The Ranger

Default Rice: Not Just Generic

Recently, I switch brands on rice (Smart-and-Final to Uncle Ben's).
Whether they're processed side-by-side or not, I've found that Uncle
Ben's cooks up differently and -- so far -- often doesn't cook up.

Fer example... I was making some Spanish Rice (recipe below) and had a
majority of the rice still dry-n-solid as when I first started.

What other brands do people use?

The Ranger
---
Spanish Rice

Ingredients:
2 Cups White Rice -- uncooked
3 Cups Water
1 Cup Stewed Tomatoes
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/4 tsp Cayenne

Place all ingredients in covered saucepan over medium-high heat until
the mixture bubbles. Stir and reduce heat. Cook 10-12 minutes,
covered. Stir during cooking to keep the rice from sticking.
lgo

The Ranger > wrote in
:

> Recently, I switch brands on rice (Smart-and-Final to Uncle Ben's).
> Whether they're processed side-by-side or not, I've found that Uncle
> Ben's cooks up differently and -- so far -- often doesn't cook up.
>
> Fer example... I was making some Spanish Rice (recipe below) and had a
> majority of the rice still dry-n-solid as when I first started.
>
> What other brands do people use?

I like to use Mahatma.
extra long grain.

> The Ranger
> ---
> Spanish Rice
>
> Ingredients:
> 2 Cups White Rice -- uncooked
> 3 Cups Water
> 1 Cup Stewed Tomatoes
> 1/2 tsp Cumin
> 1/2 tsp Oregano
> 1/4 tsp Cayenne
>
> Place all ingredients in covered saucepan over medium-high heat until
> the mixture bubbles. Stir and reduce heat. Cook 10-12 minutes,
> covered. Stir during cooking to keep the rice from sticking.

James A. Finley

Default Not Just Generic

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> Recently, I switch brands on rice (Smart-and-Final to Uncle Ben's).
> Whether they're processed side-by-side or not, I've found that Uncle
> Ben's cooks up differently and -- so far -- often doesn't cook up.
>
> Fer example... I was making some Spanish Rice (recipe below) and had a
> majority of the rice still dry-n-solid as when I first started.
>
> What other brands do people use?
>
> The Ranger
> ---
> Spanish Rice
>
> Ingredients:
> 2 Cups White Rice -- uncooked
> 3 Cups Water
> 1 Cup Stewed Tomatoes
> 1/2 tsp Cumin
> 1/2 tsp Oregano
> 1/4 tsp Cayenne
>
> Place all ingredients in covered saucepan over medium-high heat until
> the mixture bubbles. Stir and reduce heat. Cook 10-12 minutes,
> covered. Stir during cooking to keep the rice from sticking.

Use your recipe but prepare it as a pilaf. If you don't knpw what a pilaf
is, think Rice-o-Roni.

James A. Finley

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> Recently, I switch brands on rice (Smart-and-Final to Uncle Ben's).
> Whether they're processed side-by-side or not, I've found that Uncle
> Ben's cooks up differently and -- so far -- often doesn't cook up.
>
> Fer example... I was making some Spanish Rice (recipe below) and had a
> majority of the rice still dry-n-solid as when I first started.
>
> What other brands do people use?
>
> The Ranger
> ---
> Spanish Rice
>
> Ingredients:
> 2 Cups White Rice -- uncooked
> 3 Cups Water
> 1 Cup Stewed Tomatoes
> 1/2 tsp Cumin
> 1/2 tsp Oregano
> 1/4 tsp Cayenne
>
> Place all ingredients in covered saucepan over medium-high heat until
> the mixture bubbles. Stir and reduce heat. Cook 10-12 minutes,
> covered. Stir during cooking to keep the rice from sticking.

Use your recipe but prepare it as a pilaf. If you don't knpw what a pilaf
is, think Rice-o-Roni.

The Ranger

James A. Finley > wrote in message
> If you don't kn[o]w what a pilaf is, think Rice-o-Roni.

There's a visual I didn't need...

ObTopic: Best long-grain I've had has been by Mahatma. Cooks up easily
and every kernel is delicious.

The Ranger

The Ranger

James A. Finley > wrote in message
> If you don't kn[o]w what a pilaf is, think Rice-o-Roni.

There's a visual I didn't need...

ObTopic: Best long-grain I've had has been by Mahatma. Cooks up easily
and every kernel is delicious.

The Ranger

sf

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:38:32 -0700, The Ranger
> wrote:

> Recently, I switch brands on rice (Smart-and-Final to Uncle Ben's).
> Whether they're processed side-by-side or not, I've found that Uncle
> Ben's cooks up differently and -- so far -- often doesn't cook up.
>
> Fer example... I was making some Spanish Rice (recipe below) and had a
> majority of the rice still dry-n-solid as when I first started.
>
> What other brands do people use?
>
> The Ranger
> ---
> Spanish Rice
>
> Ingredients:
> 2 Cups White Rice -- uncooked
> 3 Cups Water
> 1 Cup Stewed Tomatoes
> 1/2 tsp Cumin
> 1/2 tsp Oregano
> 1/4 tsp Cayenne
>
> Place all ingredients in covered saucepan over medium-high heat until
> the mixture bubbles. Stir and reduce heat. Cook 10-12 minutes,
> covered.

Everything looks right.... except there is too much water
for me and I'd adjust the cooking time. I'd use a 1:1 ratio
(or water 1/2 to 1 inch above the rice in your pot). I use
the finger method, wich means that I rest the tip of my
finger on the rice in the pot and measure water up to just
below my first joint.

Bring it to a boil and turn down the heat to a lively
simmer. How long did you cook your rice before you put the
lid on? You should cook it for at least 10 minutes after it
begins to bubble. I look for the rice kernals to just pop
(with a hard center) before I put the lid on it.

> Stir during cooking to keep the rice from sticking.

I think they say to stir because rice with tomato in it
tends to burn (think of bbq sauce). BUT, if you stir the
rice too much, it turns into gunk.

My personal rule is to NEVER stir rice once water has
evaporated below the top of it. When you see vent holes in
your rice, this is the time to put the lid on for final
steaming (remember, turn the heat down to low).

If your rice burns, the heat was too high - so adjust your
temperature as the water evaporates.

The entire cooking time should take a minimum of 20 minutes
- after the water begins to boil. Your recipe is more like
a 30 minute process, IMO.

Btw: If you're using converted rice, don't expect it to
pop... just look for vent holes and proceed. IMO: You have
a much better chance of non-gloppy rice when you use
converted.

HTH

Bill Freeman

Jasmine rice! For a different mix you can substitute part of the
rice with orzo .. . which gives it a San Francisco flair. Agree, lightly
fry the rice in butter/margarine and then add water etc.

sf > wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:38:32 -0700, The Ranger
> > wrote:
>
> > Recently, I switch brands on rice (Smart-and-Final to Uncle Ben's).
> > Whether they're processed side-by-side or not, I've found that Uncle
> > Ben's cooks up differently and -- so far -- often doesn't cook up.
> >
> > Fer example... I was making some Spanish Rice (recipe below) and had a
> > majority of the rice still dry-n-solid as when I first started.
> >
> > What other brands do people use?
> >
> > The Ranger
> > ---
> > Spanish Rice
> >
> > Ingredients:
> > 2 Cups White Rice -- uncooked
> > 3 Cups Water
> > 1 Cup Stewed Tomatoes
> > 1/2 tsp Cumin
> > 1/2 tsp Oregano
> > 1/4 tsp Cayenne
> >
> > Place all ingredients in covered saucepan over medium-high heat until
> > the mixture bubbles. Stir and reduce heat. Cook 10-12 minutes,
> > covered.

> Everything looks right.... except there is too much water
> for me and I'd adjust the cooking time. I'd use a 1:1 ratio
> (or water 1/2 to 1 inch above the rice in your pot). I use
> the finger method, wich means that I rest the tip of my
> finger on the rice in the pot and measure water up to just
> below my first joint.
>
> Bring it to a boil and turn down the heat to a lively
> simmer. How long did you cook your rice before you put the
> lid on? You should cook it for at least 10 minutes after it
> begins to bubble. I look for the rice kernals to just pop
> (with a hard center) before I put the lid on it.
>
> > Stir during cooking to keep the rice from sticking.

> I think they say to stir because rice with tomato in it
> tends to burn (think of bbq sauce). BUT, if you stir the
> rice too much, it turns into gunk.
>
> My personal rule is to NEVER stir rice once water has
> evaporated below the top of it. When you see vent holes in
> your rice, this is the time to put the lid on for final
> steaming (remember, turn the heat down to low).
>
> If your rice burns, the heat was too high - so adjust your
> temperature as the water evaporates.
>
> The entire cooking time should take a minimum of 20 minutes
> - after the water begins to boil. Your recipe is more like
> a 30 minute process, IMO.
>
> Btw: If you're using converted rice, don't expect it to
> pop... just look for vent holes and proceed. IMO: You have
> a much better chance of non-gloppy rice when you use
> converted.
>
> HTH
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Bill Freeman

sf > wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:38:32 -0700, The Ranger
> > wrote:
>
> > Recently, I switch brands on rice (Smart-and-Final to Uncle Ben's).
> > Whether they're processed side-by-side or not, I've found that Uncle
> > Ben's cooks up differently and -- so far -- often doesn't cook up.
> >
> > Fer example... I was making some Spanish Rice (recipe below) and had a
> > majority of the rice still dry-n-solid as when I first started.
> >
> > What other brands do people use?
> >
> > The Ranger
> > ---
> > Spanish Rice
> >
> > Ingredients:
> > 2 Cups White Rice -- uncooked
> > 3 Cups Water
> > 1 Cup Stewed Tomatoes
> > 1/2 tsp Cumin
> > 1/2 tsp Oregano
> > 1/4 tsp Cayenne
> >
> > Place all ingredients in covered saucepan over medium-high heat until
> > the mixture bubbles. Stir and reduce heat. Cook 10-12 minutes,
> > covered.

> Everything looks right.... except there is too much water
> for me and I'd adjust the cooking time. I'd use a 1:1 ratio
> (or water 1/2 to 1 inch above the rice in your pot). I use
> the finger method, wich means that I rest the tip of my
> finger on the rice in the pot and measure water up to just
> below my first joint.
>
> Bring it to a boil and turn down the heat to a lively
> simmer. How long did you cook your rice before you put the
> lid on? You should cook it for at least 10 minutes after it
> begins to bubble. I look for the rice kernals to just pop
> (with a hard center) before I put the lid on it.
>
> > Stir during cooking to keep the rice from sticking.

> I think they say to stir because rice with tomato in it
> tends to burn (think of bbq sauce). BUT, if you stir the
> rice too much, it turns into gunk.
>
> My personal rule is to NEVER stir rice once water has
> evaporated below the top of it. When you see vent holes in
> your rice, this is the time to put the lid on for final
> steaming (remember, turn the heat down to low).
>
> If your rice burns, the heat was too high - so adjust your
> temperature as the water evaporates.
>
> The entire cooking time should take a minimum of 20 minutes
> - after the water begins to boil. Your recipe is more like
> a 30 minute process, IMO.
>
> Btw: If you're using converted rice, don't expect it to
> pop... just look for vent holes and proceed. IMO: You have
> a much better chance of non-gloppy rice when you use
> converted.
>
> HTH
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

:-\)Liz

Yes! jasmine rice...I've become so hooked on it.....I love it just with a
bit of red pepper flakes or pieces and butter.... when I'm not in the mood
for spanish rice..:-) Liz

"Bill Freeman" > wrote in message

> Jasmine rice! For a different mix you can substitute part of the
> rice with orzo .. . which gives it a San Francisco flair. Agree, lightly
> fry the rice in butter/margarine and then add water etc.
>

> sf > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:38:32 -0700, The Ranger
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > Recently, I switch brands on rice (Smart-and-Final to Uncle Ben's).
> > > Whether they're processed side-by-side or not, I've found that Uncle
> > > Ben's cooks up differently and -- so far -- often doesn't cook up.
> > >
> > > Fer example... I was making some Spanish Rice (recipe below) and had

> > > majority of the rice still dry-n-solid as when I first started.
> > >
> > > What other brands do people use?
> > >
> > > The Ranger
> > > ---
> > > Spanish Rice
> > >
> > > Ingredients:
> > > 2 Cups White Rice -- uncooked
> > > 3 Cups Water
> > > 1 Cup Stewed Tomatoes
> > > 1/2 tsp Cumin
> > > 1/2 tsp Oregano
> > > 1/4 tsp Cayenne
> > >
> > > Place all ingredients in covered saucepan over medium-high heat until
> > > the mixture bubbles. Stir and reduce heat. Cook 10-12 minutes,
> > > covered.

> > Everything looks right.... except there is too much water
> > for me and I'd adjust the cooking time. I'd use a 1:1 ratio
> > (or water 1/2 to 1 inch above the rice in your pot). I use
> > the finger method, wich means that I rest the tip of my
> > finger on the rice in the pot and measure water up to just
> > below my first joint.
> >
> > Bring it to a boil and turn down the heat to a lively
> > simmer. How long did you cook your rice before you put the
> > lid on? You should cook it for at least 10 minutes after it
> > begins to bubble. I look for the rice kernals to just pop
> > (with a hard center) before I put the lid on it.
> >
> > > Stir during cooking to keep the rice from sticking.

> > I think they say to stir because rice with tomato in it
> > tends to burn (think of bbq sauce). BUT, if you stir the
> > rice too much, it turns into gunk.
> >
> > My personal rule is to NEVER stir rice once water has
> > evaporated below the top of it. When you see vent holes in
> > your rice, this is the time to put the lid on for final
> > steaming (remember, turn the heat down to low).
> >
> > If your rice burns, the heat was too high - so adjust your
> > temperature as the water evaporates.
> >
> > The entire cooking time should take a minimum of 20 minutes
> > - after the water begins to boil. Your recipe is more like
> > a 30 minute process, IMO.
> >
> > Btw: If you're using converted rice, don't expect it to
> > pop... just look for vent holes and proceed. IMO: You have
> > a much better chance of non-gloppy rice when you use
> > converted.
> >
> > HTH
> >

> > Practice safe eating - always use condiments

:-\)Liz

Generic lids snotbottom Preserving 6 10-02-2009 01:43 PM
Cran-Apple from Generic Juice Dumpster Winemaking 1 27-02-2006 08:00 AM
Brand name vs generic Switch General Cooking 145 16-02-2006 06:58 AM
Kind of generic cooked tuo [email protected] Tea 5 13-01-2006 06:06 PM
Generic Pinot from Costco (US) jcoulter Wine 0 14-12-2004 02:34 AM