Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default source of paraffin

I've googled and yahoo'd but can't seem to find a cheap source of bulk
paraffin. Something in, say, 10-pound blocks.

Any ideas?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 03:28:05 GMT, "Ralph K. Compton" > wrote:

>I've googled and yahoo'd but can't seem to find a cheap source of bulk
>paraffin. Something in, say, 10-pound blocks.
>
>Any ideas?

http://www.georgies.com/GCC-Shop-Page-190.htm
-------------------------
Scooter
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ralph K. Compton wrote:
> I've googled and yahoo'd but can't seem to find a cheap source of bulk
> paraffin. Something in, say, 10-pound blocks.
>
> Any ideas?

Just out of sheer curiosity, what are you going to use it for?
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Wax bullets for indoor (and outdoor) target practice. Remember the old
(1950's) "fast draw" competitions that were born of the T.V. Westerns?

http://www.sassnet.com/

Ralph

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Check local hobby shops, like Hobby Lobby
Connie TC
Ralph K. Compton wrote:
> Wax bullets for indoor (and outdoor) target practice. Remember the old
> (1950's) "fast draw" competitions that were born of the T.V. Westerns?
>
> http://www.sassnet.com/
>
> Ralph

Posted to rec.food.preserving

ellen wickberg wrote:
> Ralph K. Compton wrote:
>
>> I've googled and yahoo'd but can't seem to find a cheap source of bulk
>> paraffin. Something in, say, 10-pound blocks.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> Just out of sheer curiosity, what are you going to use it for?
> Ellen

Since he also posted on rec.guns he's probably going to make indoor
practice bullets from the wax. Fired in revolvers using a primer only
and no bullets. Used to shoot targets in the fireplace to stay in
practice myself. Taught the wife and kids how to shoot handguns that
way. Not to noisy and very little danger unless you were close to the
business end of the handgun.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Yep! Yer right on target. It is possible to shoot wax bullets in
automatics too, just have to cycle the slide manually.

Ralph

http://www.sassnet.com/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ralph K. Compton wrote:
> I've googled and yahoo'd but can't seem to find a cheap source of bulk
> paraffin. Something in, say, 10-pound blocks.
>
> Any ideas?

"Gulf wax" is available at most grocery stores in the canning supplies
aisle for people who don't know any better ;-)

Candle wax, either from melting down cheap candles or in bulk at Michaels
or Hobby Lobby (etc) is probably cheaper per pound. OTOh, the Gulf wax is
probably already an appropriately sized block.

Mix a little Vaseline (maybe lard or Crisco would work) with the wax to
make it more flexible and to reduce the cost per pound.

I might have to try this myself when I get some time -- remodeling the
bathroom is consuming my life right now.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ralph K. Compton wrote:
> Wax bullets for indoor (and outdoor) target practice. Remember the old
> (1950's) "fast draw" competitions that were born of the T.V. Westerns?
>
> http://www.sassnet.com/
>
> Ralph

Here you can usually still buy it at large grocery stores.
Ellen

Posted to rec.food.preserving

I remember my grandmother using paraffin when canning boysenberry preserves.
Back then I think more people did that sort of thing out here, as it was
more likely they had a garden and grew food. Now is different. Many
children around here don't realize where their food comes from. (the
market, right?)

I can get the 1# blocks of Gulf wax at the local supermarket. Don't recall
the price but at this point that's probably where I'm going to get it.
Later on I might want to be able to purchase larger quantities.

Thanks, Ralph

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ralph K. Compton wrote:

> I remember my grandmother using paraffin when canning boysenberry
> preserves.

That's not a recommended procedure now.

I found out why when the seals broke on one of the few 100+ days here
and most of my strawberry preserves got moldy.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving
cbx cbx is offline

Do you use just the primer or put some powder in the cartridge?
Any info on how to fabricate and load such rounds, sounds
interesting for practice in ones yard.

Jim

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:07:49 GMT, "Ralph K. Compton"
> wrote:

>Wax bullets for indoor (and outdoor) target practice. Remember the old
>(1950's) "fast draw" competitions that were born of the T.V. Westerns?
>
>http://www.sassnet.com/
>
>Ralph

Posted to rec.food.preserving

cbx wrote:
> Do you use just the primer or put some powder in the cartridge?
> Any info on how to fabricate and load such rounds, sounds
> interesting for practice in ones yard.
>
> Jim
>

> On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:07:49 GMT, "Ralph K. Compton"
> > wrote:
>
>> Wax bullets for indoor (and outdoor) target practice. Remember the old
>> (1950's) "fast draw" competitions that were born of the T.V. Westerns?
>>
>> http://www.sassnet.com/
>>
>> Ralph

Just a primer. You "cookie cutter" the wax into place. I'm not sure if
you resize the cases first, or if it matters.

You might have to drill the flash holes out a little larger to keep the
primers from backing out when they are fired. (the resulting high primer
will jam against the gun frame and it can be hard to clear it.)

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

I've heard, too, that you should permanently mark the cases with the
enlarged flash holes so that they won't be accidentally used with
conventional loads.

Ralph

Posted to rec.food.preserving

I have read one "recipe" that calls for melting the wax in a shallow pan,
setting the deprimed cases mouth-down in the wax, and letting the whole
thing harden. Then push and twist to remove the cases, add primer, voila.

I understand paraffin melts at a pretty low temp so I was contemplating
melting the wax in the microwave in one of those plastic trays that instant
dinners come in. I think I only have to get it to the consistency of
jelly, not syruppy (sic?). Don't know if this is a bad idea or not,
haven't checked with the wife yet.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

contact local supplier of oil/lubricants. Paraffin oils is known also
as vaseline oil or white oil, it is used for lubrication and
pharmaceutical purposes, as well as in home winemaking.
Ralph K. Compton wrote:
> I've googled and yahoo'd but can't seem to find a cheap source of bulk
> paraffin. Something in, say, 10-pound blocks.
>
> Any ideas?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

cbx wrote:
> Do you use just the primer or put some powder in the cartridge?
> Any info on how to fabricate and load such rounds, sounds
> interesting for practice in ones yard.
>
> Jim
>

> On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:07:49 GMT, "Ralph K. Compton"
> > wrote:
>
>> Wax bullets for indoor (and outdoor) target practice. Remember the old
>> (1950's) "fast draw" competitions that were born of the T.V. Westerns?
>>
>> http://www.sassnet.com/
>>
>> Ralph

Back in college, a fraternity brother put wax in a .45 that he had
pulled the lead from. He fired it from about 5' at the wall and put a
hole through the sheetrock. Hit cinder blocks after that, so not sure
how much it would penetrate. We were all quite surprised.

--

><<XX>:> Buddy

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default OT: source of paraffin

In article >,
says...
> cbx wrote:
> > Do you use just the primer or put some powder in the cartridge?
> > Any info on how to fabricate and load such rounds, sounds
> > interesting for practice in ones yard.
> >
> > Jim
> >

> > On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:07:49 GMT, "Ralph K. Compton"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Wax bullets for indoor (and outdoor) target practice. Remember the old
> >> (1950's) "fast draw" competitions that were born of the T.V. Westerns?

http://www.sassnet.com/

> >> Ralph
> >>

> Back in college, a fraternity brother put wax in a .45 that he had
> pulled the lead from. He fired it from about 5' at the wall and put a
> hole through the sheetrock. Hit cinder blocks after that, so not sure
> how much it would penetrate. We were all quite surprised.

Just curious: was it an semi-auto or revolver? If semi-auto, do you
recall if the action cycled?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

yetanotherBob wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>> cbx wrote:
>>> Do you use just the primer or put some powder in the cartridge?
>>> Any info on how to fabricate and load such rounds, sounds
>>> interesting for practice in ones yard.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>

>>> On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:07:49 GMT, "Ralph K. Compton"

http://www.sassnet.com/

>> Back in college, a fraternity brother put wax in a .45 that he had
>> pulled the lead from. He fired it from about 5' at the wall and put a
>> hole through the sheetrock. Hit cinder blocks after that, so not sure
>> how much it would penetrate. We were all quite surprised.
>>

> Just curious: was it an semi-auto or revolver? If semi-auto, do you
> recall if the action cycled?
>
> Bob

It was an old 1911 Colt style. I'm not sure about cycling, but I think
he kept some of the powder in the load. I only saw him fire it and
didn't see him make the round.

--

><<XX>:> Buddy

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ralph K. Compton wrote:
> I've googled and yahoo'd but can't seem to find a cheap source of bulk
> paraffin. Something in, say, 10-pound blocks.
>
> Any ideas?

TRY

<http://www.loebglebeonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=6339900006&C ategory_Code=Baking+Supplies>

Cooks Source anyone? Goro[_2_] General Cooking 0 04-11-2010 09:03 PM
looking for a source enigma[_2_] General Cooking 7 31-01-2008 01:27 AM
Source of Tea Quote [email protected] Tea 0 04-12-2007 09:59 PM
Source Sheldon General Cooking 1 06-12-2006 07:42 PM
MLF Source Joe Winemaking 3 13-09-2005 07:15 PM