Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Excitement`

We're getting excited, the LA Feliciana peach tree is covered with tiny
peaches. Looks like I may have to thin them a little later. Oops, hope I
have jinxed things with the peach fairy.

Plus we have tomatoes the size of golf balls and haven't even got the
rest of the garden stuff planted yet.

On the sad side, Miz Anne's 100 year old mother passed away on 28th.
We're pretty sure she was ready. A memorial service will be held on
04/13 and Miz Anne will be in Maryland for that. MIL was a smart, very
good woman who raised five good kids and was kind to her in laws, you
can't live much better than that. RIP Mom.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> We're getting excited, the LA Feliciana peach tree is covered with tiny
> peaches. Looks like I may have to thin them a little later. Oops, hope I
> have jinxed things with the peach fairy.
>
> Plus we have tomatoes the size of golf balls and haven't even got the
> rest of the garden stuff planted yet.

I haven't even planted my tomato and pepper seeds yet this year. (I'm
really late with the peppers.) One of the things I miss most about
Texas is my peach trees. You're far enough into the season to be past
the whims of the sometimes-evil peach fairy, aren't you? (late frosts,
especially)

Sorry about your MIL.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> We're getting excited, the LA Feliciana peach tree is covered with
>> tiny peaches. Looks like I may have to thin them a little later. Oops,
>> hope I have jinxed things with the peach fairy.
>>
>> Plus we have tomatoes the size of golf balls and haven't even got the
>> rest of the garden stuff planted yet.
>>

> I haven't even planted my tomato and pepper seeds yet this year. (I'm
> really late with the peppers.) One of the things I miss most about
> Texas is my peach trees. You're far enough into the season to be past
> the whims of the sometimes-evil peach fairy, aren't you? (late frosts,
> especially)

Unusual spring for USDA zone 9b Bob, had frosts up until the second week
of March. Generally our last frost date is February 18th each year.
Where is Al Gore and global warming when you need them. Luckily the
fruit trees didn't bud out and start blooming until the frost was behind
us. Not only the peach but the plum and pear trees are in full bloom and
I think I saw the little green blooms on the Jap persimmon too. Only the
quince tree failed to bloom and it has only been in the ground a little
over a year.

> Sorry about your MIL.

Thank you, we will miss her, she was a jewel to all of our extended
family. Until she started to fail mentally she wrote a letter to us
every week since we married in December 1960. Didn't matter where we
were or how far away, she wrote every week with the goings on of those
still in reach of her. She was a fine artist with many paintings on
display around the world and passed that ability down to her eldest
daughter, my wife. None of her other kids have the painting gene but
most are creative in other ways so she scored a hit across the board
with them.

> Bob

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.. .
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> George Shirley wrote:
>>> We're getting excited, the LA Feliciana peach tree is covered with tiny
>>> peaches. Looks like I may have to thin them a little later. Oops, hope I
>>> have jinxed things with the peach fairy.
>>>
>>> Plus we have tomatoes the size of golf balls and haven't even got the
>>> rest of the garden stuff planted yet.
>>>

>> I haven't even planted my tomato and pepper seeds yet this year. (I'm
>> really late with the peppers.) One of the things I miss most about Texas
>> is my peach trees. You're far enough into the season to be past the
>> whims of the sometimes-evil peach fairy, aren't you? (late frosts,
>> especially)

> Unusual spring for USDA zone 9b Bob, had frosts up until the second week
> of March. Generally our last frost date is February 18th each year. Where
> is Al Gore and global warming when you need them. Luckily the fruit trees
> didn't bud out and start blooming until the frost was behind us. Not only
> the peach but the plum and pear trees are in full bloom and I think I saw
> the little green blooms on the Jap persimmon too. Only the quince tree
> failed to bloom and it has only been in the ground a little over a year.
>

>> Sorry about your MIL.

> Thank you, we will miss her, she was a jewel to all of our extended
> family. Until she started to fail mentally she wrote a letter to us every
> week since we married in December 1960. Didn't matter where we were or how
> far away, she wrote every week with the goings on of those still in reach
> of her. She was a fine artist with many paintings on display around the
> world and passed that ability down to her eldest daughter, my wife. None
> of her other kids have the painting gene but most are creative in other
> ways so she scored a hit across the board with them.
>>
>> Bob

Been having daffydills & spirea, got petunias in the ground, a couple
cactus blossoms. My maters & peppers are peepin' out. Got a few skinny
sparrowgrass. Harvesting herbs every day except basil - still a little
early for them, 3 kinds. And I'll see yer new quince and raise you a
pomegranate bush.
Bless your mil - finding someone who wrote letters is almost wierd these
days, even if we all know we love to get mail. God bless'r.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.. .
> We're getting excited, the LA Feliciana peach tree is covered with tiny
> peaches. Looks like I may have to thin them a little later. Oops, hope I
> have jinxed things with the peach fairy.
>
> Plus we have tomatoes the size of golf balls and haven't even got the rest
> of the garden stuff planted yet.
>
> On the sad side, Miz Anne's 100 year old mother passed away on 28th. We're
> pretty sure she was ready. A memorial service will be held on 04/13 and
> Miz Anne will be in Maryland for that. MIL was a smart, very good woman
> who raised five good kids and was kind to her in laws, you can't live much
> better than that. RIP Mom.

I just can't imagine what peach blossoms and tiny peaches look like (yes,
I'll Google). I get so excited every year when my apple tree is in bloom,
even tho we don't harvest the apples (small, tasteless things, don't know
the variety) because it's so pretty. Lucky you, George!

There's still snow, in patches here, and there were a few wet flurries
today - will be a long while before I even think about planting. But I'll
be a little sorry to see the last patch of snow go from the front yard -
when I give my 12 year old Golden Retriever a raw hide bone, she likes to go
out and lie on that cold pile of snow to chew.

So sorry to hear about your MIL, my condolences to you and Miz Anne.

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> We're getting excited, the LA Feliciana peach tree is covered with tiny
>> peaches. Looks like I may have to thin them a little later. Oops, hope I
>> have jinxed things with the peach fairy.
>>
>> Plus we have tomatoes the size of golf balls and haven't even got the rest
>> of the garden stuff planted yet.
>>
>> On the sad side, Miz Anne's 100 year old mother passed away on 28th. We're
>> pretty sure she was ready. A memorial service will be held on 04/13 and
>> Miz Anne will be in Maryland for that. MIL was a smart, very good woman
>> who raised five good kids and was kind to her in laws, you can't live much
>> better than that. RIP Mom.

> I just can't imagine what peach blossoms and tiny peaches look like (yes,
> I'll Google). I get so excited every year when my apple tree is in bloom,
> even tho we don't harvest the apples (small, tasteless things, don't know
> the variety) because it's so pretty. Lucky you, George!
>
> There's still snow, in patches here, and there were a few wet flurries
> today - will be a long while before I even think about planting. But I'll
> be a little sorry to see the last patch of snow go from the front yard -
> when I give my 12 year old Golden Retriever a raw hide bone, she likes to go
> out and lie on that cold pile of snow to chew.
>
> So sorry to hear about your MIL, my condolences to you and Miz Anne.
>
> Kathi

Lots of times fruit trees bear tiny tasteless fruit because the fruit
needs thinning and/or the tree needs pruning and fertilizing. Without
all three on an annual basis they don't bear well.

Most of our tiny peaches will be pulled off the tree when they're about
the size of ping pong balls or smaller. I usually leave room for my fist
to fit between the fruit that is left and sometimes I leave as much as
seven inches betweens the fruit. You might try some of the above Kathi.

I get a lot of information from the LSU Ag center and your state ag and
mech college probably has an ag center too. If not try the one at TAMU,
that's Texas A&M University. Texas is big enough that it has all the
USDA zones within their borders.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> We're getting excited, the LA Feliciana peach tree is covered with tiny
> peaches. Looks like I may have to thin them a little later. Oops, hope I
> have jinxed things with the peach fairy.
>
> Plus we have tomatoes the size of golf balls and haven't even got the
> rest of the garden stuff planted yet.

Down here in the extremely deep South[1] the summer season is just
about finished. We should be seeing our first frosts in a month or
so.

I've never done much of a winter veggie garden, this year it'll
probably just be a few plots of carrots. Unfortunately our 2 chickens
are very partial to carrot tops...

> On the sad side, Miz Anne's 100 year old mother passed away on 28th.
> We're pretty sure she was ready. A memorial service will be held on
> 04/13 and Miz Anne will be in Maryland for that. MIL was a smart, very
> good woman who raised five good kids and was kind to her in laws, you
> can't live much better than that. RIP Mom.

Commiserations on your loss. 100 is a pretty good innings, though.

BTH
[1] 35 degrees South of the equator.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
> Kathi Jones wrote:
>> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>> We're getting excited, the LA Feliciana peach tree is covered with tiny
>>> peaches. Looks like I may have to thin them a little later. Oops, hope I
>>> have jinxed things with the peach fairy.
>>>
>>> Plus we have tomatoes the size of golf balls and haven't even got the
>>> rest of the garden stuff planted yet.
>>>
>>> On the sad side, Miz Anne's 100 year old mother passed away on 28th.
>>> We're pretty sure she was ready. A memorial service will be held on
>>> 04/13 and Miz Anne will be in Maryland for that. MIL was a smart, very
>>> good woman who raised five good kids and was kind to her in laws, you
>>> can't live much better than that. RIP Mom.

>> I just can't imagine what peach blossoms and tiny peaches look like (yes,
>> I'll Google). I get so excited every year when my apple tree is in
>> bloom, even tho we don't harvest the apples (small, tasteless things,
>> don't know the variety) because it's so pretty. Lucky you, George!
>>
>> There's still snow, in patches here, and there were a few wet flurries
>> today - will be a long while before I even think about planting. But
>> I'll be a little sorry to see the last patch of snow go from the front
>> yard - when I give my 12 year old Golden Retriever a raw hide bone, she
>> likes to go out and lie on that cold pile of snow to chew.
>>
>> So sorry to hear about your MIL, my condolences to you and Miz Anne.
>>
>> Kathi

> Lots of times fruit trees bear tiny tasteless fruit because the fruit
> needs thinning and/or the tree needs pruning and fertilizing. Without all
> three on an annual basis they don't bear well.
>
> Most of our tiny peaches will be pulled off the tree when they're about
> the size of ping pong balls or smaller. I usually leave room for my fist
> to fit between the fruit that is left and sometimes I leave as much as
> seven inches betweens the fruit. You might try some of the above Kathi.
>
> I get a lot of information from the LSU Ag center and your state ag and
> mech college probably has an ag center too. If not try the one at TAMU,
> that's Texas A&M University. Texas is big enough that it has all the USDA
> zones within their borders.

thanks for the advice, George, I might just try it! It's a shame that just
the crows and wild turkeys have been enjoying the apples off that tree.

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> We're getting excited, the LA Feliciana peach tree is covered with tiny
> peaches. Looks like I may have to thin them a little later. Oops, hope I
> have jinxed things with the peach fairy.
>
> Plus we have tomatoes the size of golf balls and haven't even got the
> rest of the garden stuff planted yet.

(Sigh) We have snow and night temps int he teens after a
very mild winter.

> On the sad side, Miz Anne's 100 year old mother passed away on 28th.
> We're pretty sure she was ready. A memorial service will be held on
> 04/13 and Miz Anne will be in Maryland for that. MIL was a smart, very
> good woman who raised five good kids and was kind to her in laws, you
> can't live much better than that. RIP Mom.

My sympathy to you and Miz Anne. Mom sounds like a terrific
woman
who had a long, productive life.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Sorry I have been away so long...work, vacation(s)--one short, one
long.

First, short vacation--went to visit un-officially adopted kids. UAD
(un-officially adopted daughter) ran me ragged all over Austin. I
*loved* every minute of it. It just so happens it was my birthday
weekend--this was in mid-March--and she took me to the farmers market--
it was "herb fest weekend". I am now the proud owner of two bay
trees. Fresh bay leaves, if they make it. The lady selling them said
they thrive on neglect--just my kind of thing--and plant them in a
gallon pot. Speaking of herbs, some of mine are really putting out
right now. I am doing a lot of harvesting and drying right now.

Long vacation--went to visit the in-laws in Lost Wages, um Las Vegas.
It was an exciting trip--blowing sand/high winds on the way out around
Winslow, AZ and snow (!!!) in Flagstaff, AZ on the way back. I made a
little snowball at one stop and threw it at Hun Bun as he walking back
to the car. Should have really put some more thought into that--he
could have left me there. : - ) We did find a good bagel place in
Las Vegas--Harrie's Bagelmania on Twain Avenue. I really liked the
bialys.

And now for the excitement...Hun Bun stopped this morning on his way
into work to check on the dewberries. They are now red so, only a
couple of weeks and we'll be picking, picking, picking!!!

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Forgot to add:

MIL sounds like she was a fine woman who lived a full, productive
life. My sympathies to you both.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Mimi wrote:
> Sorry I have been away so long...work, vacation(s)--one short, one
> long.
>
> First, short vacation--went to visit un-officially adopted kids. UAD
> (un-officially adopted daughter) ran me ragged all over Austin. I
> *loved* every minute of it. It just so happens it was my birthday
> weekend--this was in mid-March--and she took me to the farmers market--
> it was "herb fest weekend". I am now the proud owner of two bay
> trees. Fresh bay leaves, if they make it. The lady selling them said
> they thrive on neglect--just my kind of thing--and plant them in a
> gallon pot. Speaking of herbs, some of mine are really putting out
> right now. I am doing a lot of harvesting and drying right now.
>
> Long vacation--went to visit the in-laws in Lost Wages, um Las Vegas.
> It was an exciting trip--blowing sand/high winds on the way out around
> Winslow, AZ and snow (!!!) in Flagstaff, AZ on the way back. I made a
> little snowball at one stop and threw it at Hun Bun as he walking back
> to the car. Should have really put some more thought into that--he
> could have left me there. : - ) We did find a good bagel place in
> Las Vegas--Harrie's Bagelmania on Twain Avenue. I really liked the
> bialys.
>
> And now for the excitement...Hun Bun stopped this morning on his way
> into work to check on the dewberries. They are now red so, only a
> couple of weeks and we'll be picking, picking, picking!!!

Be careful, I've got my grandkids who live in Conroe out scouting
locations for us.

Sounds like you had nice vacations, we haven't been on one in years. I
do wish the !@#$% Parish would stop spraying herbicide on the roadsides.
People who have plants close to the road have to put up signs to stop
them killing their grape vines, blackberries, etc.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Mimi wrote:
> Forgot to add:
>
> MIL sounds like she was a fine woman who lived a full, productive
> life. My sympathies to you both.

She was that, she was also a home food preserver. With five kids, all
pretty close together it was probably self-preservation but she had all
the equipment until they moved into a retirement home. Pressure canner,
BWB canner, jars, the whole nine yards. FIL had a big garden, raspberry
patch, asparagus patch, fruit trees but no livestock other than a couple
of war surplus horses for a few years after WWII. Coast guard coastal
defense horses, the kids, according to DW, really loved those horses too.

MIL will be sorely missed as we were all very close to her. Youngest SIL
and DW each gave eulogies and I submitted one by email that was also read.