Paul Covey

Default Question about chiles

The recipe I'm cooking this weekend calls for 2 arbol, 2 pasilla, and 2
ancho chiles. My store has arbols, but not the other two. They do have
mulato, casteno, anaheim, chipotle (not appropriate I'm sure as smoky),
cascabel, and habanero.

A website I looked at gives mulatos as a substitute for both pasillas
and anchos, meaning I could double them instead of using two kinds. I
was just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions from what is
available, probably for the pasillas especially, as the website has
mulato as a more direct substitute for ancho.

Thanks in advance.
Paul
David Wright

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 20:06:28 GMT, Paul Covey > wrote:

>The recipe I'm cooking this weekend calls for 2 arbol, 2 pasilla, and 2
>ancho chiles. My store has arbols, but not the other two. They do have
>mulato, casteno, anaheim, chipotle (not appropriate I'm sure as smoky),
>cascabel, and habanero.
>
>A website I looked at gives mulatos as a ...

>Thanks in advance.
>Paul

I think anyone who writes a recipe that includes chiles that must be
used lives in a place where those chiles are.

Please, Paul, make it your own recipe by using the dried chiles you
can get locally. Go to the store and buy a combination of what smells
good to you right now.

Or, buy samples of as many kinds as you want and soak them in hot
water, taste them, and then combine them as you see fit. Whatever
happens, it's up to you.

David

In article >,
Paul Covey > wrote:
>The recipe I'm cooking this weekend calls for 2 arbol, 2 pasilla, and 2
>ancho chiles. My store has arbols, but not the other two. They do have
>mulato, casteno, anaheim, chipotle (not appropriate I'm sure as smoky),
>cascabel, and habanero.
>
>A website I looked at gives mulatos as a substitute for both pasillas
>and anchos, meaning I could double them instead of using two kinds. I
>was just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions from what is
>available, probably for the pasillas especially, as the website has
>mulato as a more direct substitute for ancho.

Hi Paul. The Cascabels will be close to the Pasillas, and the Mulatos
will be so close to the Ancho (a tad less sweetness perhaps) that the
fidelity of the recipe IMHO will stay intact. What are you cooking
anyway? (hint)

Regards,

Johann