Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Hamburger dills

Cuke crop is coming in pretty good and Miz Anne and I have a hunger for
some hamburger dill pickles. So Easy and the Big Ball Book don't seem to
have any recipes except for whole pickles. Anyone have a good, tried and
true recipe for sliced dill pickles.

Another question: Anyone ever use Ball's Pickle Crisp? I might be able
to find it locally and it is supposedly quicker and less messy than my
tried and true method of liming cukes and tomatoes.

I've got the lime and the pickling salt ready, got plenty of dill seed,
beaucoup jars, lids, and rings and got my Ronco-Matic primed and ready
to slice.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 08:11:19 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Cuke crop is coming in pretty good and Miz Anne and I have a hunger for
>some hamburger dill pickles. So Easy and the Big Ball Book don't seem to
>have any recipes except for whole pickles. Anyone have a good, tried and
>true recipe for sliced dill pickles.

>George

My two step recipe for sliced dills:

1. Make whole dill pickles.
2. Slice as needed.

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Cook wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 08:11:19 -0500, George Shirley
> > wrote:
>
>> Cuke crop is coming in pretty good and Miz Anne and I have a hunger for
>> some hamburger dill pickles. So Easy and the Big Ball Book don't seem to
>> have any recipes except for whole pickles. Anyone have a good, tried and
>> true recipe for sliced dill pickles.
>>
>> Another question: Anyone ever use Ball's Pickle Crisp? I might be able
>> to find it locally and it is supposedly quicker and less messy than my
>> tried and true method of liming cukes and tomatoes.
>>
>> I've got the lime and the pickling salt ready, got plenty of dill seed,
>> beaucoup jars, lids, and rings and got my Ronco-Matic primed and ready
>> to slice.
>>
>> George

> If you find a recipe for dills that are crisp, please share. Mine
> always turn out limp.

Doing some reading on the subject and seems they're advocating the
addition of Ball's Pickle Quick or making limed pickles. I'm on the way
to the market as we seem to have run out of dill weed and dill seed. I'm
going to see if they have pickle quick.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> The Cook wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 08:11:19 -0500, George Shirley
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Cuke crop is coming in pretty good and Miz Anne and I have a hunger
>>> for some hamburger dill pickles. So Easy and the Big Ball Book don't
>>> seem to have any recipes except for whole pickles. Anyone have a
>>> good, tried and true recipe for sliced dill pickles.
>>>
>>> Another question: Anyone ever use Ball's Pickle Crisp? I might be
>>> able to find it locally and it is supposedly quicker and less messy
>>> than my tried and true method of liming cukes and tomatoes.
>>>
>>> I've got the lime and the pickling salt ready, got plenty of dill
>>> seed, beaucoup jars, lids, and rings and got my Ronco-Matic primed
>>> and ready to slice.
>>>
>>> George

>> If you find a recipe for dills that are crisp, please share. Mine
>> always turn out limp.

> Doing some reading on the subject and seems they're advocating the
> addition of Ball's Pickle Quick or making limed pickles. I'm on the way
> to the market as we seem to have run out of dill weed and dill seed. I'm
> going to see if they have pickle quick.

You can also use Epsom salts to crisp up the pickles. It doesn't work
as well as lime or calcium chloride, but it's cheap and easy.

Some home-brew supply shops sell USP calcium chloride. It's probably
cheaper than buying Ball Pickle Crisp premeasured packets.

One could make his own calcium acetate crisping solution by dissolving
as much pickling lime as possible in distilled vinegar, let it settle,
and use the clear solution to soak the cuke slices. No rinsing
required. (I haven't tried this one yet)

Are you gonna try making fermented dill pickles, or vinegar "quick" pickles?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message

> Another question: Anyone ever use Ball's Pickle Crisp? I might be able to
> find it locally and it is supposedly quicker and less messy than my tried
> and true method of liming cukes and tomatoes.

I've used Pickle Crisp. Hard for me to tell how well it worked since the
recipes I used were ones I'd never made without Pickle Crisp. However I
detected no off-taste in the pickles and they did seem to be crisper than
others I've had.

It comes in packets inside a box. The first year I used it, I used only
about half of a packet. Being basically cheap, I wrapped the partial packet
in plastic wrap, the kind with the glue inside it so it makes a really good
seal. I then stored it with my canning stuff in the basement.

The next year when I went to use the Pickle Crisp I discovered that the
partial packet had liquified. Never did figure out why that happened. The
plastic wrap must have been at least water-tight since the liquid hadn't
evaporated.

Anny

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Anny Middon wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> Another question: Anyone ever use Ball's Pickle Crisp? I might be able to
>> find it locally and it is supposedly quicker and less messy than my tried
>> and true method of liming cukes and tomatoes.
>>

> I've used Pickle Crisp. Hard for me to tell how well it worked since the
> recipes I used were ones I'd never made without Pickle Crisp. However I
> detected no off-taste in the pickles and they did seem to be crisper than
> others I've had.
>
> It comes in packets inside a box. The first year I used it, I used only
> about half of a packet. Being basically cheap, I wrapped the partial packet
> in plastic wrap, the kind with the glue inside it so it makes a really good
> seal. I then stored it with my canning stuff in the basement.
>
> The next year when I went to use the Pickle Crisp I discovered that the
> partial packet had liquified. Never did figure out why that happened. The
> plastic wrap must have been at least water-tight since the liquid hadn't
> evaporated.
>
> Anny

It adsorbed water out of the air and dissolved in that. It won't
evaporate even if you leave it open unless it is extraordinarily hot and
dry (not likely in a basement).

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
>> The Cook wrote:
>>> On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 08:11:19 -0500, George Shirley

>>> If you find a recipe for dills that are crisp, please share. Mine
>>> always turn out limp.

>> Doing some reading on the subject and seems they're advocating the
>> addition of Ball's Pickle Quick or making limed pickles. I'm on the
>> way to the market as we seem to have run out of dill weed and dill
>> seed. I'm going to see if they have pickle quick.

> You can also use Epsom salts to crisp up the pickles. It doesn't work
> as well as lime or calcium chloride, but it's cheap and easy.
>
> Some home-brew supply shops sell USP calcium chloride. It's probably
> cheaper than buying Ball Pickle Crisp premeasured packets.
>
> One could make his own calcium acetate crisping solution by dissolving
> as much pickling lime as possible in distilled vinegar, let it settle,
> and use the clear solution to soak the cuke slices. No rinsing
> required. (I haven't tried this one yet)
>
> Are you gonna try making fermented dill pickles, or vinegar "quick"
> pickles?
>
> Bob

I don't do fermented pickles Bob. Too blamed hot down here and they go
bad in 24 hours.

No Pickle Crisp anywhere in my shopping area. Guess I'll have to lime
the pickles this go round and order some Pickle Crisp for next batch.

Hot Garlic Dills Don S. Preserving 2 29-07-2012 09:34 PM
Limed hamburger dills George Shirley Preserving 10 22-06-2008 03:06 AM
Limed hamburger dills George Shirley Preserving 8 17-06-2008 03:08 PM
Deli Dills Kathi Jones Preserving 8 30-08-2007 02:26 AM
My kosher dills Biff General Cooking 12 19-08-2004 01:42 PM