Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Jam storage

I recently started making Jam. What I'm wondering is if anyone has
any info on the effects of jam stored and high temperatures and what
the effects might be? I live in Arizona and I would like to geep it
in the garage if its OK but I don't know what the effect sort and long
term might be. My gut says a cool dry place but then I could be
wrong. Any experts have anything to say about it?
Thanks
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Outlander-az wrote:
> I recently started making Jam. What I'm wondering is if anyone has
> any info on the effects of jam stored and high temperatures and what
> the effects might be? I live in Arizona and I would like to geep it
> in the garage if its OK but I don't know what the effect sort and long
> term might be. My gut says a cool dry place but then I could be
> wrong. Any experts have anything to say about it?
> Thanks

A cool, dark, place is best for long-term storage. And even then three
years would be the lifetime of most jams and jellies that would leave
them palatable. I leave the overhead light off in my enclosed, air
conditioned and heated pantry unless one of goes in to retrieve
something. Of course our freezer is in there too.

The following is copied straight from the U of Georgia site:

How long can I keep my homemade jams and jellies on the shelf?
For best quality, it is recommended that all home-canned foods be used
within a year. Most homemade jams and jellies that use a tested recipe,
and have been processed in a canner for the recommended time, should
retain best quality and flavor for up to that one year recommended time.
All home-canned foods should be stored in a cool, dark, dry place,
between 50-70°F. Over extended periods of time, however, changes in
color, flavor, texture and nutrient content of home-canned jams and
jellies is inevitable. A typical full-sugar fruit jam or jelly should be
safe to eat if the jar seal remains intact and the product shows no
visible signs of spoilage from molds or yeasts.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article
Outlander-az > wrote:

> I recently started making Jam. What I'm wondering is if anyone has
> any info on the effects of jam stored and high temperatures and what
> the effects might be? I live in Arizona and I would like to geep it
> in the garage if its OK but I don't know what the effect sort and long
> term might be. My gut says a cool dry place but then I could be
> wrong. Any experts have anything to say about it?
> Thanks

Please don't put it in your garage. As with most foods, dark, cool, and
dry is best. Dark will help preserve the color. Can you store under
your bed, in a closet? Good luck.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Outlander-az" > wrote in message
>I recently started making Jam. What I'm wondering is if anyone has
> any info on the effects of jam stored and high temperatures and what
> the effects might be? I live in Arizona and I would like to geep it
> in the garage if its OK but I don't know what the effect sort and long
> term might be. My gut says a cool dry place but then I could be
> wrong. Any experts have anything to say about it?
> Thanks

Y'all in the fickle weather high desert country or the mostly boiling
southern desert? Out here in El Paso I store on the interior wall of the
garage, in a cabinet, door closed, on a shelf. I've been known to store jams
& pickles in an unused closet, but I don't have any of those anymore,
yessir, they's rare specimens around here.
We don't want the leetle buggers to freeze either. I lusteth after a walk
in cold storage.
Y'all adjusting your bwb for altitude?
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sep 7, 6:53*pm, "The Joneses" > wrote:
> "Outlander-az" > wrote in message

> >I recently started making Jam. *What I'm wondering is if anyone has
> > any info on the effects of jam stored and high temperatures and what
> > the effects might be? *I live in Arizona and I would like to geep it
> > in the garage if its OK but I don't know what the effect sort and long
> > term might be. *My gut says a cool dry place but then I could be
> > wrong. *Any experts have anything to say about it?
> > Thanks

> * Y'all in the fickle weather high desert country or the mostly boiling
> southern desert? Out here in El Paso I store on the interior wall of the
> garage, in a cabinet, door closed, on a shelf. I've been known to store jams
> & pickles in an unused closet, but I don't have any of those anymore,
> yessir, they's rare specimens around here.
> * We don't want the leetle buggers to freeze either. *I lusteth after a walk
> in cold storage.
> * Y'all adjusting your bwb for altitude?
> Edrena

My garage can reach 120deg F right now sometimes...I supposes that
not good?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> Outlander-az > wrote:
>
>> I recently started making Jam. What I'm wondering is if anyone has
>> any info on the effects of jam stored and high temperatures and what
>> the effects might be? I live in Arizona and I would like to geep it
>> in the garage if its OK but I don't know what the effect sort and long
>> term might be. My gut says a cool dry place but then I could be
>> wrong. Any experts have anything to say about it?
>> Thanks

> Please don't put it in your garage. As with most foods, dark, cool, and
> dry is best. Dark will help preserve the color. Can you store under
> your bed, in a closet? Good luck.

Hmm. All of my food storage is in the garage, but then I live in the
Pacific Northwest and it's usually cooler in the garage than in the house.
My garage is insulated, though. I recently opened some jam that had a 1997
date on it. It hadn't spoiled, though the color was a little darker and
tasted okay. I wouldn't recommend keeping the jam that long, though. This
was some that had gotten pushed to the back and overlooked.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Marilyn" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article
> > >,
> > Outlander-az > wrote:
> >
> >> I recently started making Jam. What I'm wondering is if anyone has
> >> any info on the effects of jam stored and high temperatures and what
> >> the effects might be? I live in Arizona and I would like to geep it
> >> in the garage

(snip)

> > Please don't put it in your garage. As with most foods, dark, cool, and
> > dry is best. Dark will help preserve the color. Can you store under
> > your bed, in a closet? Good luck.

> Hmm. All of my food storage is in the garage, but then I live in the
> Pacific Northwest and it's usually cooler in the garage than in the house.

Sure. :-) My reply was aimed specifically at the OP's question for his
AZ garage.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
it out. And check this, too: <http://www.kare11.com/news/
newsatfour/newsatfour_article.aspx?storyid=823232&catid=323>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Outlander-az" > wrote in message
On Sep 7, 6:53 pm, "The Joneses" > wrote:
> "Outlander-az" > wrote in message

> >I recently started making Jam. What I'm wondering is if anyone has
> > any info on the effects of jam stored and high temperatures and what
> > the effects might be? I live in Arizona and I would like to geep it
> > in the garage if its OK but I don't know what the effect sort and long
> > term might be. My gut says a cool dry place but then I could be
> > wrong. Any experts have anything to say about it?
> > Thanks

> Y'all in the fickle weather high desert country or the mostly boiling
> southern desert? Out here in El Paso I store on the interior wall of the
> garage, in a cabinet, door closed, on a shelf. I've been known to store
> jams
> & pickles in an unused closet, but I don't have any of those anymore,
> yessir, they's rare specimens around here.
> We don't want the leetle buggers to freeze either. I lusteth after a walk
> in cold storage.
> Y'all adjusting your bwb for altitude?
> Edrena

<My garage can reach 120deg F right now sometimes...I supposes that
not good?>

Not good. Better a corner in the livin' room, be mighty decorative in that
entertainment center, doncha think? That's where my wine celler is, all few
bottles of it.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Marilyn wrote:
: "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
: ...
:: In article
:: >,
::
:
: Hmm. All of my food storage is in the garage, but then I live in the
: Pacific Northwest and it's usually cooler in the garage than in the
: house. My garage is insulated, though. I recently opened some jam
: that had a 1997 date on it. It hadn't spoiled, though the color was
: a little darker and tasted okay. I wouldn't recommend keeping the
: jam that long, though. This was some that had gotten pushed to the
: back and overlooked.

you saved it just for the jar, right? <G>

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"WSBRK1" > wrote in message
> Marilyn wrote:
> : "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> : ...
> :: In article
> :: >,
> :: Outlander-az > wrote:
> ::
> ::: I recently started making Jam. What I'm wondering is if anyone has
> ::: any info on the effects of jam stored and high temperatures and what
> ::: the effects might be? I live in Arizona and I would like to geep it
> ::: in the garage if its OK but I don't know what the effect sort and
> ::: long term might be. My gut says a cool dry place but then I could
> ::: be wrong. Any experts have anything to say about it?
> ::: Thanks
> ::
> :: Please don't put it in your garage. As with most foods, dark, cool,
> :: and dry is best. Dark will help preserve the color. Can you store
> :: under your bed, in a closet? Good luck.
> :
> : Hmm. All of my food storage is in the garage, but then I live in the
> : Pacific Northwest and it's usually cooler in the garage than in the
> : house. My garage is insulated, though. I recently opened some jam
> : that had a 1997 date on it. It hadn't spoiled, though the color was
> : a little darker and tasted okay. I wouldn't recommend keeping the
> : jam that long, though. This was some that had gotten pushed to the
> : back and overlooked.
>
> you saved it just for the jar, right? <G>

No, no. It just happens that sometimes stuff gets shifted around on the
shelves with the home-canned stuff. I wish they made food-storage shelving
systems for home-canned products. For commercially-canned food, I have
these Cansolidator racks http://www.shelfreliance.com/shop/listing/5. But
you can't store glass canning jars on their sides and you wouldn't want them
rolling anyway because they might break. Also, jars aren't always round,
but somewhat squared.

--
-Marilyn

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Marilyn wrote:
: "WSBRK1" > wrote in message
: ...
:: Marilyn wrote:
::: "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
::: ...
:::: In article
:::: >,
:::: Outlander-az > wrote:
::::
::::: I recently started making Jam. What I'm wondering is if anyone
::::: has any info on the effects of jam stored and high temperatures
::::: and what the effects might be? I live in Arizona and I would
::::: like to geep it in the garage if its OK but I don't know what the
::::: effect sort and long term might be. My gut says a cool dry place
::::: but then I could be wrong. Any experts have anything to say
::::: about it?
::::: Thanks
::::
:::: Please don't put it in your garage. As with most foods, dark,
:::: cool, and dry is best. Dark will help preserve the color. Can
:::: you store under your bed, in a closet? Good luck.
:::
[...]

there are all kinds of things that you could tell the hubby to build. <VBG>
maybe a lazy susan type of system? it does happen though. things just
happen to get missed.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Hollywood®Boy" <"manny or > wrote in message
> Marilyn wrote:
> : "WSBRK1" > wrote in message
> : ...
> :: Marilyn wrote:
> ::: "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> ::: ...
> :::: In article
> :::: >,
> :::: Outlander-az > wrote:
> ::::
> ::::: I recently started making Jam. What I'm wondering is if anyone
> ::::: has any info on the effects of jam stored and high temperatures
> ::::: and what the effects might be? I live in Arizona and I would
> ::::: like to geep it in the garage if its OK but I don't know what the
> ::::: effect sort and long term might be. My gut says a cool dry place
> ::::: but then I could be wrong. Any experts have anything to say
> ::::: about it?
> ::::: Thanks
> ::::
> :::: Please don't put it in your garage. As with most foods, dark,
> :::: cool, and dry is best. Dark will help preserve the color. Can
> :::: you store under your bed, in a closet? Good luck.
> :::
> ::: Hmm. All of my food storage is in the garage, but then I live in
> ::: the Pacific Northwest and it's usually cooler in the garage than in
> ::: the house. My garage is insulated, though. I recently opened some
> ::: jam that had a 1997 date on it. It hadn't spoiled, though the
> ::: color was a little darker and tasted okay. I wouldn't recommend
> ::: keeping the jam that long, though. This was some that had gotten
> ::: pushed to the back and overlooked.
> ::
> :: you saved it just for the jar, right? <G>
> ::
> :
> : No, no. It just happens that sometimes stuff gets shifted around on
> : the shelves with the home-canned stuff. I wish they made
> : food-storage shelving systems for home-canned products. For
> : commercially-canned food, I have these Cansolidator racks
> : http://www.shelfreliance.com/shop/listing/5. But you can't store
> : glass canning jars on their sides and you wouldn't want them rolling
> : anyway because they might break. Also, jars aren't always round, but
> : somewhat squared.
>
> there are all kinds of things that you could tell the hubby to build.
> <VBG>
> maybe a lazy susan type of system? it does happen though. things just
> happen to get missed.

I'm just surprised no one else has made or marketed anything. Is it too
much of a niche market? Seems like a lot of people are started to take an
interest in home food preservation again and I don't mean just the crazy
survivalists that are putting ammo in their storage, too (it's amazing what
you find when you start Googling things like "home canning storage").

Oh, well, back to the topic of jam. I just made a batch of rosehip jelly.
The recipe said it yielded 6 8-oz. jars, but as usual, I got a different
number. This time it was actually less, only 5 8-oz. jars and 1 4-oz. jar.
It's a pretty orange color, though, and has a faint perfumey smell like rose
petals. Hopefully it will set up and gel with time as right now it's
really, really runny.

--
-Marilyn

Cheap Storage Boxes | Cheap Moving Boxes | Smart Storage Boxes rozy zenstin Cooking Equipment 0 25-10-2010 02:26 PM
The storage of tea Richard Zhang Tea 2 12-04-2010 08:30 AM
AGAIN - Storage of Tea hilltop Tea 13 23-06-2007 12:07 PM
Wet storage MarshalN Tea 5 16-10-2006 06:35 PM
Storage [email protected] Wine 1 02-10-2005 10:28 AM