Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default REC Brandied Pears

Great stuff & good with any sort of fruit, I think. I did with
cherries.
Edrena

From the Ball Blue Book, 1999:
Brandied Pears
yield 4 quarts
10 pounds pears
6 cups sugar
4 cups water
3 cups brandy
Wash, peel, halve & core pears. Combine sugar and water in a large
sauce pot; bring to a boil. Cook pear sin syrup one layer at a time
until just tender, about 5 minutes. Place cooked pears in a large
boil; set aside. After all pears are cooked, continue cooking syrup
until thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; add brandy. Pack
pears into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Ladle hot syrup over
pears, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust
two-piece caps. Process 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
Note: Use white brandy for a clear syrup; however, any brandy will
flavor the fruit.
[I used peach flavored brandy with the pears- it was wonderful-ej]

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:

> From the Ball Blue Book, 1999:
> Brandied Pears ...
> Wash, peel, halve & core pears. Combine sugar and water in a large
> sauce pot; bring to a boil. Cook pear sin syrup one layer at a time

"...Cook pear sin syrup one layer at a time..."
should be
"...Cook pears in syrup one layer at a time..."
Sin syrup - leave it to me to invent such. My mama would be mortified. Or
intrigued, one.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:
> The Joneses wrote:
>
> > From the Ball Blue Book, 1999:
> > Brandied Pears ...
> > Wash, peel, halve & core pears. Combine sugar and water in a large
> > sauce pot; bring to a boil. Cook pear sin syrup one layer at a time

> "...Cook pear sin syrup one layer at a time..."
> should be
> "...Cook pears in syrup one layer at a time..."
> Sin syrup - leave it to me to invent such. My mama would be mortified. Or
> intrigued, one.
> Edrena

Edrena
Thanks ever so much for the recipe- I'll let you know how I get on.
First of all I need to get a cup measurer!! They must exist in the
UK........
Sarah

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Sarah" > wrote in message > Thanks ever so
much for the recipe- I'll let you know how I get on.
> First of all I need to get a cup measurer!! They must exist in the
> UK........

In any supermarket

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Sarah wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
> > The Joneses wrote:
> >
> > > From the Ball Blue Book, 1999:
> > > Brandied Pears ...
> > > Wash, peel, halve & core pears. Combine sugar and water in a large
> > > sauce pot; bring to a boil. Cook pear sin syrup one layer at a time

> > "...Cook pear sin syrup one layer at a time..."
> > should be
> > "...Cook pears in syrup one layer at a time..."
> > Sin syrup - leave it to me to invent such. My mama would be mortified. Or
> > intrigued, one.
> > Edrena

> Edrena
> Thanks ever so much for the recipe- I'll let you know how I get on.
> First of all I need to get a cup measurer!! They must exist in the
> UK........
> Sarah

250 ml, sweetie. Or I can post this in metric if you wish.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Sarah" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> Thanks ever so much for the recipe- I'll let you know how I get on.
> First of all I need to get a cup measurer!! They must exist in the
> UK........

No need. Four cups of water is about a liter. The ratio is 3/4 as much
brandy as water and 3/2 as much sugar as water.

So:

1 liter water
1.5 liter sugar
750 ml. brandy

Anny

Brandied carrots koko General Cooking 10 16-10-2008 04:26 AM
A warning about them Brandied Pears The Joneses[_1_] Preserving 35 19-04-2007 10:39 PM
Brandied Pears - Should I re-process Deb Hardison Preserving 5 05-09-2006 04:09 PM
Brandied Cherries The Joneses Preserving 14 17-07-2004 09:19 AM
huge head space in my brandied pears Dr. Richard E. Hawkins Preserving 12 06-10-2003 10:50 PM