Art Sackett

krusty kritter > wrote:

> A "wrap" is a symbol of yuppie decadence, denying traditional Mexican
> cuisine in favor of a lithe physique...

Oh! I live in a place where yuppies don't hang around long and so
aren't catered to.

One of 'em pulled up to the drive-up window of the liquor store where
I used to spend two nights a week (my "hobby job") asking for
directions to the nearest McDonald's. I told him, "Go out of the
parking lot, turn left, and it'll be on your right in about 45 miles.
You can't miss it."

"Four or five miles, you say?"

"No, forty-five miles."

"FORTY-FIVE MILES?!?!"

"Yep."

"Howzabout Burker King?"

"Go out of the parking lot, turn right, and at the traffic signal, turn
right. It's about 50 miles to the traffic light, another two miles or so
to the Burger King."

"Okay, so where can a guy get a hamburger around here?"

"Two blocks east, on the right. The drive-up window's on the right, but
it's unmarked. You'll find it."

> You may define "traditional" as you please...

:-) Don't we all?

> Eschewing any ingredients that might increase the size of the love
> handles or enhance the spare tire, the yuppie "wrap" uses only the
> flour tortilla to enfold the ingredients of the more fattening
> traditional burrito...
>
> Anything can go into a wrap...

Now I know, and I think I'll be avoiding them if ever I encounter a
place that offers them for sale. I assume that many people enjoy them,
but, for my money, if it's wrapped in a flour tortilla it'd better have
something deliciously fattening in it.

Thanks for the information, and for reminding me why it was that I
escaped from southern California, where I grew up, as soon as I was
able.

--
Art Sackett,
Patron Saint of Drunken Fornication
Art Sackett

krusty kritter > wrote:

> A "wrap" is a symbol of yuppie decadence, denying traditional Mexican
> cuisine in favor of a lithe physique...

Oh! I live in a place where yuppies don't hang around long and so
aren't catered to.

One of 'em pulled up to the drive-up window of the liquor store where
I used to spend two nights a week (my "hobby job") asking for
directions to the nearest McDonald's. I told him, "Go out of the
parking lot, turn left, and it'll be on your right in about 45 miles.
You can't miss it."

"Four or five miles, you say?"

"No, forty-five miles."

"FORTY-FIVE MILES?!?!"

"Yep."

"Howzabout Burker King?"

"Go out of the parking lot, turn right, and at the traffic signal, turn
right. It's about 50 miles to the traffic light, another two miles or so
to the Burger King."

"Okay, so where can a guy get a hamburger around here?"

"Two blocks east, on the right. The drive-up window's on the right, but
it's unmarked. You'll find it."

> You may define "traditional" as you please...

:-) Don't we all?

> Eschewing any ingredients that might increase the size of the love
> handles or enhance the spare tire, the yuppie "wrap" uses only the
> flour tortilla to enfold the ingredients of the more fattening
> traditional burrito...
>
> Anything can go into a wrap...

Now I know, and I think I'll be avoiding them if ever I encounter a
place that offers them for sale. I assume that many people enjoy them,
but, for my money, if it's wrapped in a flour tortilla it'd better have
something deliciously fattening in it.

Thanks for the information, and for reminding me why it was that I
escaped from southern California, where I grew up, as soon as I was
able.

--
Art Sackett,
Patron Saint of Drunken Fornication
BillB

On 10 Jan 2005 16:52:20 GMT, Art Sackett wrote:

> Now I know, and I think I'll be avoiding them if ever I encounter a
> place that offers them for sale. I assume that many people enjoy them,
> but, for my money, if it's wrapped in a flour tortilla it'd better have
> something deliciously fattening in it.

A "pastrami wrap, side o' gwock" would be deliciously fattening,
whether the wrap is eaten or tossed. More properly made with rye
bread (which contributes an relatively insignificant amount to the
total calorie count*, as would the yuppie wrap) which helps to
absorb a bit of excess grease (better tasting than if lean pastrami
is used), it's more traditional to add spicy mustard with perhaps
some cole slaw on the side or on the sandwich. It's also common for
people to add Russian or Thousand Island dressing. I don't, but I'd
be willing to try guacamole, which would seem to serve a similar
purpose, and might be the way to go if one is unfortunate enough to
have only lean pastrami on hand.

* Perhaps not insignificant if you make your own sandwiches, but as
served in the better restaurant's and delis, the pastrami is usually
piled on so high that it's not too much of an exaggeration to say
that the sandwiches resemble footballs held between two tiny slices
of bread.

BillB

On 10 Jan 2005 16:52:20 GMT, Art Sackett wrote:

> Now I know, and I think I'll be avoiding them if ever I encounter a
> place that offers them for sale. I assume that many people enjoy them,
> but, for my money, if it's wrapped in a flour tortilla it'd better have
> something deliciously fattening in it.

A "pastrami wrap, side o' gwock" would be deliciously fattening,
whether the wrap is eaten or tossed. More properly made with rye
bread (which contributes an relatively insignificant amount to the
total calorie count*, as would the yuppie wrap) which helps to
absorb a bit of excess grease (better tasting than if lean pastrami
is used), it's more traditional to add spicy mustard with perhaps
some cole slaw on the side or on the sandwich. It's also common for
people to add Russian or Thousand Island dressing. I don't, but I'd
be willing to try guacamole, which would seem to serve a similar
purpose, and might be the way to go if one is unfortunate enough to
have only lean pastrami on hand.

* Perhaps not insignificant if you make your own sandwiches, but as
served in the better restaurant's and delis, the pastrami is usually
piled on so high that it's not too much of an exaggeration to say
that the sandwiches resemble footballs held between two tiny slices
of bread.

Jim Lane

Art Sackett wrote:
> krusty kritter > wrote:
>

>>A "wrap" is a symbol of yuppie decadence, denying traditional Mexican
>>cuisine in favor of a lithe physique...

snip

>>Eschewing any ingredients that might increase the size of the love
>>handles or enhance the spare tire, the yuppie "wrap" uses only the
>>flour tortilla to enfold the ingredients of the more fattening
>>traditional burrito...
>>
>>Anything can go into a wrap...

> Now I know, and I think I'll be avoiding them if ever I encounter a
> place that offers them for sale. I assume that many people enjoy them,
> but, for my money, if it's wrapped in a flour tortilla it'd better have
> something deliciously fattening in it.
>
> Thanks for the information, and for reminding me why it was that I
> escaped from southern California, where I grew up, as soon as I was
> able.

That first para can be misleading. Ut osunds just like a burrito. I
think a better way might be: a sandwich rolled up in a plain or flavored
flour tortilla instead of bread. Yes, I know a tortilla is a bread. For
someone on the move, its shape is a benefit. Like an open-ended burrito.

jim

Jim Lane

Art Sackett wrote:
> krusty kritter > wrote:
>

>>A "wrap" is a symbol of yuppie decadence, denying traditional Mexican
>>cuisine in favor of a lithe physique...

snip

>>Eschewing any ingredients that might increase the size of the love
>>handles or enhance the spare tire, the yuppie "wrap" uses only the
>>flour tortilla to enfold the ingredients of the more fattening
>>traditional burrito...
>>
>>Anything can go into a wrap...

> Now I know, and I think I'll be avoiding them if ever I encounter a
> place that offers them for sale. I assume that many people enjoy them,
> but, for my money, if it's wrapped in a flour tortilla it'd better have
> something deliciously fattening in it.
>
> Thanks for the information, and for reminding me why it was that I
> escaped from southern California, where I grew up, as soon as I was
> able.

That first para can be misleading. Ut osunds just like a burrito. I
think a better way might be: a sandwich rolled up in a plain or flavored
flour tortilla instead of bread. Yes, I know a tortilla is a bread. For
someone on the move, its shape is a benefit. Like an open-ended burrito.

jim
Art Sackett

BillB > wrote:

> A "pastrami wrap, side o' gwock" would be deliciously fattening,
> whether the wrap is eaten or tossed.

I can buy the fattening part, but deliciously so? Pastrami inside a
flour tortilla? Gack. Give me some Kosher rye so I'm picking seeds out
of my teeth for a couple of days and I'll be happy.

> More properly made with rye
> bread (which contributes an relatively insignificant amount to the
> total calorie count*, as would the yuppie wrap) which helps to
> absorb a bit of excess grease (better tasting than if lean pastrami
> is used), it's more traditional to add spicy mustard with perhaps
> some cole slaw on the side or on the sandwich.

NOW yer talkin'. I like finely sliced onion on there, too, and every
now and then, maybe a razor thin layer of horseradish. Fresh from the
oven roasted garlic goes well. Maybe some lettuce and tomato, if I'm in
the mood for it. If the pastrami is that commercial crap that's low on
flavor, which is all too common these days, I'll up the horseradish a
bit, and sprinkle a bit of pepper on there, too.

And, just to irritate my raised-Jewish mother, I might like a nice thin
slice of swiss or provolone cheese on that sandwich.

> It's also common for people to add Russian or Thousand Island
> dressing.

I grew up eating pastrami (and of course corned beef), but haven't ever
seen anyone do that. Maybe it's more common in some locales than in
others?

--
Art Sackett,
Patron Saint of Drunken Fornication
Art Sackett

BillB > wrote:

> A "pastrami wrap, side o' gwock" would be deliciously fattening,
> whether the wrap is eaten or tossed.

I can buy the fattening part, but deliciously so? Pastrami inside a
flour tortilla? Gack. Give me some Kosher rye so I'm picking seeds out
of my teeth for a couple of days and I'll be happy.

> More properly made with rye
> bread (which contributes an relatively insignificant amount to the
> total calorie count*, as would the yuppie wrap) which helps to
> absorb a bit of excess grease (better tasting than if lean pastrami
> is used), it's more traditional to add spicy mustard with perhaps
> some cole slaw on the side or on the sandwich.

NOW yer talkin'. I like finely sliced onion on there, too, and every
now and then, maybe a razor thin layer of horseradish. Fresh from the
oven roasted garlic goes well. Maybe some lettuce and tomato, if I'm in
the mood for it. If the pastrami is that commercial crap that's low on
flavor, which is all too common these days, I'll up the horseradish a
bit, and sprinkle a bit of pepper on there, too.

And, just to irritate my raised-Jewish mother, I might like a nice thin
slice of swiss or provolone cheese on that sandwich.

> It's also common for people to add Russian or Thousand Island
> dressing.

I grew up eating pastrami (and of course corned beef), but haven't ever
seen anyone do that. Maybe it's more common in some locales than in
others?

--
Art Sackett,
Patron Saint of Drunken Fornication
Ernie

"krusty kritter" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> I made tamales twice over the Christmas holidays, I used enough
> ingredients to make about 4 dozen small tamales, but never used any
> corn husks at all. I just made one *tamale gigante*, in a covered
> casserole dish...

Interesting
Ernie

Ernie

"krusty kritter" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> I made tamales twice over the Christmas holidays, I used enough
> ingredients to make about 4 dozen small tamales, but never used any
> corn husks at all. I just made one *tamale gigante*, in a covered
> casserole dish...

Interesting
Ernie

Peter Dy

"krusty kritter" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Dimitri suggested:
>
>>remember in Spanish the pronunciation (sound) of each letter

> is for the most part consistent so the G in Guacamole is
> pronounced the same as the G in Gringo.
>
> Sorry, Dimitri, but that site you suggested has a "gringo" trying to
> *guess*
> how to pronounce something that should be pronounced with a *glottal
> stop*
> at the very beginning of the word...
>
> The easiest way for those who just don't "do" glottal stops is to
> pronounce
> "guacamole" as a breathless-sounding "wha-ca-mow-lay"...
>
> The modern Spanish word "guacamole" has its roots in the Nahuatl
> word "ahuacatl", meaning "testicle" for its resemblance to that part of
> the
> human anatomy...

[...]
> The letter "H" in Nahuatl transcriptions corresponds to the *glottal
> stop* represented
> by the apostrophe in Native American languages, such as Dine Bizaad,
> the language
> spoken by the so-called "Navajo Indians" or Arizona and New Mexico...

[...]
> The same rule applies to the letter "H" in Nahuatl. It's a glottal
> stop...
> http://weber.ucsd.edu/~dkjordan/nahu...#pronunciation

But Krusty, just look at the link you gave. According to that site, "h" is
a glottal stop, but "hu" isn't, it's a /w/. And that's what we have in
"ahuacamolli." No?

Peter

Peter Dy

"krusty kritter" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Dimitri suggested:
>
>>remember in Spanish the pronunciation (sound) of each letter

> is for the most part consistent so the G in Guacamole is
> pronounced the same as the G in Gringo.
>
> Sorry, Dimitri, but that site you suggested has a "gringo" trying to
> *guess*
> how to pronounce something that should be pronounced with a *glottal
> stop*
> at the very beginning of the word...
>
> The easiest way for those who just don't "do" glottal stops is to
> pronounce
> "guacamole" as a breathless-sounding "wha-ca-mow-lay"...
>
> The modern Spanish word "guacamole" has its roots in the Nahuatl
> word "ahuacatl", meaning "testicle" for its resemblance to that part of
> the
> human anatomy...

[...]
> The letter "H" in Nahuatl transcriptions corresponds to the *glottal
> stop* represented
> by the apostrophe in Native American languages, such as Dine Bizaad,
> the language
> spoken by the so-called "Navajo Indians" or Arizona and New Mexico...

[...]
> The same rule applies to the letter "H" in Nahuatl. It's a glottal
> stop...
> http://weber.ucsd.edu/~dkjordan/nahu...#pronunciation

But Krusty, just look at the link you gave. According to that site, "h" is
a glottal stop, but "hu" isn't, it's a /w/. And that's what we have in
"ahuacamolli." No?

Peter

Peter Dy

"krusty kritter" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Peter Dy wrote:
>> That may be so, but are you saying that in Mexican *Spanish*,

> "guacamole" starts with a glottal stop?
>
> Yes. The "G" at the beginning of "guacamole" and "Guatemala"
> are also attempts to transliterate the glottal stop that is unfamiliar
> to speakers of European languages...

Could you cite some references? I've never heard them pronounced that way,
but maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Also, "Guatemala," according to my dictionary, possibly comes from Nahuatl
"Cuauhtemallan." But "cu" is neither a glottal stop nor a /w/, it's /kw/,
according to the link you gave.

On the link below, this guy says both "gw" and "w" can be heard in Mexico
for "guacamole" and "Guatemala." No mention of a glottal stop. And it also
seems to have nothing to do with the words origins--he says that even
"whisky" is sometimes spelled "güisqi."

http://spanish.about.com/library/que...nounce-gua.htm

In a recent Mexican movie (Y tu mamá también ?), the two young guys
addressed themselves using the slang, "güey" (meaning "dude"), and they
pronounced it with a "w" so it sounded like "whay." When I asked a friend
in Oaxaca about the word, he didn't know what word I was talking about until
I wrote it down. And he said, "Oh, gway!"

Thus, I'm guessing, as the link I gave suggests, that indeed both are
common, though probably "gw" is considered more standard.

Peter
[...]

Peter Dy

"krusty kritter" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Peter Dy wrote:
>> That may be so, but are you saying that in Mexican *Spanish*,

> "guacamole" starts with a glottal stop?
>
> Yes. The "G" at the beginning of "guacamole" and "Guatemala"
> are also attempts to transliterate the glottal stop that is unfamiliar
> to speakers of European languages...

Could you cite some references? I've never heard them pronounced that way,
but maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Also, "Guatemala," according to my dictionary, possibly comes from Nahuatl
"Cuauhtemallan." But "cu" is neither a glottal stop nor a /w/, it's /kw/,
according to the link you gave.

On the link below, this guy says both "gw" and "w" can be heard in Mexico
for "guacamole" and "Guatemala." No mention of a glottal stop. And it also
seems to have nothing to do with the words origins--he says that even
"whisky" is sometimes spelled "güisqi."

http://spanish.about.com/library/que...nounce-gua.htm

In a recent Mexican movie (Y tu mamá también ?), the two young guys
addressed themselves using the slang, "güey" (meaning "dude"), and they
pronounced it with a "w" so it sounded like "whay." When I asked a friend
in Oaxaca about the word, he didn't know what word I was talking about until
I wrote it down. And he said, "Oh, gway!"

Thus, I'm guessing, as the link I gave suggests, that indeed both are
common, though probably "gw" is considered more standard.

Peter
[...]

BillB

On 10 Jan 2005 19:52:50 GMT, Art Sackett wrote:

> I can buy the fattening part, but deliciously so? Pastrami inside a
> flour tortilla? Gack. Give me some Kosher rye so I'm picking seeds out
> of my teeth for a couple of days and I'll be happy.

Lets not get carawayed away. I'd never use a flour tortilla
unless I had no bread (has to be decent rye) and all of the local
stores are closed.

> If the pastrami is that commercial crap that's low on
> flavor, which is all too common these days, I'll up the horseradish a
> bit, and sprinkle a bit of pepper on there, too.

"If the pastrami is that commercial crap" I'll get something else.
Almost anything (other than Spam) will do.

>> It's also common for people to add Russian or Thousand Island
>> dressing.

> I grew up eating pastrami (and of course corned beef), but haven't ever
> seen anyone do that. Maybe it's more common in some locales than in
> others?

It's available in all of the east coast (NY, NJ) delis I've seen,
including all of the more famous ones occasionally seen on the
silver screen. Never tried it myself though. I'm not familiar with
any regional differences other than having discovered "hot"
sour/half-sour pickles (very hot little peppers included with the
pickling spices in the barrel) in the Pittsburgh (Squirrel Hill)
area.

Paul Covey

I hate to be a pain, and this pastrami wrap does sound great, but I'd
love to know what it has to do with food-mexican-cooking which I thought
was the topic of this ng (at least it used to be). I live in upstate
NY, and pastrami wraps sound wonderful, something I'd find in NYC, but
how does Rye with pastrami and cheese and 1000 Islands relate to mexican
cooking - actually it's getting close to a Reuben (corned beef) which is
one of my favorites.

As I said before, I don't care about authenticity of Mexican recipes
(though if I can get a real Mexican recipe that's even better), and am
happy to blend Mexican with Southwest and Texas because all that counts
to me is if it tastes good. I'm just disappointed that this whole
strange conversation that seems irrelevant to Mexican Cooking is going
on while I've gotten no response to a question asking if anyone has a
recipe for a Mexican style bean side dish that I could use instead of
refried beans.
Paul

BillB wrote:
> On 10 Jan 2005 16:52:20 GMT, Art Sackett wrote:
>

>>Now I know, and I think I'll be avoiding them if ever I encounter a
>>place that offers them for sale. I assume that many people enjoy them,
>>but, for my money, if it's wrapped in a flour tortilla it'd better have
>>something deliciously fattening in it.

> A "pastrami wrap, side o' gwock" would be deliciously fattening,
> whether the wrap is eaten or tossed. More properly made with rye
> bread (which contributes an relatively insignificant amount to the
> total calorie count*, as would the yuppie wrap) which helps to
> absorb a bit of excess grease (better tasting than if lean pastrami
> is used), it's more traditional to add spicy mustard with perhaps
> some cole slaw on the side or on the sandwich. It's also common for
> people to add Russian or Thousand Island dressing. I don't, but I'd
> be willing to try guacamole, which would seem to serve a similar
> purpose, and might be the way to go if one is unfortunate enough to
> have only lean pastrami on hand.
>
> * Perhaps not insignificant if you make your own sandwiches, but as
> served in the better restaurant's and delis, the pastrami is usually
> piled on so high that it's not too much of an exaggeration to say
> that the sandwiches resemble footballs held between two tiny slices
> of bread.

Peter Dy

"Paul Covey" > wrote in message
.. .
[...]
> As I said before, I don't care about authenticity of Mexican recipes
> (though if I can get a real Mexican recipe that's even better), and am
> happy to blend Mexican with Southwest and Texas because all that counts to
> me is if it tastes good. I'm just disappointed that this whole strange
> conversation that seems irrelevant to Mexican Cooking is going on while
> I've gotten no response to a question asking if anyone has a recipe for a
> Mexican style bean side dish that I could use instead of refried beans.

Man, do you always whine such? And you too never responded to my post
asking what's wrong with someone wondering how guacamole is pronounced. I
think it's certainly on-topic for this newsgroup, since it has to do with
Mexican food. If you still dislike it, why don't you just ignore the
thread?

Peter

BillB

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 04:31:40 GMT, Paul Covey wrote:

> I hate to be a pain, and this pastrami wrap does sound great, but I'd
> love to know what it has to do with food-mexican-cooking which I thought
> was the topic of this ng (at least it used to be).

A little bit of thread drift (as long as it is neither excessive
nor frequent) makes for a friendly atmosphere and is very likely to
snare more passersby and result in more frequent visits and
messages, with the majority of them being on-topic posts. I don't
know if you noticed or not, but until recently (and for quite some
time) this ng was pretty dead. In my opinion it would be much for
the worse if all messages here were rigidly on topic, but the ng
never accumulated more than 2 or 3 per week.

And it's not as if the discussion suddenly veered wildly off-topic,
discussing motorcycling, knitting or blackjack. It was still about
*food*, and I allowed as how the idea of guacamole seemed more
appealing to me (on pastrami) than dressing. Food evolves
everywhere, and if that unlikely combination became popular, how
would you describe it? Semi-Kosher? Semi-Mexican? I hope it
wouldn't be ruled OT due to not being traditional enough. Then the
Argentineans might claim it as their own.

> As I said before, I don't care about authenticity of Mexican recipes
> (though if I can get a real Mexican recipe that's even better), and am
> happy to blend Mexican with Southwest and Texas because all that counts
> to me is if it tastes good.

With so many Mexicans now living in this NE area, I think it's
valid to blend Mexican with something other than Southwest or Texan
food, especially since, as you said, all that counts is if it tastes
good.

> I live in upstate NY,

Oh I'm so sorry. Good delis must be few and far between. But
what exactly does that have to do with Mexico? If you lived
farther south (NYC) not only would there be more and better delis,
but more (and presumably more authentic if not necessarily better)
Mexican restaurants as well. And the supermarkets here have quite a
large selection of Mexican products. One which was new to me
several years ago was cocoa. Instead of it being sold the normal
way as a powder in a box or tin, it resembles a solid, small round
hockey puck, scored to easily break off in sections, and often it's
flavored with cinnamon.

> I'm just disappointed that this whole
> strange conversation that seems irrelevant to Mexican Cooking is going
> on while I've gotten no response to a question asking if anyone has a
> recipe for a Mexican style bean side dish that I could use instead of
> refried beans.

This isn't really a recipe, or at least one never existed until
just now, but is something I tried from just a few odds & ends that
were on hand. It may not be Mexican enough for you but I liked it
enough to repeat it half-a-dozen times over the last year: Mix
cooked black beans (mine originated as dried beans but I won't hold
it against you if you use canned) with a little spaghetti sauce and
an equal amount of hot habanero salsa. Maybe a little Valentina
Salsa Picante if the other is too mild. No measurements. I always
decide how much of each of the previous ingredients to use as I mix
them in. Add your choice of meat (I vary it and use only a small
amount), any spices you're fond of, heat, and serve on one side of a
plate with rice on the other side. Only the beans are precooked for
the occasion. The rest of the ingredients are usually on hand in
small amounts in the refrigerator, but if not, anything similar can
be substituted. And no, Minute Rice does not qualify as being
similar enough.

--
"Ok, all done. That's a wrap. See you later, guys."
krusty kritter

Peter Dy wrote:

> Also, "Guatemala," according to my dictionary, possibly comes from

Nahuatl "Cuauhtemallan." But "cu" is neither a glottal stop nor a /w/,
it's /kw/, according to the link you gave.

Different scholars transcribed Nahuatl and other Mesoamerican languages
as they saw fit, so you'll probably find variations in spelling...

> On the link below, this guy says both "gw" and "w" can be heard in

Mexico for "guacamole" and "Guatemala." No mention of a glottal stop.
And it also seems to have nothing to do with the words origins--he says
that even
> "whisky" is sometimes spelled "g=FCisqi."
>
> http://spanish.about.com/library/que...nounce-gua.htm

He's the fellow that has a webpage devoted to "Spanglish" and the
infection of the Spanish language by English words...

Problem is that Spanish has been infected before, by Romans and Goths
and Vandals and Arabs and African languages, and, if you asked six
different Latinos to pronounce the word "caballo" (horse) you'd get six
different pronounciations and you could probably guess very well where
the speaker learned Spanish...

> In a recent Mexican movie (Y tu mam=E1 tambi=E9n ?), the two young guys

addressed themselves using the slang, "g=FCey" (meaning "dude"), and
they pronounced it with a "w" so it sounded like "whay." When I asked
a friend in Oaxaca about the word, he didn't know what word I was
talking about until I wrote it down. And he said, "Oh, gway!"

My 70-year old chicano friend who speaks Spanish very well (he's not a
pocho) dislikes being addressed in Spanish by Mexican nationals. He
will say to them, "Why are you talking to me in Spanish? What makes you
think I speak Spanish?"

Well, what the heck, he's half Mexican and half Apache or some border
tribe, he doesn't know for sure, but he asserts that he is an
American, unless he wants to argue that he's a Mexican...

Once he made use of the term "guey", he pronounced it "way", and
couldn't spell it. But from his usage, I gathered that a "guey" wasn't
considered to be very masculine. He indicated that a "guey" was like a
castrated bull, as I recall...

krusty kritter

Ernie wrote:

> Interesting
> Ernie

My kitchen is so small, I bump into myself turning around and have to
apologize. And, I hate to wash dishes, so I try to make my Mexican
cuisine as simply as possible. The original Mexican cooks probably had
no pots at all, and only limited utensils to prepare their tamales.
When tamales were originally steamed in an earth oven by pouring water
over hot rocks, the corn husks kept dirt out of the masa. Later, the
steamed tamales could be conveniently carried. The corn husks are
superfluous in modern Mexican cooking, in my opinion, though some claim
they can taste the difference in tamales that were cooked some other
way. I don't have to dig a hole in the ground and fill it with hot
rocks, I can put the meat and sauce filling in a microwave safe
casserole and steam it by heating it for fifteen minutes in the
microwave and then letting the casserole sit until the
masa is completely steamed. I don't have to carry the casserole
anywhere, I'm not trying to sell tamales at a vending booth, or from my
home as many of my neighbors do, they charge about $0.75 for a large
tamale, I just dig into my casserole and get the freshest tamale taste
possible.

Ernie

"krusty kritter" > wrote in message
oups.com...
I can put the meat and sauce filling in a microwave safe
> casserole and steam it by heating it for fifteen minutes in the
> microwave and then letting the casserole sit until the
> masa is completely steamed.

Very clever.
I like the microwave for some things, but don't like what it does
to some foods. I think half of the fun of making the tamales is
the corn husks. I have never seen such big ones as I got from
MexGrocer.com.
Ernie

David Wright

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:17:36 GMT, "Ernie"
> wrote:

>"krusty kritter" > wrote in message
roups.com...
>I can put the meat and sauce filling in a microwave safe
>> casserole and steam it by heating it for fifteen minutes in the
>> microwave and then letting the casserole sit until the
>> masa is completely steamed.

>Very clever.
>I like the microwave for some things, but don't like what it does
>to some foods. I think half of the fun of making the tamales is
>the corn husks. I have never seen such big ones as I got from
>MexGrocer.com.
>Ernie

Also, I like the grace note of flavor the corn husks add. I think I
will try the casserole idea, but will line the dish and cover the top
with husks.

David
krusty kritter

David Wright wrote:

> Also, I like the grace note of flavor the corn husks add. I think I
> will try the casserole idea, but will line the dish and cover the top

with husks.

I made the tamale casserole like a deep dish pie, with masa lining the
bowl, meat/sauce mix filling the lining, and a masa lid covering the
filling...

The edges, where the two parts of masa came together wound up
over-cooked and too hard, but the texture of the rest of the steamed
masa was just perfect...

The next time I make a tamale casserole, I plan to start with a layer
of meat/sauce, add a layer of masa that doesn't touch the sides of the
bowl, another layer of meat/sauce, then masa, etc...

I hope that the masa will maintain its perfect texture for a few days
in the refrigerator...

krusty kritter

David Wright wrote:

> Also, I like the grace note of flavor the corn husks add. I think I
> will try the casserole idea, but will line the dish and cover the top

with husks.

I made the tamale casserole like a deep dish pie, with masa lining the
bowl, meat/sauce mix filling the lining, and a masa lid covering the
filling...

The edges, where the two parts of masa came together wound up
over-cooked and too hard, but the texture of the rest of the steamed
masa was just perfect...

The next time I make a tamale casserole, I plan to start with a layer
of meat/sauce, add a layer of masa that doesn't touch the sides of the
bowl, another layer of meat/sauce, then masa, etc...

I hope that the masa will maintain its perfect texture for a few days
in the refrigerator...

Peter Dy

Peter Dy wrote:

> Also, "Guatemala," according to my dictionary, possibly comes from

Nahuatl "Cuauhtemallan." But "cu" is neither a glottal stop nor a /w/,
it's /kw/, according to the link you gave.

Different scholars transcribed Nahuatl and other Mesoamerican languages
as they saw fit, so you'll probably find variations in spelling...

-->Nope, haven't found any variations--all the places I've looked have it
start with "cu." It's hardly an uncommon word--the first part comes from
the word "tree," "cuahuitl."

[For some reason my reply couldn't format properly and isn't quoting your
post. Hmmm...]

[...]
> In a recent Mexican movie (Y tu mamá también ?), the two young guys

addressed themselves using the slang, "güey" (meaning "dude"), and
they pronounced it with a "w" so it sounded like "whay." When I asked
a friend in Oaxaca about the word, he didn't know what word I was
talking about until I wrote it down. And he said, "Oh, gway!"

My 70-year old chicano friend who speaks Spanish very well (he's not a
pocho) dislikes being addressed in Spanish by Mexican nationals. He
will say to them, "Why are you talking to me in Spanish? What makes you
think I speak Spanish?"

Well, what the heck, he's half Mexican and half Apache or some border
tribe, he doesn't know for sure, but he asserts that he is an
American, unless he wants to argue that he's a Mexican...

Once he made use of the term "guey", he pronounced it "way", and
couldn't spell it. But from his usage, I gathered that a "guey" wasn't
considered to be very masculine. He indicated that a "guey" was like a
castrated bull, as I recall...

-->Yeah, one should use it with caution, since it still has that negative
side, especially outside of youth culture. Even it's use in a television ad
in the US caused some problems recently. Never saw the commercial in
question though...:

http://www.borderlandnews.com/storie...8-115490.shtml

Peter

Peter Dy

Peter Dy wrote:

> Also, "Guatemala," according to my dictionary, possibly comes from

Nahuatl "Cuauhtemallan." But "cu" is neither a glottal stop nor a /w/,
it's /kw/, according to the link you gave.

Different scholars transcribed Nahuatl and other Mesoamerican languages
as they saw fit, so you'll probably find variations in spelling...

-->Nope, haven't found any variations--all the places I've looked have it
start with "cu." It's hardly an uncommon word--the first part comes from
the word "tree," "cuahuitl."

[For some reason my reply couldn't format properly and isn't quoting your
post. Hmmm...]

[...]
> In a recent Mexican movie (Y tu mamá también ?), the two young guys

addressed themselves using the slang, "güey" (meaning "dude"), and
they pronounced it with a "w" so it sounded like "whay." When I asked
a friend in Oaxaca about the word, he didn't know what word I was
talking about until I wrote it down. And he said, "Oh, gway!"

My 70-year old chicano friend who speaks Spanish very well (he's not a
pocho) dislikes being addressed in Spanish by Mexican nationals. He
will say to them, "Why are you talking to me in Spanish? What makes you
think I speak Spanish?"

Well, what the heck, he's half Mexican and half Apache or some border
tribe, he doesn't know for sure, but he asserts that he is an
American, unless he wants to argue that he's a Mexican...

Once he made use of the term "guey", he pronounced it "way", and
couldn't spell it. But from his usage, I gathered that a "guey" wasn't
considered to be very masculine. He indicated that a "guey" was like a
castrated bull, as I recall...

-->Yeah, one should use it with caution, since it still has that negative
side, especially outside of youth culture. Even it's use in a television ad
in the US caused some problems recently. Never saw the commercial in
question though...:

http://www.borderlandnews.com/storie...8-115490.shtml

Peter

Peter Dy

"BillB" > wrote in message
[...]
And the supermarkets here have quite a
> large selection of Mexican products. One which was new to me
> several years ago was cocoa. Instead of it being sold the normal
> way as a powder in a box or tin, it resembles a solid, small round
> hockey puck, scored to easily break off in sections, and often it's
> flavored with cinnamon.

Chocolate is probably a better word for it, since cocoa usually refers to
the powder you mention, where the fat, or cocao butter, has been removed.
Before that, Europeans drank coffee just like Mexicans--with roasted beans,
ground on a metate, blended with nuts and spices, and frothed up with a
molinillo. Read about this recently in Sophie Coe's excellent _The True
History of Chocolate_. Now I'm reading her _America's First Cuisines_,
which is about the pre-hispanic Aztec, Maya, and Inca cuisines--really great
book so far too.

Oxacan chocolate is special, since it's made with almonds too--cacao beans,
sugar, cinnamon, and almonds. Also, it is still a very popular drink there,
something I didn't notice in other cities I've visited--though I've only
been to a few other places in Mexico. I'd never seen it in the States, not
on the web either, but a few months ago an upscale tacqueria in SF's new
Ferry Building shops had some. If you can find it in your area, I'd
definetely give it a try. (It would probably be Mayordomo brand, the
largest producer.)

Peter

Paul Covey

No, actually I virtually never whine about stuff. Usually sit back and
smile when the group goes crazy arguing about whether something is
authentic Mexican or not. And absolutely nothing wrong with asking
about pronunciation. All that can lead to interesting cultural
discussions. Some of the best cooking ideas were provided by someone who
went into long discussions about the entire day of preparing and
enjoying a meal (David Wright maybe?). Just was frustrated that when I
was asking for ideas for a recipe for an alternative to the usual
refried beans side, nobody replied to that question but went into a long
thing about pastrami wraps in this thread. Just seems like the group
has gotten away from great recipes and great discussions that were more
on topic. Sorry I expressed that frustration.
Paul

Peter Dy wrote:
> "Paul Covey" > wrote in message
> .. .
> [...]
>
>>As I said before, I don't care about authenticity of Mexican recipes
>>(though if I can get a real Mexican recipe that's even better), and am
>>happy to blend Mexican with Southwest and Texas because all that counts to
>>me is if it tastes good. I'm just disappointed that this whole strange
>>conversation that seems irrelevant to Mexican Cooking is going on while
>>I've gotten no response to a question asking if anyone has a recipe for a
>>Mexican style bean side dish that I could use instead of refried beans.

> Man, do you always whine such? And you too never responded to my post
> asking what's wrong with someone wondering how guacamole is pronounced. I
> think it's certainly on-topic for this newsgroup, since it has to do with
> Mexican food. If you still dislike it, why don't you just ignore the
> thread?
>
> Peter

BillB

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 05:20:30 GMT, Peter Dy wrote:

> Chocolate is probably a better word for it, since cocoa usually refers to
> the powder you mention, where the fat, or cocao butter, has been removed.
> Before that, Europeans drank coffee just like Mexicans--with roasted beans,
> ground on a metate, blended with nuts and spices, and frothed up with a
> molinillo. Read about this recently in Sophie Coe's excellent _The True
> History of Chocolate_. Now I'm reading her _America's First Cuisines_,
> which is about the pre-hispanic Aztec, Maya, and Inca cuisines--really great
> book so far too.

Right. I guess I referred to it as cocoa because I was thinking
of the end result in the cup. Before making it for the first time I
thought it wouldn't be as easy as using cocoa powder, but a little
immersion blender did the job in a couple of seconds (even the old
one with the dull blade). Hadn't heard of Coe before, but the info.
is saved and will soon make its way into my PDA. Useful to have
when wandering through book and record store (I know - it's CD now)
aisles.

> Oxacan chocolate is special, since it's made with almonds too--cacao beans,
> sugar, cinnamon, and almonds. Also, it is still a very popular drink there,
> something I didn't notice in other cities I've visited--though I've only
> been to a few other places in Mexico. I'd never seen it in the States, not
> on the web either, but a few months ago an upscale tacqueria in SF's new
> Ferry Building shops had some. If you can find it in your area, I'd
> definetely give it a try. (It would probably be Mayordomo brand, the
> largest producer.)

Also noted. Thanks.

BillB

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 05:20:30 GMT, Peter Dy wrote:

> Chocolate is probably a better word for it, since cocoa usually refers to
> the powder you mention, where the fat, or cocao butter, has been removed.
> Before that, Europeans drank coffee just like Mexicans--with roasted beans,
> ground on a metate, blended with nuts and spices, and frothed up with a
> molinillo. Read about this recently in Sophie Coe's excellent _The True
> History of Chocolate_. Now I'm reading her _America's First Cuisines_,
> which is about the pre-hispanic Aztec, Maya, and Inca cuisines--really great
> book so far too.

Right. I guess I referred to it as cocoa because I was thinking
of the end result in the cup. Before making it for the first time I
thought it wouldn't be as easy as using cocoa powder, but a little
immersion blender did the job in a couple of seconds (even the old
one with the dull blade). Hadn't heard of Coe before, but the info.
is saved and will soon make its way into my PDA. Useful to have
when wandering through book and record store (I know - it's CD now)
aisles.

> Oxacan chocolate is special, since it's made with almonds too--cacao beans,
> sugar, cinnamon, and almonds. Also, it is still a very popular drink there,
> something I didn't notice in other cities I've visited--though I've only
> been to a few other places in Mexico. I'd never seen it in the States, not
> on the web either, but a few months ago an upscale tacqueria in SF's new
> Ferry Building shops had some. If you can find it in your area, I'd
> definetely give it a try. (It would probably be Mayordomo brand, the
> largest producer.)

Also noted. Thanks.

Peter Dy

"BillB" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 05:20:30 GMT, Peter Dy wrote:
>
>> Chocolate is probably a better word for it, since cocoa usually refers to
>> the powder you mention, where the fat, or cocao butter, has been removed.
>> Before that, Europeans drank coffee just like Mexicans--with roasted
>> beans,
>> ground on a metate, blended with nuts and spices, and frothed up with a
>> molinillo. Read about this recently in Sophie Coe's excellent _The True
>> History of Chocolate_. Now I'm reading her _America's First Cuisines_,
>> which is about the pre-hispanic Aztec, Maya, and Inca cuisines--really
>> great
>> book so far too.

> Right. I guess I referred to it as cocoa because I was thinking
> of the end result in the cup.

Yeah, it's a tricky linguistic situation, since most Americans would look at
me weird if I said, "I like drinking chocolate." "Hot chocolate," sure, but
that means the same as "cocoa" for most everyone. When Van Houten invented
the technique for removing the fat from the beans in 1828, that was
basically the death knell for "chocolate" and even hot cocoa drinking in
Europe, since cocoa just tastes so pale in comparison; it's no wonder it
wasn't able to compete with tea or coffee. Chocolate, the drink, is making
a comeback though--in NYC there are several places that have it now. Very
good, but Western style without spices. Though, on second thought, I think
Jacques Torres's might have it spiced. Yes, here's a review that mentions
it:

http://www.tastingmenu.com/archive/2...r/20041101.htm

Hadn't heard of Coe before, but the info.
> is saved and will soon make its way into my PDA.

You might be familiar withi her husband, Michael Coe, who is probably the
greatest Mesoamerican scholar in the States. His books are also really
good--nice, clear writing and presentation. In fact, she died before she
could write the chocolate book, and he wrote it for her based on her notes.
Her death is a real loss, since the info in her _America's First Cuisines_
looks pretty darn solid, though it was written in 1994.

Peter

krusty kritter

BillB wrote:

>One which was new to me several years ago was cocoa. Instead of it

being sold the normal way as a powder in a box or tin, it resembles a
solid, small round hockey puck, scored to easily break off in sections,
and often it's flavored with cinnamon.

I bought some of that "hockey puck" Mexican chocolate flavored with
cinnamon a few years ago. It cost less than a buck at the 99 Cents Only
Store, because most people don't know what it is...

I tried it, thought that it was a lot of work to crush the thing and
boil the milk, etc., so the box got shoved to the back of my pantry
where it is probably still sitting...

krusty kritter

BillB wrote:

>One which was new to me several years ago was cocoa. Instead of it

being sold the normal way as a powder in a box or tin, it resembles a
solid, small round hockey puck, scored to easily break off in sections,
and often it's flavored with cinnamon.

I bought some of that "hockey puck" Mexican chocolate flavored with
cinnamon a few years ago. It cost less than a buck at the 99 Cents Only
Store, because most people don't know what it is...

I tried it, thought that it was a lot of work to crush the thing and
boil the milk, etc., so the box got shoved to the back of my pantry
where it is probably still sitting...

BillB

On 12 Jan 2005 13:55:29 -0800, krusty kritter wrote:

> I bought some of that "hockey puck" Mexican chocolate flavored with
> cinnamon a few years ago. It cost less than a buck at the 99 Cents Only
> Store, because most people don't know what it is...
>
> I tried it, thought that it was a lot of work to crush the thing and
> boil the milk, etc., so the box got shoved to the back of my pantry
> where it is probably still sitting...

When it's time for spring cleaning, search the back of your
pantry. The chocolate will probably still be good. I never thought
of nor tried crushing it - seemed like too much work, as you
discovered. It was easy to break off a piece (the pieces tend to be
a bit ragged and not all exactly the same size), add to the pot of
hot water/milk, and as mentioned in a followup:

> Before making it for the first time I
> thought it wouldn't be as easy as using cocoa powder, but a little
> immersion blender did the job in a couple of seconds (even the old
> one with the dull blade).

Art Sackett

BillB > wrote:

> When it's time for spring cleaning, search the back of your
> pantry. The chocolate will probably still be good.

I hate to admit to knowing this, but if it's been around too long, long
enough to become crumbly or develop a white (not moldy) layer, an "off"
flavor develops.

> I never thought
> of nor tried crushing it - seemed like too much work, as you
> discovered.

Same here. I just whack it on the edge of the counter a time or three
and use what seems to be the right amount. It's a good way to test the
integrity of a formica countertop. :-)

--
Art Sackett,
Patron Saint of Drunken Fornication
Art Sackett

BillB > wrote:

> When it's time for spring cleaning, search the back of your
> pantry. The chocolate will probably still be good.

I hate to admit to knowing this, but if it's been around too long, long
enough to become crumbly or develop a white (not moldy) layer, an "off"
flavor develops.

> I never thought
> of nor tried crushing it - seemed like too much work, as you
> discovered.

Same here. I just whack it on the edge of the counter a time or three
and use what seems to be the right amount. It's a good way to test the
integrity of a formica countertop. :-)

--
Art Sackett,
Patron Saint of Drunken Fornication
BillB

On 13 Jan 2005 00:44:13 GMT, Whack-it Sackett wrote:

> I hate to admit to knowing this, but if it's been around too long, long
> enough to become crumbly or develop a white (not moldy) layer, an "off"
> flavor develops.

The white coating that frequently is seen on chocolate is said to
be a "bloom", or harmless migration of oils (or something) to the
surface of the chocolate, and most experts say "ignore it and eat
it". Is the white layer you've seen caused by something else? I
too would ditch it if it became crumbly or developed an off flavor.

> Same here. I just whack it on the edge of the counter a time or three
> and use what seems to be the right amount. It's a good way to test the
> integrity of a formica countertop. :-)

I knew there had to be at least a method or two, since I'm pretty
sure that when the Mexican manufacturers first produced those
pellets they wouldn't assume their customers would have a hand
blender or Cuisinart-type tool (whose invention would probably
arrive decades later). Wouldn't you need to put the pellet
fragments in some kind of a tough bag before whacking it? I can see
slivers and tiny pieces flying off in all directions if you don't.
Lastly, when you end up with lots of small fragments, do they blend
easily in hot liquid or do you need to stir with a spoon or
mini-whisk until exhausted?

BillB