Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Cherry Tomato Seeds

This is sort of offtopic, but since I'm not subbed in to
rec.gardens.edible and I wouldn't for a flyby like this, ANNND
discussion veers into garden maintainance and contents thereof, I'll ask
here. Plus--it's about preserving, albeit one usually doesn't think of
consuming tomato seeds.

I've got these cherry tomatos that overwintered last year in my kitchen
window but I dunno if they will again this year. They're Sungold
variety and I wouldn't know where to get the plants.

Any special instructions for saving the seeds? As in, how many, what's
the usual germination rate, when should I start growing them, etc.

Thanks.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Brian Mailman wrote:
> This is sort of offtopic, but since I'm not subbed in to
> rec.gardens.edible and I wouldn't for a flyby like this, ANNND
> discussion veers into garden maintainance and contents thereof, I'll ask
> here. Plus--it's about preserving, albeit one usually doesn't think of
> consuming tomato seeds.
>
> I've got these cherry tomatos that overwintered last year in my kitchen
> window but I dunno if they will again this year. They're Sungold
> variety and I wouldn't know where to get the plants.
>
> Any special instructions for saving the seeds? As in, how many, what's
> the usual germination rate, when should I start growing them, etc.
>
> Thanks.
>
> B/

Sungold cherry is an heirloom tomato so the seeds can be saved. Best
advice is to go he

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/s...456024410.html

for saving seeds. You can look the Sungold Cherry up on the web for the
usual germination rate, when to plant the seed for your area, etc. HTH
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Brian Mailman wrote:
>>
>> I've got these cherry tomatos that overwintered last year in my
>> kitchen window but I dunno if they will again this year. They're
>> Sungold variety and I wouldn't know where to get the plants.
>>
>> Any special instructions for saving the seeds? As in, how many,
>> what's the usual germination rate, when should I start growing them, etc
>>
>> B/

> Sungold cherry is an heirloom tomato so the seeds can be saved. Best
> advice is to go he
>
> http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/s...456024410.html
>
> for saving seeds. You can look the Sungold Cherry up on the web for the
> usual germination rate, when to plant the seed for your area, etc. HTH

I have seen this "fermentation" method of saving tomato seed before.
What I question is why it is needed since every spring we have evidence
that quite a few of the tomatoes which fell to the ground in the garden
have germinated quite successfully with no help at all.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Gloria P wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> Brian Mailman wrote:
>>>
>>> I've got these cherry tomatos that overwintered last year in my
>>> kitchen window but I dunno if they will again this year. They're
>>> Sungold variety and I wouldn't know where to get the plants.
>>>
>>> Any special instructions for saving the seeds? As in, how many,
>>> what's the usual germination rate, when should I start growing them, etc
>>>
>>> B/

>> Sungold cherry is an heirloom tomato so the seeds can be saved. Best
>> advice is to go he
>>
>> http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/s...456024410.html
>>
>> for saving seeds. You can look the Sungold Cherry up on the web for
>> the usual germination rate, when to plant the seed for your area, etc.
>> HTH

> I have seen this "fermentation" method of saving tomato seed before.
> What I question is why it is needed since every spring we have evidence
> that quite a few of the tomatoes which fell to the ground in the garden
> have germinated quite successfully with no help at all.
>
> gloria p

They fermented in the ground, over a much longer period of time, as the
fruit rotted. That's what you are trying to duplicate in your jar of
smelly tomato water.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> Brian Mailman wrote:

>> I've got these cherry tomatos that overwintered last year in my kitchen
>> window but I dunno if they will again this year. They're Sungold
>> variety and I wouldn't know where to get the plants.
>>
>> Any special instructions for saving the seeds? As in, how many, what's
>> the usual germination rate, when should I start growing them, etc.

> Sungold cherry is an heirloom tomato so the seeds can be saved.

ah, cool. I had no idea it was heirloom. They're not bright red when
ripe, but a red-orange, and sweeeeeeeeeet.

Did you know that already? (wouldn't put it past you to know)

> Best advice is to go he

> http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/s...456024410.html
>
> for saving seeds. You can look the Sungold Cherry up on the web for the
> usual germination rate, when to plant the seed for your area, etc. HTH

Yeah, helps a lot, thanks. Glad I asked.

B/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Brian Mailman wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> Brian Mailman wrote:

>>> I've got these cherry tomatos that overwintered last year in my
>>> kitchen window but I dunno if they will again this year. They're
>>> Sungold variety and I wouldn't know where to get the plants.
>>>
>>> Any special instructions for saving the seeds? As in, how many,
>>> what's the usual germination rate, when should I start growing them,
>>> etc.

>> Sungold cherry is an heirloom tomato so the seeds can be saved.

> ah, cool. I had no idea it was heirloom. They're not bright red when
> ripe, but a red-orange, and sweeeeeeeeeet.
>
> Did you know that already? (wouldn't put it past you to know)

Did a Google on Sungold Cherry tomatoes and got all the info. DW grew
some gold cherry toms last year but she didn't remember what variety. My
favorite small tom is the Yellow Pear, about as big as the end of your
thumb but delicious. I used to pick a batch whilst working in the garden
and eat them up. They are also an heirloom.

> > Best advice is to go he

>> http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/s...456024410.html
>>
>> for saving seeds. You can look the Sungold Cherry up on the web for
>> the usual germination rate, when to plant the seed for your area, etc.
>> HTH

> Yeah, helps a lot, thanks. Glad I asked.
>
> B/

The world wide web is a wondrous thing. Wish we had had this much info
when I was a kid. Nah, only computers around back then were Eniac and
Univac, too big for much of any good and used punch cards. No Google either.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Gloria P" > wrote in message
. ..
> George Shirley wrote:
>> Brian Mailman wrote:
>>>
>>> I've got these cherry tomatos that overwintered last year in my kitchen
>>> window but I dunno if they will again this year. They're Sungold
>>> variety and I wouldn't know where to get the plants.
>>>
>>> Any special instructions for saving the seeds? As in, how many, what's
>>> the usual germination rate, when should I start growing them, etc
>>>
>>> B/

>> Sungold cherry is an heirloom tomato so the seeds can be saved. Best
>> advice is to go he
>>
>> http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/s...456024410.html
>>
>> for saving seeds. You can look the Sungold Cherry up on the web for the
>> usual germination rate, when to plant the seed for your area, etc. HTH

> I have seen this "fermentation" method of saving tomato seed before.

I don't ferment mine and they germinate just fine.

> What I question is why it is needed since every spring we have evidence
> that quite a few of the tomatoes which fell to the ground in the garden
> have germinated quite successfully with no help at all.
>
> gloria p

cherry tomato jam or preserves Liz *** Preserving 2 03-08-2007 03:40 AM
Removing tomato seeds anon General Cooking 9 09-03-2007 07:41 PM
Tomato seeds? ralphu chowdry General Cooking 9 30-12-2006 11:41 PM
Cherry Tomato Salad Duckie ® Recipes 0 17-07-2005 02:49 PM
Heirloom Tomato Seeds Biff General Cooking 7 20-02-2005 08:42 PM