Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Freezing canned goods.

Went to Costco business warehouse and purchased a few giant gallon size cans
of peaches, pineapples and apples. There is only two of us and no way could
we finish any one can before it spoils so what is the a good and safe way to
preserve the remaining portion? TIA

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Jack wrote:
> Went to Costco business warehouse and purchased a few giant gallon size cans
> of peaches, pineapples and apples. There is only two of us and no way could
> we finish any one can before it spoils so what is the a good and safe way to
> preserve the remaining portion? TIA

I've had home-canned pears freeze accidentally (left in the garage over
winter) and when I thawed them they were still good but *very* soft --
almost mushy.

The pineapples will probably fare better than my pears did. You can
certainly try freezing any and all of them. It will keep them from
spoiling but will change the texture.

Try eating the peaches while still mostly frozen. They may need just a
little lemon juice to offset the sweetness of the syrup.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Feb 3, 10:36 pm, "Jack" > wrote:
> Went to Costco business warehouse and purchased a few giant gallon size cans
> of peaches, pineapples and apples. There is only two of us and no way could
> we finish any one can before it spoils so what is the a good and safe way to
> preserve the remaining portion? TIA

Why not try making sorbet out of it?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"parrotheada1a" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Feb 3, 10:36 pm, "Jack" > wrote:
>> Went to Costco business warehouse and purchased a few giant gallon size
>> cans
>> of peaches, pineapples and apples. There is only two of us and no way
>> could
>> we finish any one can before it spoils so what is the a good and safe way
>> preserve the remaining portion? TIA

> Why not try making sorbet out of it?

Lovely idea. Uh, would jam work?

Loki