Old 25-03-2004, 09:28 PM
Harold D. Thomas

Default Avoid the Machitos from HEB/Cabrito Market

I must say this does "NOT" sound very appetizing at all. It reminds me of a
dish my Grandmother use to make called Haggis.

Harold

"Chicken Lips" wrote in message
news
I finally got around to buying a couple of those "Machitos" sold at a
few of the local HEB's for $2.77/lb. They come from the Cabrito
Market in Mission, TX.

They're intestines wrapped around thick caul fat (omental fat),
wrapped around chopped heart and liver. They're made entirely of lamb
and/or goat according to the ingredients. They weigh about 1lb each
and could be mistaken for large, short penises of unknown origin.

The intestines (1/4" wide) are wrapped in a spiral fassion, probably
about 2 feet all together. They did indeed crisp up in the oven at
350 for 1.5 hours (as they directions indicated), but not all the fat
rendered out. The liver was way too strong and had a nasty, pudding
texture. The taste of lamb was very faint - I would have guessed I
was eating pork if I didn't already know the ingredients.

Bottom line - if there was no liver and they cost $1.50/lb or less, I
might buy tham again. But the liver taste and texture was just too
overpowering. Don't look for them anytime soon, and if you do happen
to see them, run. They seem to be a local invention of some sort;
Some kind of sick tex-mex joke.

[cross-posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking]

-sw

Ping: Cabrito or whoever you are... Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 28 22-05-2015 03:34 AM
Cabrito asado Cabrito del Bosque General Cooking 0 14-05-2015 10:00 PM
Cabrito asado Cabrito del Bosque Barbecue 0 14-05-2015 10:00 PM
Cabrito frohe[_2_] Barbecue 44 06-11-2008 03:38 AM
OT - 99 cent store (was Cabrito) Janet Wilder[_1_] Barbecue 2 26-09-2008 05:51 AM