Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default OT - 99 cent store (was Cabrito)

I went to the 99 cent store today. They will be closing in a "couple of
months". Since I'll be out of town for a while, I stocked up on canned
straw and shiitake mushrooms, sliced water chestnuts and other
Oriental-style veggies that I use in stir-fry.

They had packages of baby red and yellow peppers today. About 9 in a
package for 99 cents. I sliced them open and pan roasted them in a
little olive oil. They were awesome with rack of lamb done on the gas grill.

They also had packages with 2 large red peppers for 99 cents and I got
one of those. They will be roasted on the grill and turned into sauce.
--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I am making my list for purchase myself.

I am >hoping< that they will get the end of the season pepper runs in
before they close.

I would love to get a few pounds of Japs or serranos and smoke them
dry.

I am going to experiment a la MB in KC and vacuum dry them and put
them in the dark and see how long they last as opposed to my current
method of putting them in a large rub jar and leaving the out on the
counter.

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
>I am making my list for purchase myself.
>
> I am >hoping< that they will get the end of the season pepper runs in
> before they close.
>
> I would love to get a few pounds of Japs or serranos and smoke them
> dry.
>
> I am going to experiment a la MB in KC and vacuum dry them and put
> them in the dark and see how long they last as opposed to my current
> method of putting them in a large rub jar and leaving the out on the
> counter.
>
> Robert

Here's a better experiment for you. smoke them until they are leathery.
Put them in a zip lock bag.
The dried up ones closest to the heat you can grind up for rubs/seasoning.
I still have some nice chewy Chipotles from last year.

Ping: Cabrito or whoever you are... Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 28 22-05-2015 03:34 AM
Cabrito asado Cabrito del Bosque General Cooking 0 14-05-2015 10:00 PM
Cabrito asado Cabrito del Bosque Barbecue 0 14-05-2015 10:00 PM
Cabrito frohe[_2_] Barbecue 44 06-11-2008 02:38 AM
Avoid the Machitos from HEB/Cabrito Market Harold D. Thomas Mexican Cooking 0 25-03-2004 08:28 PM