Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Pears, pears, pears

Just got back from a friends place where we picked a two-bushel tote
almost full of canning pears. I reckon tomorrow I will start making pear
sauce and then *pear jelly. I use the applesauce recipe from the Ball
Complete Book for pear sauce.

*After running the cooked pears through the food mill I strain the meat
from the juice then clarify the juice further by straining it through a
jelly bag. The final product is a nice, clear yellow juice that makes a
beautiful jelly.

I plan to prepare 24 lbs of pears at a time to make double recipes of
sauce, half will be dosed with citric acid to maintain color and then
stored in the refrigerator until I'm done with the first half.

Part of the pears will be turned into pear slices in a light syrup to
make cobblers and pies with later on. I may or may not make some pear
honey as we do like that stuff too.

Friend's tree is still loaded with pears in case we need more but I see
no need to get greedy. <G>

I will go back after the pear trees drop their leaves this fall and help
our friend prune them, they badly need shaping and trimming.

Checked his muscadine vines while we were there, he has green, bronze,
and purple, but the fruit is still small. Maybe later we can get some
for making jelly and syrup.

What's Up With Pears Lately? Way Back Jack[_5_] General Cooking 8 05-02-2012 05:53 PM
Pears The Cook Preserving 17 17-10-2011 12:41 AM
OT pears Julie Bove Preserving 12 30-07-2005 06:34 AM
Pears, pears, and more pears George Shirley Preserving 5 10-08-2004 03:07 AM
Pears, pears, and more pears George Shirley Preserving 20 01-08-2004 02:54 AM