Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Polishing my Pearls

Demeyere kettle - check
Pyrex 2-quart pitchers - check
Foley - check
Jar lifter - check
Jars - check
Canning funnel - check
Wand magnet for lids - check
Plastic gizmo for debubbling jars - check
Hot mitts - check
Non-stick dutch oven - check
Stick blender - check
Spices - check
Pearls - CHECK!

Hostess to provide apples and sugar and 4 Junior Girl Scouts (or
whatever they're called) for Apple Butter 101. Light a candle. Hostess
is doing stuff I have not asked her to do and it's making me a little
uncomfortable. I'm a control freak and admit it.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Sat 01 Nov 2008 07:34:08a, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> Demeyere kettle - check
> Pyrex 2-quart pitchers - check
> Foley - check

Would that be a Foley catheter or food mill?

> Jar lifter - check
> Jars - check
> Canning funnel - check
> Wand magnet for lids - check
> Plastic gizmo for debubbling jars - check
> Hot mitts - check
> Non-stick dutch oven - check
> Stick blender - check
> Spices - check
> Pearls - CHECK!
>
> Hostess to provide apples and sugar and 4 Junior Girl Scouts (or
> whatever they're called) for Apple Butter 101. Light a candle. Hostess
> is doing stuff I have not asked her to do and it's making me a little
> uncomfortable. I'm a control freak and admit it.

I think I would run from this scene in extreme haste. I don’t tolerate
kids in the kitchen.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 11(XI)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
1wks 19hrs 48mins
Too much month at the end of the money.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Demeyere kettle - check
> Pyrex 2-quart pitchers - check
> Foley - check
> Jar lifter - check
> Jars - check
> Canning funnel - check
> Wand magnet for lids - check
> Plastic gizmo for debubbling jars - check
> Hot mitts - check
> Non-stick dutch oven - check
> Stick blender - check
> Spices - check
> Pearls - CHECK!
>
> Hostess to provide apples and sugar and 4 Junior Girl Scouts (or
> whatever they're called) for Apple Butter 101. Light a candle. Hostess
> is doing stuff I have not asked her to do and it's making me a little
> uncomfortable. I'm a control freak and admit it.
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini
> (Send her a note!)

WTG Barb! Thanks for giving back to a great cause. 4 JGS's huh?........Vying
for Sainthood I see. :-)

KW

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Sat 01 Nov 2008 07:34:08a, Melba's Jammin' told us...
>
> > Demeyere kettle - check
> > Pyrex 2-quart pitchers - check
> > Foley - check

> Would that be a Foley catheter or food mill?

Hey!! In spite of some recent posts this is still a food preserving
group!! :-)
(snip)
> > Hostess to provide apples and sugar and 4 Junior Girl Scouts (or
> > whatever they're called) for Apple Butter 101. Light a candle. Hostess
> > is doing stuff I have not asked her to do and it's making me a little
> > uncomfortable. I'm a control freak and admit it.

> I think I would run from this scene in extreme haste. I don’t tolerate
> kids in the kitchen.

A woman my age shouldn't have so much legal fun as I had with those
young women on Saturday * 3 hours worth. One was pondering the
possibility of using the extracted apple juice as a marinade for a pork
roast. She's 16! (And not a member of the troup, but a cousin of a
member). Hello!! One of the 13-year-olds does much of the cooking for
her family. When I was 13 I could cook spaghetti noodles and not too
much more than that.

They were *eager* to have a hand at turning the Foley. They were
*eager* to sample the four different apple varieties I brought along.
They were *interested* to know about the U of MN Apple House where
products of its research are sold to the public. They were *curious*
about "technology transfer," i.e., what other fruits can be made into
butter. They were competent and attentive. Gives an old lady hope for
the future!

Each went home with a jar of apple butter; one was wanting to know if it
could be colored ‹ purple is what she had in mind. :-) Alex bless
them!!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini
(Send her a note!)
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"KW" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> > Hostess to provide apples and sugar and 4 Junior Girl Scouts (or

> WTG Barb! Thanks for giving back to a great cause. 4 JGS's huh?........Vying
> for Sainthood I see. :-)
>
> KW

I like teen-agers and get along well with them. :-) I had great fun
on Halloween with the 6-8 who dared come begging for candy at my place.
(I make the teen treaters take a current events quiz before I give them
candy.)

I was very impressed with these young women on all fronts. They were
interested and thoughtful in their questions, respectful and courteous
in their deportment. Really sweet young women. And they did the clean
up. :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini
(Send her a note!)

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article 0>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Sat 01 Nov 2008 07:34:08a, Melba's Jammin' told us...
>>
>>> Demeyere kettle - check
>>> Pyrex 2-quart pitchers - check
>>> Foley - check

>> Would that be a Foley catheter or food mill?

> Hey!! In spite of some recent posts this is still a food preserving
> group!! :-)
> (snip)

I admit to having the same question!
Hey, if there was an entire, long day spent standing in the kitchen,
with no time for breaks...
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon 03 Nov 2008 08:29:44a, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article 0>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Sat 01 Nov 2008 07:34:08a, Melba's Jammin' told us...
>>
>> > Demeyere kettle - check
>> > Pyrex 2-quart pitchers - check
>> > Foley - check

>> Would that be a Foley catheter or food mill?

> Hey!! In spite of some recent posts this is still a food preserving
> group!! :-)

One never knows for sure without asking.

>> > Hostess to provide apples and sugar and 4 Junior Girl Scouts (or
>> > whatever they're called) for Apple Butter 101. Light a candle.
>> > Hostess is doing stuff I have not asked her to do and it's making me
>> > a little uncomfortable. I'm a control freak and admit it.

>> I think I would run from this scene in extreme haste. I don’t tolerate
>> kids in the kitchen.

> A woman my age shouldn't have so much legal fun as I had with those
> young women on Saturday * 3 hours worth. One was pondering the
> possibility of using the extracted apple juice as a marinade for a pork
> roast. She's 16! (And not a member of the troup, but a cousin of a
> member). Hello!! One of the 13-year-olds does much of the cooking for
> her family. When I was 13 I could cook spaghetti noodles and not too
> much more than that.
>
> They were *eager* to have a hand at turning the Foley. They were
> *eager* to sample the four different apple varieties I brought along.
> They were *interested* to know about the U of MN Apple House where
> products of its research are sold to the public. They were *curious*
> about "technology transfer," i.e., what other fruits can be made into
> butter. They were competent and attentive. Gives an old lady hope for
> the future!
>
> Each went home with a jar of apple butter; one was wanting to know if it
> could be colored ‹ purple is what she had in mind. :-) Alex bless
> them!!

When you said "Junior" Girl Scouts, I was envisioning a group of 7-8 year
old kids. In retrospect, I suppose that age group would be Brownies. From
that I would have run from the kitchen. 13 year olds I could handle. I
think they are ful-fledged Girl Scouts, not the "Junior" version. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 11(XI)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
1wks 4hrs 28mins
What does ignorant mean?
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Mon 03 Nov 2008 04:49:01p, Dave Bell told us...

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article 0>,
>> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat 01 Nov 2008 07:34:08a, Melba's Jammin' told us...

>>> Would that be a Foley catheter or food mill?

>> Hey!! In spite of some recent posts this is still a food preserving
>> group!! :-)
>> (snip)

> I admit to having the same question!
> Hey, if there was an entire, long day spent standing in the kitchen,
> with no time for breaks...

It might prove useful.

--
Wayne Boatwright