krusty kritter

Default Pollo en Cacahuete (Chicken in Spicy Peanut Sauce)

I've read that spicy dishes containing peanuts make one gain weight.
I've heard of Indonesian dishes that use peanuts, but I suppose they
use fresh ginger to make them spicy...

Gawd help me, here goes:

Pollo en Cacahuete (Chicken in Spicy Peanut Sauce)

Ingredientes: (Ingredients
6 piezas de pollo (6 pieces of chicken)
2 jitomates crudos partidos (2 raw tomatoes, cut up)
1/2 cebolla (1/2 onion)
1/2 tasa de cacahuetes limpios (1/2 a cup of cleaned peanuts)
1 diente de ajo (1 clove of garlic)
1 rebanada de pan (1 slice of bread)
1 chile ancho desvenado (1 deveined ancho chile)
1 rajita de canela ( 1 something of cinnamon)
1 cucharadita de azucar (1 teaspoon of sugar)
2 cucharadas de consomme de polvo (2 tablespoons of powdered soup)
1/2 cucharada de sal (1/2 a tablespoon of salt)
6 cucharadas de aceite de oliva (6 tablespoons of olive oil)
2 tazas de agua (2 cups of water)

Preparacion: (Preparation

Ponga a marinarse las piezas de pollo con un poco del sal, pimienta, y
3 cucharadas de aceite de oliva.

(Marinate the pieces of chicken with a little salt, pepper and 3
tablespoons of olive oil.)

Aparte fria con 3 cucharadas de aceite de oliva el cacahuete, el
jitomate, el ajo, la cebolla, el pan, la canela y el chile ancho.

(Fry the peanuts, tomato, garlic, onion, bread, cinnamon and the ancho
chile separately in 3 tablespoons of olive oil. The author does mention
when to add the sugar. It might stick in the pan.)

Licue todos los ingredientes con el agua.

(Blend all those ingredients with water. I suppose that may be a good
time to add the sugar.)

Fria el pollo para dorarse sin ponerle mas aceite para que dore rapido
moviendolo constantemente para que no se pegue.

(Fry the chicken to quickly make it golden without putting more oil in
the pan, moving the chicken constantly so it won't stick.)

Anada la mezcla de cacahuate, y dos cucharadas de consomme de pollo.

(Add the spicy peanut sauce and 2 tablespoons of powdered soup.)

Dejelo a fuego lento hasta que el pollo esta cocido approximadamente
45 minutos.

(Leave over a slow fire until the chicken is cooked approximately 45
minutes.)

I find chunks of peanuts slow to digest and they bother my stomach.
But I love peanut butter. I'm going to make this recipe with 1/3rd of a
cup of creamy peanut butter instead. Should I fry the peanut butter, or
add the peanut butter to the spicy sauce in the blending stage? Will
the peanut butter make a mess in the blender?

Paul Covey

krusty kritter wrote:
> I've read that spicy dishes containing peanuts make one gain weight.
> I've heard of Indonesian dishes that use peanuts, but I suppose they
> use fresh ginger to make them spicy...
>
> I find chunks of peanuts slow to digest and they bother my stomach.
> But I love peanut butter. I'm going to make this recipe with 1/3rd of a
> cup of creamy peanut butter instead. Should I fry the peanut butter, or
> add the peanut butter to the spicy sauce in the blending stage? Will
> the peanut butter make a mess in the blender?

First, peanuts in moderation are actually excellent for health and diet
- great for good/bad cholesterol, I believe, and excellent protein, a
very healty snack. However, we're talking about having a few handfuls,
not half a jar, which isn't easy for me at least, as it's like that ad
where "you can't eat just one".

Obviously the peanuts don't make dishes spicy (and ginger just adds
flavor). I don't see where this becomes spicy, except possibly for the
ancho chile. I cook Thai and Chinese dishes also, and when peanuts are
used, it's always dry red chiles that add the heat. So if you want this
hot/spicy, I'd add arbols along with the ancho. To me, recipes are just
a starting outline, though I do get nervous when I don't know the
ingredients like my recent chile question.

A Thai dish, Chicken Satay, which I love, uses peanut butter. Among the
many ingredients, it has coconut milk as well as peanut butter, and you
do have to stir a lot to make sure it doesn't stick. So it would seem
that waiting until the blending stage would make sense since you will
still be cooking after you add the water/peanut butter, and it won't
(shouldn't) make a mess in the processor or blender with all that water.

A Chinese dish that uses peanuts is Kung Po chicken. Again, it gets its
heat from red chiles. Just some examples.

By the way, I love the recipes you are posting these days (they are
being added to my computer cookbook) and thank you for the English
translations.

Paul
Old Magic1

"Paul Covey" > wrote in message

krusty kritter wrote:
> I've read that spicy dishes containing peanuts make one gain weight.
> I've heard of Indonesian dishes that use peanuts, but I suppose they
> use fresh ginger to make them spicy...
>
> I find chunks of peanuts slow to digest and they bother my stomach.
> But I love peanut butter. I'm going to make this recipe with 1/3rd of a
> cup of creamy peanut butter instead. Should I fry the peanut butter, or
> add the peanut butter to the spicy sauce in the blending stage? Will
> the peanut butter make a mess in the blender?

First, peanuts in moderation are actually excellent for health and diet
- great for good/bad cholesterol, I believe, and excellent protein, a
very healty snack. However, we're talking about having a few handfuls,
not half a jar, which isn't easy for me at least, as it's like that ad
where "you can't eat just one".

Obviously the peanuts don't make dishes spicy (and ginger just adds
flavor). I don't see where this becomes spicy, except possibly for the
ancho chile. I cook Thai and Chinese dishes also, and when peanuts are
used, it's always dry red chiles that add the heat. So if you want this
hot/spicy, I'd add arbols along with the ancho. To me, recipes are just
a starting outline, though I do get nervous when I don't know the
ingredients like my recent chile question.

A Thai dish, Chicken Satay, which I love, uses peanut butter. Among the
many ingredients, it has coconut milk as well as peanut butter, and you
do have to stir a lot to make sure it doesn't stick. So it would seem
that waiting until the blending stage would make sense since you will
still be cooking after you add the water/peanut butter, and it won't
(shouldn't) make a mess in the processor or blender with all that water.

A Chinese dish that uses peanuts is Kung Po chicken. Again, it gets its
heat from red chiles. Just some examples.

Indonesian dishes containing peanuts, A Thai dish, Chicken Satay and A
Chinese dish, Kung Po chicken.
Hmmm, Uh Oh :} Here it comes ;}

Who Knows What Evil Lurks in the Hearts of Men?
For The Shadow knows!
The Shadow himself is, in reality, Kent Allard, internationally famous
aviator and A1 Hot Foods Entrepreneur.
No matter what the crime, no matter how diabolical the plan, justice will
triumph.
alt.food.mexican-cooking NG Crime does not pay!
The Shadow knows!

(The Interrogation !!)
Are you, or are you not, the same person as A1?
Better still, how about just, yes or no?
"Do you actually expect the truth", Jim asked sourly?
"I'm giving him the chance, and I hope he will take it", the heavely
sweating NG cop named David said to his partner.
Are you the same person as A1?
Slap! Bing! Bang! Pow!
Grinning widely, he answers.
"Now wouldn't that ruin a good mystery" ;}
--
Old Magic 1

By the way, I love the recipes you are posting these days (they are
being added to my computer cookbook) and thank you for the English
translations.

Paul

Paul Covey

Old Magic1 wrote:

> "Paul Covey" > wrote in message
>

> krusty kritter wrote:
>
>>I've read that spicy dishes containing peanuts make one gain weight.
>>I've heard of Indonesian dishes that use peanuts, but I suppose they
>>use fresh ginger to make them spicy...

>>I'm going to make this recipe with 1/3rd of a
>>cup of creamy peanut butter instead. Should I fry the peanut butter, or
>>add the peanut butter to the spicy sauce in the blending stage? Will
>>the peanut butter make a mess in the blender?
>>

> Old Magic1:
> Indonesian dishes containing peanuts, A Thai dish, Chicken Satay and A
> Chinese dish, Kung Po chicken.
> Hmmm, Uh Oh :} Here it comes ;}
>
> Who Knows What Evil Lurks in the Hearts of Men?
> For The Shadow knows!
> The Shadow himself is, in reality, Kent Allard, internationally famous
> aviator and A1 Hot Foods Entrepreneur.
> No matter what the crime, no matter how diabolical the plan, justice will
> triumph.
> alt.food.mexican-cooking NG Crime does not pay!
> The Shadow knows!
>
> (The Interrogation !!)
> Are you, or are you not, the same person as A1?
> Better still, how about just, yes or no?
> "Do you actually expect the truth", Jim asked sourly?
> "I'm giving him the chance, and I hope he will take it", the heavely
> sweating NG cop named David said to his partner.
> Are you the same person as A1?
> Slap! Bing! Bang! Pow!
> Grinning widely, he answers.
> "Now wouldn't that ruin a good mystery" ;}

Don't know what you are getting at, Old Magic, as I wasn't posting OT
recipes, just answering questions Krusty had about peanuts and peanut
butter sticking in blender based on my experience cooking other food.

I never was part of the identity questioning, though I sure questioned
some of your OT recipes. But now I'm even more unimpressed.
Paul
Old Magic1

"Paul Covey" > wrote in message

Old Magic1 wrote:

> "Paul Covey" > wrote in message
>

> krusty kritter wrote:
>
>>I've read that spicy dishes containing peanuts make one gain weight.
>>I've heard of Indonesian dishes that use peanuts, but I suppose they
>>use fresh ginger to make them spicy...

>>I'm going to make this recipe with 1/3rd of a
>>cup of creamy peanut butter instead. Should I fry the peanut butter, or
>>add the peanut butter to the spicy sauce in the blending stage? Will
>>the peanut butter make a mess in the blender?
>>

> Old Magic1:
> Indonesian dishes containing peanuts, A Thai dish, Chicken Satay and A
> Chinese dish, Kung Po chicken.
> Hmmm, Uh Oh :} Here it comes ;}
>
> Who Knows What Evil Lurks in the Hearts of Men?
> For The Shadow knows!
> The Shadow himself is, in reality, Kent Allard, internationally famous
> aviator and A1 Hot Foods Entrepreneur.
> No matter what the crime, no matter how diabolical the plan, justice will
> triumph.
> alt.food.mexican-cooking NG Crime does not pay!
> The Shadow knows!
>
> (The Interrogation !!)
> Are you, or are you not, the same person as A1?
> Better still, how about just, yes or no?
> "Do you actually expect the truth", Jim asked sourly?
> "I'm giving him the chance, and I hope he will take it", the heavely
> sweating NG cop named David said to his partner.
> Are you the same person as A1?
> Slap! Bing! Bang! Pow!
> Grinning widely, he answers.
> "Now wouldn't that ruin a good mystery" ;}

Don't know what you are getting at, Old Magic, as I wasn't posting OT
recipes, just answering questions Krusty had about peanuts and peanut
butter sticking in blender based on my experience cooking other food.

I never was part of the identity questioning, though I sure questioned
some of your OT recipes. But now I'm even more unimpressed.
Paul

You have my genuine apology. It was not you or krusty kritter I was picking
at, but rather those that flame at the slightest mention of non-Mexican
products or foods. It was also just an attempt at off the wall humor. I try
to keep a lighter, less serious attitude when it comes to NG postings and I
never try to impress anyone. I think the best part of a NG of this nature,
is to have fun and talk about food and the eating that follows the cooking.
I'm just an everyday guy that enjoys ordinary cooking and if I can learn a
few things to make cooking easier or answer a question someone poses, then
that's great. I'm no chef or writer of cook books, but I have been cooking
and collecting recipes for over 50 years and even a blind squirrel can find
an acorn or two in that many years.
--
Old Magic 1

krusty kritter

Paul Covey wrote:

> I cook Thai and Chinese dishes also, and when peanuts are
> used, it's always dry red chiles that add the heat. So if
> you want this hot/spicy, I'd add arbols along with the ancho

I made the Pollo en Cacahuete last night, using one dried ancho chile
that I soaked overnight. I used about 1/3rd of a cup of creamy peanut
butter instead of the peanuts. It was very good, only slightly spicy,
and the amount of ingredients used in the sauce was more than adequate,
I still have half the sauce and can make another batch of chicken with
it...

The sauce tasted so good, I thought about making big batches of it,
canning it and selling it commercially ;-)

> So it would seem that waiting until the blending stage would
> make sense since you will still be cooking after you add
> the water/peanut butter, and it won't (shouldn't) make a mess
> in the processor or blender with all that water.

I found that the tomatoes, garlic, onions, etc. that I fried up in the
pan were plenty hot and I used hot water for the two cups of water
specified, so when I blended the peanut butter it didn't make a mess of
the blender as I had feared...

I used an instant chicken soup containing MSG for the "consomme en
polvo" specified in the recipe, and I wondered about the
flavor-enhancing properties of MSG vs. the flavoring-extracting
characteristics of salt, which drags the juices right out of meat and
vegtable into the sauce...

Next time I make this recipe, I will look for "consomme en polvo" that
doesn't have MSG in it. I probably won't find any that doesn't have MSG
in it, though...