Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Recado, Mole, Adobo and rubs

Will someone intelligently explain the differences in Recado, Mole, Adobo
and rub and the region/culture/area they are basing this on. Perhaps give a
recipe of one of their favorites dishes using one of these.

TIA
gunner

Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Gunner wrote:
> Will someone intelligently explain the differences in Recado, Mole, Adobo
> and rub and the region/culture/area they are basing this on.

Recado, Adobo, and rub are pretty much the same thing. I've seen
recipes from Yucatan and Oaxaca that call for Recado, Adobo and rubs.

Some recipes call for vinegar in the Adobo. The decision to use vinegar
goes beyond whether you like your meat or chicken to have a sour taste.
I don't care for the vinegar taste.

Put a little vinegar in, Adobo is a paste. Put a lot of vinegar in,
it's a marinade.

Leave the vinegar out, it's a powdery rub.

Make Adobo wet, using water instead, and it's an Adobo sauce, similar
to enchilada sauce.

The problem with Mole, is the misuse of the term to identify the *stew*
that whatever Mole you are using is spicing up.

A stew is called "guiso" in Spanish, and a "guisote" is a sort of poor
stew that might be prepared quickly.

A stew is NOT the sauce that spices it, but in the minds of Americans,
the stew is Mole.

There are seven traditional Moles in Oaxaca, and they are actually
Moles of different *colors*, depending on what vegetable was used as a
base.

The ignorant tend to think that Mole necessarily is made with turkey at
Christmas, but Mole is actually used to spice meat or fowl.

Certain seeds or nuts or fruits, and even chocolate are added to change
the texture of the Mole and thicken it.

If it isn't thick and lacks texture, it's really just an enchilada
sauce.

Mint Recado Gunner Mexican Cooking 1 07-12-2006 03:11 AM
La Parilla Traditional Achiote Recado (Yucatan, Mexico Style) [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 26-05-2006 08:46 PM
Recado Para Bistec, Seasoning For Steak Duckie ® Recipes 0 23-06-2005 12:11 AM
POLLO EN MOLE VERDE (Chicken in Green Mole) terrymcintire Recipes 2 18-10-2004 02:55 AM
Recado rojo Shelora Mexican Cooking 6 19-05-2004 09:47 PM