FoodBanter.com

-   Preserving (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/)
-   -   Headspace (https://www.foodbanter.com/preserving/158077-headspace.html)

[email protected] 05-07-2008 11:59 PM

Headspace

I made cherry jam last night. One of the jars has about 3/4" of
headspace instead of the 1/4" specified in the BBB recipe. They all
pinged up just lovely.

Can I still store the short one like the other 2 or do I have to put
it in the fridge and use it now?

Melba's Jammin' 06-07-2008 12:05 AM

Headspace

In article >,
wrote:

> I made cherry jam last night. One of the jars has about 3/4" of
> headspace instead of the 1/4" specified in the BBB recipe. They all
> pinged up just lovely.
>
> Can I still store the short one like the other 2 or do I have to put
> it in the fridge and use it now?

I'd leave it on the pantry shelf. If it were half full, or 3/4 full,
I'd think differently about it. I just measured a regular half pint
Kerr jar and 3/4" is at the bottom of the thread. I wouldn't worry
about it.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
rec.food.cooking

George Shirley 06-07-2008 01:23 AM

Headspace

wrote:
> I made cherry jam last night. One of the jars has about 3/4" of
> headspace instead of the 1/4" specified in the BBB recipe. They all
> pinged up just lovely.
>
> Can I still store the short one like the other 2 or do I have to put
> it in the fridge and use it now?

I've had that happen before and just stored them as I did the rest of
the batch. As long as it is sealed it should stay good.

[email protected] 06-07-2008 02:08 AM

Headspace

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 19:23:45 -0500, George Shirley

>> I made cherry jam last night. One of the jars has about 3/4" of
>> headspace instead of the 1/4" specified in the BBB recipe. They all
>> pinged up just lovely.
>>
>> Can I still store the short one like the other 2 or do I have to put
>> it in the fridge and use it now?

>I've had that happen before and just stored them as I did the rest of
>the batch. As long as it is sealed it should stay good.

Thanks, Barb and George! I want to save as much as I can for the
winter.

ellen wickberg 06-07-2008 06:15 PM

Headspace

wrote:
> I made cherry jam last night. One of the jars has about 3/4" of
> headspace instead of the 1/4" specified in the BBB recipe. They all
> pinged up just lovely.
>
> Can I still store the short one like the other 2 or do I have to put
> it in the fridge and use it now?

If it is sealed ( pinged) it's OK to store.
Ellen

The Joneses[_1_] 06-07-2008 08:13 PM

Headspace

> wrote in message
>I made cherry jam last night. One of the jars has about 3/4" of
> headspace instead of the 1/4" specified in the BBB recipe. They all
> pinged up just lovely.
>
> Can I still store the short one like the other 2 or do I have to put
> it in the fridge and use it now?

I always leave that much and never had a problem. Then again, at my altitude
(>4,000 ft) we are advised to leave a bit extra. Can't remember the
reasoning for this right now, but there you go.
Edrena

Anny Middon 08-07-2008 05:40 PM

Headspace

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.. .
> wrote:
>> I made cherry jam last night. One of the jars has about 3/4" of
>> headspace instead of the 1/4" specified in the BBB recipe. They all
>> pinged up just lovely. Can I still store the short one like the other 2
>> or do I have to put
>> it in the fridge and use it now?

> I've had that happen before and just stored them as I did the rest of the
> batch. As long as it is sealed it should stay good.

I'll just add a caveat that you should probably use the jar first, before
the ones with less headspace.

I'm going from memory here, but I think more headspace increases the chance
of getting some oxidation (or maybe it just causes oxidation to happen
sooner). Oxidation won't make you sick, but it does deteriorate the taste
of the jam.

Anny