Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Mystery Fruit from Mexico

I was brought this plate of fruit at a restaurant in Campeche. It
wasn't for me to eat, as it is somewhat caustic and slightly poisonous
in this form. It is grown all over southern North America (Mexico), as
well as all over Central and South America. It is in the Poison Ivy
family (note the three-leaf format. You have all eaten one.

What is it?

Photo:

http://www.pbase.com/that_rich/image/71632139

Jack

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Jack Tyler wrote:
> I was brought this plate of fruit at a restaurant in Campeche. It
> wasn't for me to eat, as it is somewhat caustic and slightly poisonous
> in this form. It is grown all over southern North America (Mexico), as
> well as all over Central and South America. It is in the Poison Ivy
> family (note the three-leaf format. You have all eaten one.
>
> What is it?

A papaya?

David

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

dtwright37 wrote:
> Jack Tyler wrote:
> > I was brought this plate of fruit at a restaurant in Campeche. It
> > wasn't for me to eat, as it is somewhat caustic and slightly poisonous
> > in this form. It is grown all over southern North America (Mexico), as
> > well as all over Central and South America. It is in the Poison Ivy
> > family (note the three-leaf format. You have all eaten one.
> >
> > What is it?
> >

> A papaya?
>
> David

Nope.

Jack

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

dtwright37 wrote:
> Jack Tyler wrote:
> > I was brought this plate of fruit at a restaurant in Campeche. It
> > wasn't for me to eat, as it is somewhat caustic and slightly poisonous
> > in this form. It is grown all over southern North America (Mexico), as
> > well as all over Central and South America. It is in the Poison Ivy
> > family (note the three-leaf format. You have all eaten one.
> >
> > What is it?
> >

> A papaya?
>
> David

Perspective helps. It's no more than 2-3 inches top to bottom.

Jack

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

"Jack Tyler" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I was brought this plate of fruit at a restaurant in Campeche. It
> wasn't for me to eat, as it is somewhat caustic and slightly poisonous
> in this form. It is grown all over southern North America (Mexico), as
> well as all over Central and South America. It is in the Poison Ivy
> family (note the three-leaf format. You have all eaten one.
>
> What is it?
>

> Jack

That is an Anacardium occidentale, yes?

I was just reading about its cousin the Sumac this morning in an interesting
recipe of Mideastern cooking and notw looking for a source for it.
Interesting to note it is used a lot with Fennel, not like the wild fennel
in CA and TX, two different plants. I am looking for a source of Fennel
pollen to experiement with

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner wrote:
> That is an Anacardium occidentale, yes?
>
> I was just reading about its cousin the Sumac this morning in an interesting
> recipe of Mideastern cooking and notw looking for a source for it.
> Interesting to note it is used a lot with Fennel, not like the wild fennel
> in CA and TX, two different plants. I am looking for a source of Fennel
> pollen to experiement with

Yep. It's a cashew.

Jack

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Mystery Fruit from Mexico (photo)

Jack Tyler wrote:
> I was brought this plate of fruit at a restaurant in Campeche. It
> wasn't for me to eat, as it is somewhat caustic and slightly poisonous
> in this form. It is grown all over southern North America (Mexico), as
> well as all over Central and South America. It is in the Poison Ivy
> family (note the three-leaf format. You have all eaten one.
>
> What is it?
>
> Photo:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/that_rich/image/71632139
>
> Jack

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

I have no idea, but you have really peaked my curiosity. I will wait
patiently for the answer.

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Sorry I did not see that the answer was already there. This is very
interesting.