Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Cuete y jamon en rajas y crema

After ordering the "Carne Asada" combination plate in a Mexican
taqueria, I swore I would never gnaw on that dry, tough cut of meat
again. The apparent problem is that the so-called "carne asada" is
really *fried meat*, prepared as the customer orders it, not slow
roasted meat that the cook started roasting hours in advance.

Flank steak (aldilla or arrachera) can be slow cooked to make it
tender, so can eye of round steak (cuete).

Cuete y jamon en rajas y crema

3/4 kg. de cuete en trozo bien limpiecito
1/4 kg. jamón de pierna cortado delgadito
1/2 kg. chile poblano
1/2 kg. cebolla blanca
1/2 kg. crema
1 diente de ajo
zanahoria
tocino

Mechamos el cuete con la zanahoria y el tocino, lo embarramos (1) con
el ajo y lo ponemos a cocer en la olla expres con un poquito de sal.
O, lo puedes cocer en la olla normal a fuego muy lento hasta que la
carne quede suavecita

Tostamos y pelamos los chiles poblanos, ya limpios los cortamos para
rajas.

Cortamos la cebolla en rodajas muy delgadas. Las ponemos a freir y
cuando esten medio transparentes agregamos los chiles. Poner sal al
gusto y agregar la crema.

Cortar en rebanadas delgadas la carne con el cuchillo eléctrico.

En un refractario vamos a poner una cama de cuete, una de jamón y una
de rajas y así sucesivamente. Hornear por unos 20 min. para calentar
y servir.

http://foros.forosmexico.com/showthread.php?t=58023

(1) "Barro" is mud or clay. "Embarramos" means "we cover with mud or
clay". Most illogical, Captain.

Maybe the author should have used "cubrimos" or "espolveremos"
instead?

..

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
ups.com...
After ordering the "Carne Asada" combination plate in a Mexican
taqueria, I swore I would never gnaw on that dry, tough cut of meat
again. The apparent problem is that the so-called "carne asada" is
really *fried meat*, prepared as the customer orders it, not slow
roasted meat that the cook started roasting hours in advance.

Flank steak (aldilla or arrachera) can be slow cooked to make it
tender, so can eye of round steak (cuete).

For this I unblock dos gringos ??????

Booger are you really serious about what you wrote? Asada is fried meat,
"not slow
roasted meat that the cook started roasting hours in advance"? Do you
actually understand what asada is?

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 2, 11:41�pm, "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote:

> Booger are you really serious about what you wrote? Asada is fried meat,
> "not slow
> roasted meat that the cook started roasting hours in advance"? *Do you
> actually understand what asada is?

"Asar" means "to roast", by a direct application of dry heat, without
an intervening medium such as water, grease, or oil.

"Coccion" is boiling in water (hervir) or frying (freir) in grease or
oil. "Freir" can be broken down into deep fat frying, slow frying
(sauteeing) with less grease, and "saltear", where the cook keeps the
food from sticking by constant motion of the frying pan.

"Estofar" is stewing food in its own juices.

"Asado a la parilla" is a method of roasting, because it exposes the
food directly to the radiant and convecting heat from a fire or hot
coals.

But the guy in the kitchen of your typical taqueria doesn't have an
open fire and a grille. Instead, he has a *griddle*, a flat piece of
iron called a "plancha" and that flat piece of iron will be seasoned
with burnt on grease, or the fry cook will be greasing or oiling the
griddle to keep whatever he is cooking from sticking.

There's a lot of confusion about grills and griddles, and I have never
seen a taqueria called a "Mexican griddle", but there are a lot of
"Mexican grilles" around California's "gold coast" nowadays.

The best way to tell if you're eating at a "Mexican grille" is when
you see the
flames in the kitchen.

But that might not always indicate the fire is intentional. One of my
favorite biker hangouts was a donut shop that had to cease operations
after the Mexican running the deep fat fryer set the place on fire
after coming to work drunk.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 2, 11:41?pm, "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote:

"""Asado a la parilla" is a method of roasting, because it exposes the
food directly to the radiant and convecting heat from a fire or hot
coals.""

Actually it translates more like" meat of the grill", la parilla being the
grill and a pretty big difference in the cooking ( roasting) of meat in an
oven or on a grill, but we digress.

""But the guy in the kitchen of your typical taqueria doesn't have an
open fire and a grille. Instead, he has a *griddle*, a flat piece of
iron called a "plancha" and that flat piece of iron will be seasoned
with burnt on grease, or the fry cook will be greasing or oiling the
griddle to keep whatever he is cooking from sticking.

There's a lot of confusion about grills and griddles, and I have never
seen a taqueria called a "Mexican griddle", but there are a lot of
"Mexican grilles" around California's "gold coast" nowadays.""

Actually you can pan grill or even use a griddle (comal) to cook meats and
even get the grill marks.

Flank steak and Skirt is like Squid, you either cook it very quickly or
braise it for a long time but you should also learn to cut across the grain.
You usually will not find braised meals in a restaurant setting.

Here is Rick Bayless' take on Carne Asada Tampiquena, aka flank steak

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/carneasada.htm

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

On Mar 8, 1:56�pm, "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote:
> "The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in oglegroups.com...
> On Mar 2, 11:41?pm, "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote:
>
> """Asado a la parilla" is a method of roasting, because it exposes the
> food directly to the radiant and convecting heat from a fire or hot
> coals.""
>
> Actually it translates more like" meat of the grill", * la parilla being the
> grill *and a pretty big difference in the cooking ( roasting) of meat *in an
> oven or on a grill, * but we digress.

Actually, much of the neophyte's confusion about Mexican cooking is
misuse of words such as "asado", "fritado", "cocido", "cazuela",
"enchilado", etc.

If the newbie doesn't know much Spanish, he/she is frquently going to
think that the cooking process is the result.

> Here is *Rick Bayless' take on Carne Asada Tampiquena, aka flank steak
>
> http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/carneasada.htm

OK, Bayless' recipe uses at least two processes to tenderize the meat.

However, we don't know whether the meat was aged, but the tenderizing
effects of putrefaction are well known. Aging meat can be a gamble for
the restaurateur if he doesn't use a lot of any particular meat or
fowl.

Somebody in a London restaurant once asked other diners about whether
a pheasant was fit to eat. The first person wasn't sure, so I tasted
it and agreed that the bird beyond tenderized, it was definitely
rotten.

Then Bayless' recipe says that the beef was marinated in lemon juice
for four hours and was somewhat tenderized by the effects of citric
acid.

The meat was actually fried in oil for 1.5 to 2.0 minutes and then the
cooking process continued as the warm meat "rested" in the oven until
the cook was ready to assemble the plate.

A fry cook in a Mexican grille is likely to just grab the meat off a
tray and slap it on the grille for about two minutes.

I remember getting rare pork chops off a grille at Denny's once.
Apparently the fry cook thought that grilling a pork chop was the same
thing as grilling a rare steak, that the pork should be bloody in the
center. I sent the offending pork chops back.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 8, 1:56?pm, "Gunner" <gunner@ spam.com> wrote:
> "The Galloping Gourmand" > wrote in
> oglegroups.com...

My, my. You do wax and wane around facts FB.

#1 your tough meat had nothing to do with the fact the cook was a Mexican
nor that he used a griddle.
# 2 Aging the meat , Marinade, the rotten pheasant in England and the
undercooked pork,
none of that had anything to do with squat in this issue.
#3 Fact is you can pan grill flank or a skirt steak and you can use a
griddle to do it hell you can even use that plow disc. learn your beef.
#4 your stupid diatribe was meant to disparage Mexicans. The Haute Cuisine
Biker Donut shop was stupid to not have a standard restaurant fire
suppression equipment installed, perhaps he has cheap insurance that did not
require it or the code enforcement is very lax in your area. The stupid
owner allow a drunk to cook for him. You were AF enlisted, you know the
boss is always responsible for his crew if he is really a boss, so don't
give your urban legends bs.

Now, the inference statement of the neophyte not knowing "asado", "fritado",
"cocido", "cazuela","enchilado", etc. is laughable knowing your propensity
for being so far off when it comes to general culinary knowledge and the
mistakes you have made in your El Norte lecture series trying to translating
the Prof's copyrighted work she did.

Rather than continuing to blatantly plagiarize Professor Lopez, why
don't you show me that you really do know a bit about cooking? Clean up the
mistakes and then put some recipes with those el Norte recipe titles you
put up? Oh and properly give the Professor her credit for your "work"