Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default blackberry preserves (need recipe)

I would like to make blackberry and raspberry jam and am in need of a recipe
without pectin. I tried googling but keep finding recipes with pectin in
them. Any help!!

Thank

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article <tRIui.19279$J13.18851@trnddc02>,
"Kathleen Turner" > wrote:

> I would like to make blackberry and raspberry jam and am in need of a recipe
> without pectin. I tried googling but keep finding recipes with pectin in
> them. Any help!!
>
> Thank

Old-Fashion Berry Jam
(recipe from the Big Ball book)

9 cups crushed berries (black, blue, boysen,dew, goose, logan, rasp,
young, or combination thereof) -- Use about 1/3 slightly underripe
berries because they have more pectin than fully ripe.
6 cups granulated sugar

Combine and bring to boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
Boil until mixture thickens (220 deg F is the gel point, I believe).
Proceed to can according to accepted methods (boiling water bath).
Makes about 6 jars, says the book. I gotta think it makes more than
that.

Are you familiar with the NCHFP site, Kathleen? It's The Place To Be.
"-)

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_07/...ut_pectin.html

(They have different proportions in their blackberry jam recipe ‹ equal
parts berries and sugar.)

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp

Good luck.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Kathleen Turner" > wrote in message
> I would like to make blackberry and raspberry jam and am in need of a

recipe
> without pectin. I tried googling but keep finding recipes with pectin in
> them. Any help!!

Ah, unless your doing this for Macho Man's sake you really don't want to
do this.

You cannot make jam without pectin. Since you don't want to use
added pectin, you have to get it from somewhere. The historic place
to get it was from unripe fruit. Then you would boil the mixture at a
high boil to drive out most of the water until you basically boiled it down
to something not entirely unlike the consistency of road tar. That's how
your great grandmother made jam because they didn't have pectin in
convenient packets. Along the way, your going to destroy a lot of
the flavorants. Although that doesen't probably matter since unripe
blackberries are among the most acidic fruits you will encounter and
the jam is going to taste like jellied sulphuric acid. It's great for
getting
rid of that coated mouth feeling in the morning if you get hung over a
lot from heavy drinking, but not really very edible.

If you really have to do this, your best shot at making something that
has edible taste is to go to a u-pick place and pick unripe
rasberries, then go to the grocery store and buy blackberries. Commercial
blackberries are harvested from varieties that are designed to produce
humongous berries that are as sweet as possible, and unripe rasberries
do not nearly have as much acid as unripe blackberries.

Ted

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Aug 9, 1:15 pm, "Kathleen Turner" > wrote:
> I would like to make blackberry and raspberry jam and am in need of a recipe
> without pectin. I tried googling but keep finding recipes with pectin in
> them. Any help!!
>
> Thank

Hi,

I've made some blackberry jam from a recipe he
http://orangette.blogspot.com/2005/0...reserving.html

It's easily scalable. When I make it I use:

2 parts (by weight) blackberries
1 part (by weight) sugar
Juice from at least 1 lemon (I usually use about 1/4 c per 2 lb of
fruit)
Opt: 1/2 t unsalted butter to prevent foaming
Optional: lemon zest or lavender flowers (not too much, about 1 t per
2 lb of fruit)

1. Let fruit macerate with sugar for at least 1 hour and up to
overnight, stirring occasionally (if longer than 2 hours, in fridge).
2. Add lemon juice (and butter) and bring to a boil. Boil for 30
minutes, then start testing for gelling. (I usually add the lemon
zest or lavender in the middle of the boiling time).
3. When gelling point is reached, take off the heat and let sit for 5
minutes, stirring occasionally to evenly distribute fruit.
4. Pour into jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Process 10 minutes in
BWB.

The most berries I've used in one batch is about 4 lbs.

I've also used this recipe for strawberries, apricots, and plums. It
doesn't taste as fresh as jam with pectin, but it's got a very intense
flavor and color.

Libby

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Ann Ann is offline

Libby > expounded:

>I've also used this recipe for strawberries, apricots, and plums. It
>doesn't taste as fresh as jam with pectin, but it's got a very intense
>flavor and color.

Would it work with blueberries?
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Aug 12, 5:05 pm, Ann > wrote:
> Libby > expounded:
>

> >I've also used this recipe for strawberries, apricots, and plums. It
> >doesn't taste as fresh as jam with pectin, but it's got a very intense
> >flavor and color.

> Would it work with blueberries?
> --
> Ann
> e-mail address is not checked

I think it will work with blueberries although I have not tried it.
If you try it, let me know how it turns out!

Libby