Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking

Default Torta (Mexican Sandwich)

Ingredients:

Telera torta bread purchased at Mexican restaurant
Beef, chicken, pork or vegetarian
mayo
avocado
refried beans
lettuce, romaine
jack or cheddar cheese
pico de gallo, consisting of tomatoes, onions, and fresh jalepeno peppers
lemon juice
dash of salt

Dice torta ingredients, the. mix together. Beef should be thinly sliced
and grilled with onions, pepper, salt and lemon juice. Cut bread in half.
Spread mayo and then toast bread.

Add your toppings:

refried beans
cheese
meat or vegetables
avocado
pico do gallo
romaine lettuce

Recipe Courtesy:

Frank Leyva
Xochimilco Mexican Restaurant
Sacramento

taken from: http://www.kcra.com/food
Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
FB FB is offline

luna the lurker wrote:
> Ingredients:
>
> Telera torta bread purchased at Mexican restaurant

I found teleras and bolillos (like miniature French rolls) for $0.25
each at Food 4 Less.

> Beef, chicken, pork or vegetarian
> mayo
> avocado
> refried beans
> lettuce, romaine
> jack or cheddar cheese
> pico de gallo, consisting of tomatoes, onions, and fresh jalepeno peppers
> lemon juice
> dash of salt
>
> Dice torta ingredients, the. mix together. Beef should be thinly sliced
> and grilled with onions, pepper, salt and lemon juice. Cut bread in half.
> Spread mayo and then toast bread.
>
> Add your toppings:
>
> refried beans
> cheese
> meat or vegetables
> avocado
> pico do gallo
> romaine lettuce

You can also substitute cilantro for the lettuce. When I make tortas, I
boil the meat until it is ready to be shredded with a fork. Then I put
it in a frying pan with whatever Mexican chile sauce I am going to use
and fry it until it thickens.

This is called a "tinga" and it resembles what you get when you buy a
"barbecued pork" sandwich.

Torta Steve Pope General Cooking 8 13-01-2009 11:29 PM
Torta di Mele CookiesFromItaly.com Recipes (moderated) 0 30-06-2005 05:00 AM
Cheese "torta" Sheryl Rosen General Cooking 3 12-12-2004 03:56 PM
pombasos? mexican sandwich bread? Meghan Noecker Mexican Cooking 5 01-11-2003 08:00 PM