Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Torta

Usually my cooking/dining partner makes the torta, but since
she has work and I don't, I'm doing her part of the cooking
lately.

I sauteed up the following: leeks, carrots, broccoli, and
garlic, then added a mixture of 5 eggs, about 4 ounces diced
firm tofu, and nearly half a cup of nonfat cottage cheese.
(This is intended to be a high-protein dish...)

This made a two-meal torta (four servings): the leftover refrigerated
torta was very good. But, the just-cooked torta was too watery;
I suspect the culprit is the cottage cheese. Next time
I will try pressing some of the water out of it, through
a strainer or cheeshcloth.

Any other thoughts?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> Usually my cooking/dining partner makes the torta, but since
> she has work and I don't, I'm doing her part of the cooking
> lately.
>
> I sauteed up the following: leeks, carrots, broccoli, and
> garlic, then added a mixture of 5 eggs, about 4 ounces diced
> firm tofu, and nearly half a cup of nonfat cottage cheese.
> (This is intended to be a high-protein dish...)
>
> This made a two-meal torta (four servings): the leftover refrigerated
> torta was very good. But, the just-cooked torta was too watery;
> I suspect the culprit is the cottage cheese. Next time
> I will try pressing some of the water out of it, through
> a strainer or cheeshcloth.
>
> Any other thoughts?
>
> Steve

Drain the cottage cheese well and press the tofu under weight; that also
will contain a lot of fluid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London > wrote:

> Drain the cottage cheese well and press the tofu under weight; that
> also will contain a lot of fluid.

Thanks, I'll try both of these next time...

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> Arri London > wrote:
>
> > Drain the cottage cheese well and press the tofu under weight; that
> > also will contain a lot of fluid.

> Thanks, I'll try both of these next time...
>
> Steve

YW. Keep us posted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 16:49:50 -0700, Arri London >
wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:
>>
>> Arri London > wrote:
>>
>> > Drain the cottage cheese well and press the tofu under weight; that
>> > also will contain a lot of fluid.

>> Thanks, I'll try both of these next time...
>>
>> Steve

>YW. Keep us posted.

This is Mexican torta? I make Spanish style (or so I was told a
bazillion years ago).... which isn't a sandwich. It's more like a
frittata.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 16:49:50 -0700, Arri London >
> wrote:
>

> >Steve Pope wrote:

> >> Thanks, I'll try both of these next time...
> >>
> >> Steve

> >YW. Keep us posted.

> This is Mexican torta? I make Spanish style (or so I was told a
> bazillion years ago).... which isn't a sandwich. It's more like a
> frittata.

Torta means several things depending on where one is. It can be a
sandwich in Mexico, the frittata thing (which can also be called
tortilla) or sweet cakes of various sorts. An all purpose type of word

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London > wrote:

>sf wrote:

>> On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 16:49:50 -0700, Arri London >

>> >YW. Keep us posted.

>> This is Mexican torta? I make Spanish style (or so I was told a
>> bazillion years ago).... which isn't a sandwich. It's more like a
>> frittata.

>Torta means several things depending on where one is. It can be a
>sandwich in Mexico, the frittata thing (which can also be called
>tortilla) or sweet cakes of various sorts. An all purpose type of word

Yeah, I now realize I was talking about torta (Mexican)
a couple weeks ago, and now I'm suddenly talking about torta
(Italian) without inserting any clarifying verbiage.

Hey, it's all good. :-)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 09:48:24 -0700, Arri London >
wrote:

>Torta means several things depending on where one is. It can be a
>sandwich in Mexico, the frittata thing (which can also be called
>tortilla) or sweet cakes of various sorts. An all purpose type of word

Aha, thanks Ari!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 09:48:24 -0700, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> >Torta means several things depending on where one is. It can be a
> >sandwich in Mexico, the frittata thing (which can also be called
> >tortilla) or sweet cakes of various sorts. An all purpose type of word
> >

> Aha, thanks Ari!

YVW. It helps to live in a Spanish-speaking area sometimes!