Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Chili queens re-enacted?

I found this interesting paragraph while researching the history and lore of
chili. Is this true?

During the 1980s, San Antonio began staging what they call "historic
re-enactments" of the chili queens. As an tribute to chili, the state dish,
the city of San Antonio holds an annual "Return of the Chili Queens
Festival" in Market Square during the Memorial Day celebrations in May,
sponsored by the El Mercado Merchants.

Source: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Histo...iliHistory.htm

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 23, 11:47 am, "Wayne Lundberg" >
wrote:
> I found this interesting paragraph while researching the history and lore of
> chili. Is this true?
>
> During the 1980s, San Antonio began staging what they call "historic
> re-enactments" of the chili queens. As an tribute to chili, the state dish,
> the city of San Antonio holds an annual "Return of the Chili Queens
> Festival" in Market Square during the Memorial Day celebrations in May,
> sponsored by the El Mercado Merchants.
>
> Source:http://whatscookingamerica.net/Histo...iliHistory.htm

I haven't heard of it in years... but know that they used to do it. I
don't speak enough Spanish to go to San Antonio now, so I spend most
of my time in Mexico where there are some Gringos.

Jack

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Jack Tyler" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Mar 23, 11:47 am, "Wayne Lundberg" >
> wrote:
> > I found this interesting paragraph while researching the history and

lore of
> > chili. Is this true?
> >
> > During the 1980s, San Antonio began staging what they call "historic
> > re-enactments" of the chili queens. As an tribute to chili, the state

dish,
> > the city of San Antonio holds an annual "Return of the Chili Queens
> > Festival" in Market Square during the Memorial Day celebrations in May,
> > sponsored by the El Mercado Merchants.
> >
> > Source:http://whatscookingamerica.net/Histo...iliHistory.htm

> I haven't heard of it in years... but know that they used to do it. I
> don't speak enough Spanish to go to San Antonio now, so I spend most
> of my time in Mexico where there are some Gringos.
>
> Jack

Ouch! I keep hearing the same thing from other expatriates and friends. They
tell me that to speak English they have to be in Ajiji and if they want to
speak Spanish they do it in Los Angeles.

Wow!

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 23, 2:55 pm, "Wayne Lundberg" >
wrote:
> "Jack Tyler" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > On Mar 23, 11:47 am, "Wayne Lundberg" >
> > wrote:
> > > I found this interesting paragraph while researching the history and

> lore of
> > > chili. Is this true?

> > > During the 1980s, San Antonio began staging what they call "historic
> > > re-enactments" of the chili queens. As an tribute to chili, the state

> dish,
> > > the city of San Antonio holds an annual "Return of the Chili Queens
> > > Festival" in Market Square during the Memorial Day celebrations in May,
> > > sponsored by the El Mercado Merchants.

> > > Source:http://whatscookingamerica.net/Histo...iliHistory.htm

> > I haven't heard of it in years... but know that they used to do it. I
> > don't speak enough Spanish to go to San Antonio now, so I spend most
> > of my time in Mexico where there are some Gringos.

> > Jack

> Ouch! I keep hearing the same thing from other expatriates and friends. They
> tell me that to speak English they have to be in Ajiji and if they want to
> speak Spanish they do it in Los Angeles.
>
> Wow!

My daughter went through a long period of low self-esteem. I must
take credit for it, as I am her father. However, Jennifer kept dating
poorly-educated folks in her high school. Two in a row were Hispanic
and spoke poor English. I'm not talking about poor English, as in a
person who had just moved here from Mexico... I'm talking about poor
English, as in white trash. You see, I love Hispanics and hate hicks.
I introduced one of her dates to a friend of mine (who is better-
educated than I am) and he said "If she wants to date a Mexican, let's
take her to Mexico and let her meet one who speaks English."

In another direction, I was at a party with consular and tourism
officials from Mexico in Los Angeles some time ago and asked an
official "What is the difference between Los Angeles and Mexico?" The
answer was, that in Mexico, you can find people who speak English. He
agreed it was true.

Jack

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Jack Tyler" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 23, 2:55 pm, "Wayne Lundberg" >
> wrote:
> > "Jack Tyler" > wrote in message
> >
> > ups.com...

> > lore of

state
> > dish,

May,

> > > I haven't heard of it in years... but know that they used to do it. I
> > > don't speak enough Spanish to go to San Antonio now, so I spend most
> > > of my time in Mexico where there are some Gringos.

> > > Jack

> > Ouch! I keep hearing the same thing from other expatriates and friends.

They
> > tell me that to speak English they have to be in Ajiji and if they want

> > speak Spanish they do it in Los Angeles.
> >
> > Wow!

> My daughter went through a long period of low self-esteem. I must
> take credit for it, as I am her father. However, Jennifer kept dating
> poorly-educated folks in her high school. Two in a row were Hispanic
> and spoke poor English. I'm not talking about poor English, as in a
> person who had just moved here from Mexico... I'm talking about poor
> English, as in white trash. You see, I love Hispanics and hate hicks.
> I introduced one of her dates to a friend of mine (who is better-
> educated than I am) and he said "If she wants to date a Mexican, let's
> take her to Mexico and let her meet one who speaks English."
>
> In another direction, I was at a party with consular and tourism
> officials from Mexico in Los Angeles some time ago and asked an
> official "What is the difference between Los Angeles and Mexico?" The
> answer was, that in Mexico, you can find people who speak English. He
> agreed it was true.
>
> Jack

So true. One of these days you and I will be sitting in a bistro in Colima
sipping a beer while enjoying an endless stream of antojitos and discussing
world affairs. I'm looking forward to that day!

Dave, Dimitri, Galloping, Randy, Rolly, Mark, Chipotle, Lou, Carolyn, Peter,
Mark, Sonoran Dude, Ranger.... others in the fourm... care to join us?

Wayne. I'll pop for the first round of Bohemias and bottle of Herradura
Blanca on the table.

Wayne

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

wrote:
> I found this interesting paragraph while researching the history and lore of
> chili. Is this true?
>
> During the 1980s, San Antonio began staging what they call "historic
> re-enactments" of the chili queens. As an tribute to chili, the state dish,
> the city of San Antonio holds an annual "Return of the Chili Queens
> Festival" in Market Square during the Memorial Day celebrations in May,
> sponsored by the El Mercado Merchants.
>
> Source:http://whatscookingamerica.net/Histo...iliHistory.htm

Thanks for that link, Wayne. It goes along with the book, "The Tex-Mex
Cookbook," by Robb Walsh, who is a food writer who lives in Houston.
(I'd be willing to bet up to a nickle that Jack knows him.)

One of the best features of his book is that he found several pictures
of the chili queens at work at their stands in downtown San Antonio.
Sad to say, the city council put them out of business in 1937, the
year of my birth, so I didn't get to sample their versions of one of
my favorite stews. I think I do a pretty good job of cooking what they
did, though.

David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 23, 6:54 pm, "dtwright37" > wrote:
> On Mar 23, 11:47 am, "Wayne Lundberg" >
> wrote:
>
> > I found this interesting paragraph while researching the history and lore of
> > chili. Is this true?

> > During the 1980s, San Antonio began staging what they call "historic
> > re-enactments" of the chili queens. As an tribute to chili, the state dish,
> > the city of San Antonio holds an annual "Return of the Chili Queens
> > Festival" in Market Square during the Memorial Day celebrations in May,
> > sponsored by the El Mercado Merchants.

> > Source:http://whatscookingamerica.net/Histo...iliHistory.htm

> Thanks for that link, Wayne. It goes along with the book, "The Tex-Mex
> Cookbook," by Robb Walsh, who is a food writer who lives in Houston.
> (I'd be willing to bet up to a nickle that Jack knows him.)
>
> One of the best features of his book is that he found several pictures
> of the chili queens at work at their stands in downtown San Antonio.
> Sad to say, the city council put them out of business in 1937, the
> year of my birth, so I didn't get to sample their versions of one of
> my favorite stews. I think I do a pretty good job of cooking what they
> did, though.
>
> David

Yes, I know Robb.

Jack

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

You could always go to Terlingua, It's the chili capitol of the world.

dtwright37 wrote:
> On Mar 23, 11:47 am, "Wayne Lundberg" >
> wrote:
>
>>I found this interesting paragraph while researching the history and lore of
>>chili. Is this true?
>>
>>During the 1980s, San Antonio began staging what they call "historic
>>re-enactments" of the chili queens. As an tribute to chili, the state dish,
>>the city of San Antonio holds an annual "Return of the Chili Queens
>>Festival" in Market Square during the Memorial Day celebrations in May,
>>sponsored by the El Mercado Merchants.
>>
>>Source:http://whatscookingamerica.net/Histo...iliHistory.htm

> Thanks for that link, Wayne. It goes along with the book, "The Tex-Mex
> Cookbook," by Robb Walsh, who is a food writer who lives in Houston.
> (I'd be willing to bet up to a nickle that Jack knows him.)
>
> One of the best features of his book is that he found several pictures
> of the chili queens at work at their stands in downtown San Antonio.
> Sad to say, the city council put them out of business in 1937, the
> year of my birth, so I didn't get to sample their versions of one of
> my favorite stews. I think I do a pretty good job of cooking what they
> did, though.
>
> David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 29, 1:45 pm, Glenn > wrote:
> You could always go to Terlingua, It's the chili capitol of the world.

Well, Glenn, from what I know of the Terlingua competition, they have
a good time, but they cook spicy spaghetti sauce instead of
traditional chili con carne, to my of thinking. Ground meat, canned
tomato sauce, bullion cubes, powdered garlic and onion, etc., don't
have any part in any chili I would want to cook or eat, but YMMV.

http://www.chili.org/recipes.html

Also, I would think that the "capital" of chili con carne would be
closer to San Antonio than the Big Bend country. Just my opinion.

David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 29, 2:45 pm, Glenn > wrote:
**You could always go to Terlingua, It's the chili capitol of the
world.

Hijole! Why would I go there to see a bunch of rich Houstonians? Go to
Shafter; it ain't as crowded.

T.