homeboy3

Default Chicken Salad Tostadas - Mexican style

A while back I had a delicious chicken salad "Mexican-style" I think it
had mayo, sour cream, peas, carrots, chicken and whatelse???

She had us top the salad on a tostada, then a layer of cabbage/greens, the
chicken salad, then a drizzling of her yummy spicy salsa. What a great
summer dinner, glass of Modelo Negro ... paradise.

It was delicious but alas the cook would not part with the recipe.

Does anyone have this authentic recipe...? No "gringo" salad recipe with a
jar of taco bell/tostito salsa thrown in please.

You'll are great...thanks for the help.

hb3

Wayne Lundberg

"homeboy3" > wrote in message
> A while back I had a delicious chicken salad "Mexican-style" I think it
> had mayo, sour cream, peas, carrots, chicken and whatelse???
>
> She had us top the salad on a tostada, then a layer of cabbage/greens, the
> chicken salad, then a drizzling of her yummy spicy salsa. What a great
> summer dinner, glass of Modelo Negro ... paradise.
>

> It was delicious but alas the cook would not part with the recipe.
>

> Does anyone have this authentic recipe...? No "gringo" salad recipe with

> jar of taco bell/tostito salsa thrown in please.
>
> You'll are great...thanks for the help.
>

> hb3

Tostadas are my favorite of all Mexican antojitos. Please don't be offended
by what I am about to say, but Mexican food as prepared and served in the
country of Mexico, is bland. The person who takes the taco or tostada from
the cook, waiter, kitchen takes a bland, no chile, no salsa dish to the
place where they will eat it. At that place there will be a selection of
red, green, pickiled, powdered or otherwise condiments to be added to the
food in accordance to the eater's taste. So when you say please refrain from
offering a bottled salsa or the like to add to your tostada you have
violated 'authentic' Mexican food culture. Again, forgive me, I don't want
to be a snob. So please let me add something to your quest for the greatest
tostada ever.

A tostada, traditionally, starts with a deep fried corn tortilla, white
corn. The first thing 'usually' put on it is to laddle on some refried
beans, then the chicken or chitlins or deep fried pork, or cactus
(nopalitos) or whatever you want as the filler. Then you add sliced avocado,
whatever chile salsa you really like and then lettuce, or cilantro, or
cabbage, or whatever turns you on. Mayo is sometimes used when Mexican sour
cream is not available. I like to sprinkle Parmesano cheese when all is
done.

The beauty of the tostada, and tacos, is that you have an infinite variety
of stuff you can put on them or in them.

Wayne
See the exploratory concept of 'authentic' Mexican food at the bottom of the
page at www.pueblaprotocol.com and add your comments for insertion into the
discussion.

Lewzephyr

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:03:38 GMT, I needed a babel fish to understand
homeboy3 > :

>She had us top the salad on a tostada, then a layer of cabbage/greens, the
>chicken salad, then a drizzling of her yummy spicy salsa. What a great
>summer dinner, glass of Modelo Negro ... paradise.

Lurker here... just had to say... Negro Modelo is one of my most
favorite beers.... shame im here at work... the mention of it made my
mouth water.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is
indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke
Rolly

Here is another version of the todtada served for lunch.

http://rollybrook.com/tostadas.htm

Wayne Lundberg

"Rolly" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Here is another version of the todtada served for lunch.
>
> http://rollybrook.com/tostadas.htm

Absolutely fantastic!
My only suggestion is that you save the pineapple skins in water with a bit
of sugar and let it ferment for about three days. Then drink with some ice.
It's called Tepache in the Veracruz area I'm more familiar with.

Wayne in Chula Vista
www.pueblaprotocol.com