pickle Fresh that
>>>does away with the need for pickling lime. I clicked on the "more info"
>>>button but it took me to a different part of the site and I'm too lazy
>>>to go searching.
>>>Anybody know about this and/or use it?

>>http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ALProducts.asp?P=2615
>>
>>I assume it's expensive premeasured calcium chloride packets, or maybe
>>calcium acetate.

> And here's a few things about calcium chloride:
>
> the best site: http://www.nofish.org/New_Folder/Calcium_Chloride.pdf
> (I couldn't copy any quotes cause it's PDF but it addresses "briners")

"Applications
TETRA briners grade calcium chloride is used by canners and processors
during the postharvest treatment of fruits and vegetables to increase
firmness and prevent breakup during processing and cooking.
Uses of briners grade calcium chloride include:
! Pickles - To reduce softening during fermentation, fresh cucumbers are
placed in a tank containing a solution of .5% calcium chloride and 7.0%
sodium chloride.
! Apples - Immersing apples in a 3.0 - 8.0% calcium chloride solution
reduces cork spotting and bitter-pit problems.
! Cherries - Brining sweet cherries in a 2.5 - 4.0% solution of calcium
chloride preserves their firmness.
! Olives - Black Ripe and Greek olives are brined in a solution
containing 0.5 - 1.0% calcium chloride to maintain their firmness."

Good luck with the figs,
Bob
zxcvbob

The Joneses wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>

>>Brian Mailman wrote:
>>
>>>I got a spam from homecanning.com (I never signed up for any kind of
>>>newsletter) but it seems Ball has a new product called Pickle Fresh that
>>>does away with the need for pickling lime. I clicked on the "more info"
>>>button but it took me to a different part of the site and I'm too lazy
>>>to go searching.
>>>Anybody know about this and/or use it?

>>http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ALProducts.asp?P=2615
>>
>>I assume it's expensive premeasured calcium chloride packets, or maybe
>>calcium acetate.

> And here's a few things about calcium chloride:
>
> the best site: http://www.nofish.org/New_Folder/Calcium_Chloride.pdf
> (I couldn't copy any quotes cause it's PDF but it addresses "briners")

"Applications
TETRA briners grade calcium chloride is used by canners and processors
during the postharvest treatment of fruits and vegetables to increase
firmness and prevent breakup during processing and cooking.
Uses of briners grade calcium chloride include:
! Pickles - To reduce softening during fermentation, fresh cucumbers are
placed in a tank containing a solution of .5% calcium chloride and 7.0%
sodium chloride.
! Apples - Immersing apples in a 3.0 - 8.0% calcium chloride solution
reduces cork spotting and bitter-pit problems.
! Cherries - Brining sweet cherries in a 2.5 - 4.0% solution of calcium
chloride preserves their firmness.
! Olives - Black Ripe and Greek olives are brined in a solution
containing 0.5 - 1.0% calcium chloride to maintain their firmness."

Good luck with the figs,
Bob

George Shirley

The Joneses wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>

>>Brian Mailman wrote:
>>
>>>I got a spam from homecanning.com (I never signed up for any kind of
>>>newsletter) but it seems Ball has a new product called Pickle Fresh that
>>>does away with the need for pickling lime. I clicked on the "more info"
>>>button but it took me to a different part of the site and I'm too lazy
>>>to go searching.
>>>Anybody know about this and/or use it?

>>http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ALProducts.asp?P=2615
>>
>>I assume it's expensive premeasured calcium chloride packets, or maybe
>>calcium acetate.

> And here's a few things about calcium chloride:
>
> the best site: http://www.nofish.org/New_Folder/Calcium_Chloride.pdf
> (I couldn't copy any quotes cause it's PDF but it addresses "briners")
>
> http://us.shop.com/amos/cc/main/cata.../adtg/07120441
> This ad says Pickle Fresh is calcium chloride
>
> http://www.diseasesdatabase.com/umls...erChoice=30219
> "A salt used to replenish calcium levels, as an acid-producing diuretic, and
> as an antidote for magnesium poisoning."
>
> http://www.kpemsc.org/pharm/calcium.html
> Class: Electrolyte
> Calcium is an essential component for functional integrity of the nervous and
> muscular systems, normal cardiac contractility, and the coagulation of blood.
>
> http://www.peterschemical.com/Calcium%20Chloride.htm
> Industrial uses in concrete, roads, & stuff
> "Effect on vegetation: Used as recommended, will not harm vegetation. Calcium
> Chloride is used as a calcium source for certain fruits and vegetables."
>
> Wish me luck on the fig pile.
> Edrena

A company I occasionally do work for makes calcium chloride for
industrial use. They use railcar loads of caliche rock and treat it with
sulfuric acid. I'll have to ask if they also make food grade stuff.
Could really crisp up a lot of pickles with just one days output from
their facility.

George

George Shirley

The Joneses wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>

>>Brian Mailman wrote:
>>
>>>I got a spam from homecanning.com (I never signed up for any kind of
>>>newsletter) but it seems Ball has a new product called Pickle Fresh that
>>>does away with the need for pickling lime. I clicked on the "more info"
>>>button but it took me to a different part of the site and I'm too lazy
>>>to go searching.
>>>Anybody know about this and/or use it?

>>http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ALProducts.asp?P=2615
>>
>>I assume it's expensive premeasured calcium chloride packets, or maybe
>>calcium acetate.

> And here's a few things about calcium chloride:
>
> the best site: http://www.nofish.org/New_Folder/Calcium_Chloride.pdf
> (I couldn't copy any quotes cause it's PDF but it addresses "briners")
>
> http://us.shop.com/amos/cc/main/cata.../adtg/07120441
> This ad says Pickle Fresh is calcium chloride
>
> http://www.diseasesdatabase.com/umls...erChoice=30219
> "A salt used to replenish calcium levels, as an acid-producing diuretic, and
> as an antidote for magnesium poisoning."
>
> http://www.kpemsc.org/pharm/calcium.html
> Class: Electrolyte
> Calcium is an essential component for functional integrity of the nervous and
> muscular systems, normal cardiac contractility, and the coagulation of blood.
>
> http://www.peterschemical.com/Calcium%20Chloride.htm
> Industrial uses in concrete, roads, & stuff
> "Effect on vegetation: Used as recommended, will not harm vegetation. Calcium
> Chloride is used as a calcium source for certain fruits and vegetables."
>
> Wish me luck on the fig pile.
> Edrena

A company I occasionally do work for makes calcium chloride for
industrial use. They use railcar loads of caliche rock and treat it with
sulfuric acid. I'll have to ask if they also make food grade stuff.
Could really crisp up a lot of pickles with just one days output from
their facility.

George

George Shirley

zxcvbob wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
>
>> zxcvbob wrote:

>>> http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ALProducts.asp?P=2615
>>>
>>> I assume it's expensive premeasured calcium chloride packets, or maybe
>>> calcium acetate.

>> And here's a few things about calcium chloride:
>>
>> the best site: http://www.nofish.org/New_Folder/Calcium_Chloride.pdf
>> (I couldn't copy any quotes cause it's PDF but it addresses "briners")

> "Applications
> TETRA briners grade calcium chloride is used by canners and processors
> during the postharvest treatment of fruits and vegetables to increase
> firmness and prevent breakup during processing and cooking.
> Uses of briners grade calcium chloride include:
> ! Pickles - To reduce softening during fermentation, fresh cucumbers are
> placed in a tank containing a solution of .5% calcium chloride and 7.0%
> sodium chloride.
> ! Apples - Immersing apples in a 3.0 - 8.0% calcium chloride solution
> reduces cork spotting and bitter-pit problems.
> ! Cherries - Brining sweet cherries in a 2.5 - 4.0% solution of calcium
> chloride preserves their firmness.
> ! Olives - Black Ripe and Greek olives are brined in a solution
> containing 0.5 - 1.0% calcium chloride to maintain their firmness."
>

> Good luck with the figs,
> Bob

Heyup! Tetra is the client I mentioned in another post, small world.

George

George Shirley

zxcvbob wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
>
>> zxcvbob wrote:

>>> http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ALProducts.asp?P=2615
>>>
>>> I assume it's expensive premeasured calcium chloride packets, or maybe
>>> calcium acetate.

>> And here's a few things about calcium chloride:
>>
>> the best site: http://www.nofish.org/New_Folder/Calcium_Chloride.pdf
>> (I couldn't copy any quotes cause it's PDF but it addresses "briners")

> "Applications
> TETRA briners grade calcium chloride is used by canners and processors
> during the postharvest treatment of fruits and vegetables to increase
> firmness and prevent breakup during processing and cooking.
> Uses of briners grade calcium chloride include:
> ! Pickles - To reduce softening during fermentation, fresh cucumbers are
> placed in a tank containing a solution of .5% calcium chloride and 7.0%
> sodium chloride.
> ! Apples - Immersing apples in a 3.0 - 8.0% calcium chloride solution
> reduces cork spotting and bitter-pit problems.
> ! Cherries - Brining sweet cherries in a 2.5 - 4.0% solution of calcium
> chloride preserves their firmness.
> ! Olives - Black Ripe and Greek olives are brined in a solution
> containing 0.5 - 1.0% calcium chloride to maintain their firmness."
>

> Good luck with the figs,
> Bob

Heyup! Tetra is the client I mentioned in another post, small world.

George

The Joneses

George Shirley wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
> > zxcvbob wrote:

> >>http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ALProducts.asp?P=2615
> >>
> >>I assume it's expensive premeasured calcium chloride packets, or maybe
> >>calcium acetate.

> > And here's a few things about calcium chloride:
> >
> > the best site: http://www.nofish.org/New_Folder/Calcium_Chloride.pdf
> > (I couldn't copy any quotes cause it's PDF but it addresses "briners")
> >
> > http://us.shop.com/amos/cc/main/cata.../adtg/07120441
> > This ad says Pickle Fresh is calcium chloride
> >
> > http://www.diseasesdatabase.com/umls...erChoice=30219
> > "A salt used to replenish calcium levels, as an acid-producing diuretic, and
> > as an antidote for magnesium poisoning."
> >
> > http://www.kpemsc.org/pharm/calcium.html
> > Class: Electrolyte
> > Calcium is an essential component for functional integrity of the nervous and
> > muscular systems, normal cardiac contractility, and the coagulation of blood.
> >
> > http://www.peterschemical.com/Calcium%20Chloride.htm
> > Industrial uses in concrete, roads, & stuff
> > "Effect on vegetation: Used as recommended, will not harm vegetation. Calcium
> > Chloride is used as a calcium source for certain fruits and vegetables."
> >
> > Wish me luck on the fig pile.
> > Edrena
> >

> A company I occasionally do work for makes calcium chloride for
> industrial use. They use railcar loads of caliche rock and treat it with
> sulfuric acid. I'll have to ask if they also make food grade stuff.
> Could really crisp up a lot of pickles with just one days output from
> their facility.
>
> George

We have lots of caliche fer ya. If it firms up concrete.....
Edrena

The Joneses

George Shirley wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
> > zxcvbob wrote:

> >>http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ALProducts.asp?P=2615
> >>
> >>I assume it's expensive premeasured calcium chloride packets, or maybe
> >>calcium acetate.

> > And here's a few things about calcium chloride:
> >
> > the best site: http://www.nofish.org/New_Folder/Calcium_Chloride.pdf
> > (I couldn't copy any quotes cause it's PDF but it addresses "briners")
> >
> > http://us.shop.com/amos/cc/main/cata.../adtg/07120441
> > This ad says Pickle Fresh is calcium chloride
> >
> > http://www.diseasesdatabase.com/umls...erChoice=30219
> > "A salt used to replenish calcium levels, as an acid-producing diuretic, and
> > as an antidote for magnesium poisoning."
> >
> > http://www.kpemsc.org/pharm/calcium.html
> > Class: Electrolyte
> > Calcium is an essential component for functional integrity of the nervous and
> > muscular systems, normal cardiac contractility, and the coagulation of blood.
> >
> > http://www.peterschemical.com/Calcium%20Chloride.htm
> > Industrial uses in concrete, roads, & stuff
> > "Effect on vegetation: Used as recommended, will not harm vegetation. Calcium
> > Chloride is used as a calcium source for certain fruits and vegetables."
> >
> > Wish me luck on the fig pile.
> > Edrena
> >

> A company I occasionally do work for makes calcium chloride for
> industrial use. They use railcar loads of caliche rock and treat it with
> sulfuric acid. I'll have to ask if they also make food grade stuff.
> Could really crisp up a lot of pickles with just one days output from
> their facility.
>
> George

We have lots of caliche fer ya. If it firms up concrete.....
Edrena

I DON'T WANT A PICKLE Colonel Edmund J. Burke[_13_] General Cooking 0 04-06-2016 04:46 PM
a breath of fresh air (fresh kielbasa~!) into alt.BREGS Bread Basket[_11_] Barbecue 1 09-09-2015 07:44 PM
TN: fresh Rioja, not so fresh St Estephe DaleW Wine 1 17-01-2011 04:31 PM
Pan Yan Pickle Pete General Cooking 0 05-09-2006 10:12 PM
Go Fresh Produce, Inc., Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Sulfites in Go Fresh Dried Fruit Mix Duckie ® Recipes 0 29-05-2004 01:33 AM